long term storage of nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

t man

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
vermont
I have had 60mg 100% pg unflavored nic liquid stored in the freezer for approx 2.5 years with no change in clarity or loss of nic content. I used 120ml amber glass bottles with PTFE lined caps for storage.
After doing some searching I see there are members here that would be going on 6 years of nic storage and hoping some will chime in with an update on their results so far.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I use 60ml cobalt blue glass bottles, while the liquid nic is at room temperature I fill the bottles nearly full (very little headspace), and cap them. I also attach labels noting content and storage date. I organize the bottles inside opaque sealable, stackable plastic containers and place those (stacked), inside my deep freezer which I keep at -10F.

The enemies of liquid nic are oxygen, UV light and heat. Oxygen can't permeate through glass, "colored" glass helps protect from UV light and the freezer removes heat from the equation. The headspace left inside a bottle contains air which will be sealed in with the nic. Air contains 21% oxygen so the less head space in the bottle the less oxygen available to oxidize the nic. Neither PG nor VG will freeze solid at these temperatures but their viscosity does increase as they get colder (they get thicker).

By using 60ml bottles I can pull one single bottle at a time from cold storage. PG and VG are both hygroscopic (readily absorbing moisture from the air), and so will absorb condensation that forms as they warm to room temperature so I leave them sealed until they've warmed up. Water in stored liquid nic is undesirable, it expedites oxidation and once absorbed it can't be easily removed. I keep 60ml at room temperature all the time for day to day mixing needs. Still protected from UV light and sealed when not in use the room temperature nic will stay viable for a very long time, well over a year.

I've been storing liquid nic in the freezer for a couple of years. It looks, smells and tastes -exactly- like it did when it was fresh. As I add to my stockpile I rotate the stock so that I'm always using the oldest first. I already have way more than I will need but plan to add yet another gallon right before any regulatory cutoff takes effect.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Not to derail this thread but does anyone use the heat shrink lid sealers? Or perhaps Teflon tape to secure the lids before freezing? Overkill?

Back on topic, I have nic about a year old that tastes as good as the day I received it and don't expect it to change.

I would avoid using Teflon tape to seal the lid. With the temperature change it could easily cause a cracked lid.

Reactions: 28if

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
For a liter I get 3 250ml bottles and 2 120ml bottles that become my working bottles. A little 30ml for whatever is left over. So 7 250's and 2 120's should work

My latest liter came in glass. I threw it in the freezer that way. Will separate it when I crack it open

I only have one freezer so it will have to do. Maybe I will get a chest freezer one if these years. But it is better than nothing.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
For a liter I get 3 250ml bottles and 2 120ml bottles that become my working bottles. A little 30ml for whatever is left over. So 7 250's and 2 120's should work

My latest liter came in glass. I threw it in the freezer that way. Will separate it when I crack it open

I only have one freezer so it will have to do. Maybe I will get a chest freezer one if these years. But it is better than nothing.
No need to worry--there will be no more e-cigs or the equipment needed to use them after the FDA enforces their new deeming regulations. Time well spent--contact your Representative and ask him(her)to support HB2058. At this point that is all that would save vaping.

28if

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Outskirts of Detroit Rock City
I would avoid using Teflon tape to seal the lid. With the temperature change it could easily cause a cracked lid.

I should have been a bit more specific. I meant on the outside of the cap to secure the cap to the bottle. I read somewhere someone was using that method.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I'm buying 2 liters tomorrow. I don't want to store the whole thing in 30 ml bottles. What size bottles should I use and will the nic be ok in a regular fridge freezer. I know these questions may be stupid.

I have about 6 liters of NIC in the freezer. 4 liters are divided into 120ml bottles and 2 liters are in 1 liter bottles. All bottles are glass.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
No need to worry--there will be no more e-cigs or the equipment needed to use them after the FDA enforces their new deeming regulations. Time well spent--contact your Representative and ask him(her)to support HB2058. At this point that is all that would save vaping.

I wish the FDA would put as much effort into killing big tobacco as they do in trying to killing the e-cig industry. Typical government crap, If they can't tax the hell out of something then illegalize it. So ironic!

Last edited:

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I wish the FDA would put as much effort into killing big tobacco as they do in trying to killing the e-cig industry. Typical government crap, If they can't tax the hell out of something then illegalize it. So ironic!
Danny,yes, we bemoan the unfairness of it all,but that will do us no good. Please encourage all the vapors on the site to call their Representative and ask for their support for HB 2058 authored by Cole of Oklahoma. This is the only thing that will make a difference now. We have a Senator-Thom Tillis of North Carolina who will sponsor a bill in the Senate. Without the bill,we won"t be vaping any longer. Please help by calling,and or writing you Federal Rep and Senator asking for their support in changing the effective dates to 2007.

Reactions: KentA

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
[...]Without the bill,we won"t be vaping any longer.[...]
Maybe you wont be vaping any more, but the majority of us will be, no matter what regulations comes out. Just stock up on nic, learn to build coils, get some rbas and mods, period, you're all set!

Of course I encourage taking action nonetheless!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe you wont be vaping any more, but the majority of us will be, no matter what regulations comes out. Just stock up on nic, learn to build coils, get some rbas and mods, period, you're all set!

Of course I encourage taking action nonetheless!

It's not just a matter of stock piling It's government interfering with every aspect of your life. You should be able to choose what's good or bad for you and not have government do it for you. governments actions are self motivating and not designed to benefit you there to benefit them selves.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It's not just a matter of stock piling It's government interfering with every aspect of your life. You should be able to choose what's good or bad for you and not have government do it for you. governments actions are self motivating and not designed to benefit you there to benefit them selves.
I fully agree with you! My post solely responded to one single line about we all wouldn't be able to vape after this, in a thread about long-term-storage of nic...

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread