Long Island Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke 3 times in front of them along with Spike and I 100% agree with you. I believe that it is an "image" issue.

If the law makers would have taken the time out to read OUR data, I believe that the vote would have been different.

One of them asked me if I thought that the electronic cigarette was the same as a regular cigarette. I stated "no" and for confirmation let's pull out a webster's dictionary and look up the word cigarette and we'll see that based on that definition that there is a difference!! He then went on to say, "What if I were to tell tell you that the lawyer for Smoking Everywhere was quoted saying that it was in his opinion that the electronic cigarette is the same as a regular cigarette"? I said to myself Sheesh!!! This guy is a lawyer?? My answer to him was..."You have a dictionary handy?"

Seems as if these people already had their minds made up.

Unfortunately reality is 9/10th perception.

As for the lawyer - What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of the class in med school?

Doctor.

duke118

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
Long Island, N.Y
Your not allowed to enjoy anything on LI anymore.....

Your right, We just keep paying the High Taxes and get bulled here.It's OK to ban something with the potential of saving millions of lives.Why spare people a horrible slow death? I see these law makers for what they are here on LI ,Murdering lairs! Just my little opinion.

CattMurry

Aug 2, 2009
I had to stop reading the forums for a few days because news like this makes me feel sick :(
Just an example of how stupidity is more harmful than vapor.

"This vote signals that our local government will not hesitate to take steps to protect the next generation of Suffolk residents from the newest health risks," said the bill's sponsor, Legis. Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor).

I'm sure his next bill will ban people from leaving public buildings unless all exposed skin is covered with sun screen SPF 1000. Oh wait the suns an old health risk.

And if your really worried about kids starting to smoke and the health of the next generation, ban tobacco, then maybe alcohol again.
I mean the government has done such a great job saving the public from
illegal drugs... they've even turned the "War on Drugs' into a REAL SHOOTING WAR.
I can't wait until e-cigs and nic juice are only to be found on the "black market'

Hold on this guys got a clue at least.

"This may be one of the best ways to quit smoking," said Schneiderman, a hotel owner. "It might be good for the economy to create vapor lounges as well."

Hmmm a product that can help control health care costs by getting people off tobacco and maybe even help create jobs....
Ya we need to be protected from that here in the US right about now

And yes the FDA has no problem with people inhaling "FOG" for hours on end in bars, clubs, concerts etc... or selling nicotine OTC at every drug store.......

Yes we do have an image problem. It's just that from a marketing stand point it made perfect sense to call them "E-Cigs", and that's going to take time and advertising we don't have to change

I no longer use the white and red LED "E-cigs" in public places. It seems to me that people have an easier time understanding that it's not smoking if they know it's not a cigarette from start.

Sorry for the rant and I really hope these idiots are voted out next term.

And many thanks to all in the Long Island Vapors Club for doing your best.

u_evan

Aug 16, 2009
I hate to play devil's advocate, because I truly believe in vaping, but I'm wondering if part of the problem is our own community's fault.

We are on a forum right now called e-cigarette-forum.com. We use terms like e-cigs, electronic smoking, electronic cigarettes, smoke, etc. Personally, I think we need to get rid of all the "smoking" and "cigarette" references. Until we do, we will continually be grouped into that evil sadistic world of cigarette smokers! Oh no!

If what we do and the products we believe in HAD NEVER BEEN KNOWN by those other things, and if we just used the terms vaping, vapor, personal vaporizers, and nicotine delivery device it would be viewed differently, IMHO.

Look at Smoking Everywhere. Think about just the name of the company. FU I'm going to smoke anywhere I want. The name itself is combative.

People are going to think cigarettes are evil no matter if they are tobacco, electric, wind powered, or solar. When they hear "cigarette" a preconceived conclusion has already been made.

I agree 100%, I think most of the problem comes from perception. A lot People seem to see PV's as a new way for evil smokers to get around public safety laws designed specifically for cigarettes because a lot of them cant tell the difference. Most people think if it looks like a duck (most PV's are modeled to look like a cigarette), acts like a duck (delivers nicotine), and quacks like a duck (exhale vapor that looks like smoke), it a duck. :(

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I agree 100%, I think most of the problem comes from perception. A lot People seem to see PV's as a new way for evil smokers to get around public safety laws designed specifically for cigarettes because a lot of them cant tell the difference. Most people think if it looks like a duck (most PV's are modeled to look like a cigarette), acts like a duck (delivers nicotine), and quacks like a duck (exhale vapor that looks like smoke), it a duck. :(
No question about it.

I took my 510 to a concert recently, and the lady sitting next to me starts telling me how she has asthma and I can't use that thing in here, even though I'm telling her it isn't a cigarette and what I'm exhaling is the same thing that is pouring off the stage from the fog machines and has already filled the entire arena she is currently sitting in.

But I put it away, because I can't hit a woman.
:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread