Local Gas Station selling KR8's for Arm & Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertfremen

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
MI
ok. I work in retail, in a small shop (at least at the location I'm in) and I do take care of alot of the paperwork and I can tell you this: Yes, he is overcharging.

Standard retail is keystone: what ever the shop owner pays in wholesale (not including bulk discounts) gets doubled. So if he's paying $30 wholesale his top marked price should only be $60.

Anything above that I would considered to be overpriced and really it wouldn't hurt most stores to actually cut maybe 5 (or even 10 maybe?) off that price for the main unit (profit is still easily had). So 50 would actually be a good deal and not that bad for that kit in a B&M.

I would like to say though, that while 70 is high, it's not the worst case of gouging that I've seen in the retail world (in general) by far!

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
Someone has to pay for the electricity, and the building and the people to staff the store.
Everything you buy is marked up dramatically.

Do you really think that it costs Nike 80-150$ to make those shoes?
Those Buckle jeans do not cost them 75$ either.
Wine you pay 30$ for at the liquor store costs the importer 1-5$ a bottle.

It is good to see that e-cigs are becoming more popular and available to the public. It is like any other item being sold. Some people will buy from the higher end store and some people will take the time to find the Wal-Mart price.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I think Smoke Everywhere definitely over charges for their 901 and 801 PV's. Maybe the gas station is also too high at $60. However, I checked into the cost of leasing a kiosk at the mall and the cost was $1400 - $2000 a month. Plus you have to operate it every hour the mall is open, so you will have to pay at least one employee. And they want you to sign a binding one year commitment. Add on top of that there is the cost for insurance, also. So just do the math and the risk involved and you can see why a local, PV only supplier, is at a severe monetary disadvantage over the online supplier. Convenience, plus risk equals higher cost. And then there is the little item of making a profit.

For this market segment to grow, it must become widespread, which means brick and morter suppliers must be encouraged, which means higher cost to the consumer. If it stays an internet only business, it will remain more of a hobby than a thriving industry which will limit innovation and choice in the long run. It will also limit new "manufacturers" from getting into the business. Right now, there is only a few manufacturers of atomizers and they are all overseas. It's in all of our interests for that to eventually change.

callofthevapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
st Petersburg FL
True... I live in a small hick town and I think people quitting here hasn't really happened with the tax hike. So I don't have that perspective.... lol.. Everyone is smoking REALLY generic instead of quitting... blech!

Thats what I did until last summer when the really generics tripled in price.

leeshor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Norcross, GA
Thats what I did until last summer when the really generics tripled in price.

It's all the friggin taxes. They're talking about another tax increase on tobacco here in Georgia, a state tax, of $1 per pack.

The more they get people to quit the more they have to tax it to maintain revenue.

callofthevapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
st Petersburg FL
It's all the friggin taxes. They're talking about another tax increase on tobacco here in Georgia, a state tax, of $1 per pack.

The more they get people to quit the more they have to tax it to maintain revenue.

That's just how governments works. It's a great thing to tax you taking peoples money while telling them you are saving their lives.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
I walk in to pay for gas and see a KR8 starter kit and cartoz for sale behind the counter... Starter kit was $60 and a pack of cartoz were $20!:shock:

Im glad they are available to the public and get them off analogs, but why rob them? lol

That does seem a bit pricey, but in a pinch it would be nice to have somewhere to get some cartos quickly.

I'm wondering, did you talk to the person at the counter and maybe let them know you would buy the cartos if they were cheaper? Perhaps they have no idea better quality stuff is being sold cheaper online.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Too much here now to single out any post.

Keystone applies to high-volume items. Low volume items can sometimes run 300, 400, 500%.

Also, a name-branded gas station makes effectively nothing on gas. That's why the "shop and rob" is so expensive.

A 20oz bottle of soda may well be $2.99 here in a Shell or 76 station. A 2l bottle will be $1.25 in the grocery store, and $0.89 at a mass big-box store.

Remember too that he might not be getting his batteries straight from China (probably isn't, in fact, too low a volume), so the entire chain steps on the price all the way to the consumer.

Given the markup typical in a "convenience-store", that price seems pretty equitable to me.

The business has no responsibility to provide anything for the price you WANT. If they want to stay in business, they'll find product they can offer at the price the majority of their market will BEAR, but again, there is no responsibility there other than to their shareholders.

jaded

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
It could be someone starting to start up a company to disbute them locally got them there and just trying to make money. Nothing wrong with it if you don't make money off something why bother with selling it. At least they are selling a quality product that maybe useful to people rather than some of the "radio" or "get one free" scams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread