Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Two things:

1. There HAS been a study of asthma and cigs vs ecigs: IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Effect of Smoking Abstinence and Reduction in Asthmatic Smokers Switching to Electronic Cigarettes: Evidence for Harm Reversal Article
Effect of Smoking Abstinence and Reduction in Asthmatic Smokers Switching to Electronic Cigarettes: Evidence for Harm Reversal
Riccardo Polosa 1,2,3,* , Jaymin Morjaria 4, Pasquale Caponnetto 1,2, Massimo Caruso 1,3, Simona Strano 1,3, Eliana Battaglia 1,3 and Cristina Russo 1,2,3

2. It is well known that the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide can be eliminated by raising the substance to a temperature of 212 F (aka 100 C) then filtering through charred beans.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Once I saw it again, I remembered that study. Due to environmental conditions, last year's Rim Fire, I haven't been able to give vaping results to a fair test. I hope the OP has better results.

Penn and Teller tried to get dihydrogen monoxide banned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Once I saw it again, I remembered that study. Due to environmental conditions, last year's Rim Fire, I haven't been able to give vaping results to a fair test. I hope the OP has better results.

Penn and Teller tried to get dihydrogen monoxide banned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

Reminds me of that petition to end women's suffrage.

That one wasn't P&T (I don't think), but I just love those guys. That's a great show all around too.

I think my mind's just exploded. All this information is a lot to get your teeth into. Glad I asked yesterday, for my own education, but would love to see the lady's face who I spoke to, to see what she thinks of all this. Once you get into the basics of how things work, it opens your eyes.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The stretches that anti-vapers will make are pretty amusing.

"That stuff has antifreeze in it"

"It still has nicotine, nicotine causes cancer"

"Why don't you just quit?"

"Those things blow up and will take your face off"

"We don't know what's in it"

"It's worse than smoking. Those things have chemicals in them"

"Kids will want to use them, so we have to outlaw them"

"Those things are worse than tobacco cigarettes. I read it in the paper"

The papers don't list the studies that show minimal harm to effects that are no worse than breathing city air.

Last edited:

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
The stretches that anti-vapers will make are pretty amusing.

"That stuff has antifreeze in it"

"It still has nicotine, nicotine causes cancer"

"Why don't you just quit?"

"Those things blow up and will take your face off"

"We don't know what's in it"

"It's worse than smoking. Those things have chemicals in them"

"Kids will want to use them, so we have to outlaw them"

"Those things are worse than tobacco cigarettes. I read it in the paper"

The papers don't list the studies that show minimal harm to effects that are no worse than breathing city air.

Well, they're right on the first point. We do vape anti-freeze - just not the stuff they're thinking about. They're not intelligent enough to realize that the neon green stuff in your car isn't the only kind of anti-freeze out there & that not all anti-freeze is toxic or even mildly dangerous. It's right in step with the dihydrogen monoxide level of thinking.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I would like to see a link – not to hunders of papers, but to single one about long term effects of e-cigs.

I believe vaping is safe for me (believe, not sure), but anything we can put into our bodies can be (and will be) abused, overdosed. Sugar (diabetes), salt (heart), food (heart, diabetes, two seats in airplanes…)
    So, what is a safe limit of vaping? 5 ml a day? 50? 500?

OK, here is a study for you.
    In the 7 years that vaping has been prevelent:
    35,000,000 people have died from smoking (that's 35 MILLION)
    0 people have died from vaping* (that's ZERO)
    How's that for a long term study?!?

The question isn't "is vaping safe", the question is "is vaping safer than smoking".

Here is a couple of things that "studies" have done for us to making vaping safer:

That dreaded DG that the FDA found in their first tests in 2009. Caused by the storage of paper/wood products in the same room that liquids are mixed. ............ easy solution!

Added DA or AP for flavoring can cause obliterative bronchiolitis. (popcorn lung) .......... easy solution!

* one has died from suicide, injected e-liquid
    and one has died from a fire caused by charging a battery

Last edited:

mwjones

Verified Member
    Aug 4, 2014
    PEI, Canada
    Well, they're right on the first point. We do vape anti-freeze - just not the stuff they're thinking about. They're not intelligent enough to realize that the neon green stuff in your car isn't the only kind of anti-freeze out there & that not all anti-freeze is toxic or even mildly dangerous. It's right in step with the dihydrogen monoxide level of thinking.

You should see the looks on people's faces when you tell them it's the same antifreeze that's in their McDonalds milkshake or the vanilla extract their mom makes cookies with.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    You should see the looks on people's faces when you tell them it's the same antifreeze that's in their McDonalds milkshake or the vanilla extract their mom makes cookies with.

I've never heard of it being used in vanilla extract. AFAIK they just use ethanol... another anti-freeze *gasp*.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Just got back from a shopping trip where a fellow smoker was outside while we were there. We got talking and I told her I vaped. She said she couldn't do that because she was asthmatic and her doctor told her it was bad for her and that when you vape you get liquid in our lungs :confused:

I'm asthmatic and it's one reason why I'm vaping. I hope she's wrong here. Has anyone else heard this before?

Have I heard that one before? Yes.

But they always leave out the part about us - oh, I don't know - not drowning in our own vapor or being put in the CCU all day every day with vaping related pneumonia. Yeah - that doesn't ever happen. So...

And before anyone even thinks of it - don't you dare go after the all of two or three alleged lipoid pneumonia reports "scientifically" (NOT) connected to vaping by tabloid newspapers.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    She's not my acquaintance, shame as I could educate her a little and show her this forum, she was adamant though. I think she does need justification, shame really, she'd be a lot better off vaping!

It is a shame you don't know her. It sounds like her argument was really just a justification to keep smoking. As we all know very well though, people don't usually really quit until they are ready to.

Because there has been so little research on vaping and it's effect on our bodies I am guessing few doctors will openly recommend vaping to their patients to avoid potential legal ramifications.

Actually, I've had two doctors recently tell me they definitely thought vaping was a better choice than smoking, and they'd rather see me or any of their patients use an e-cig vs. smoking tobacco. One was my own doctor. The other was my mother's doctor.

No Hot Showers
    No Sauna
    No Walking in the Rain
    No walking along the beach on a breezy day
    * For Goodness Sake DO NOT RUN ANY HUMIDIFIERS!!!!

LOL this made me laugh. Lets not even mention the fact that it's possible her asthma medication contains at least one of the ingredients in ejuice. :D

It is a shame you don't know her. It sounds like her argument was really just a justification to keep smoking. As we all know very well though, people don't usually really quit until they are ready to.

Aye, it certainly seemed a justification to me. I'll bet, like many, she only knows of the lookalike e cigs. I did for a while but when I found out about the tanks, I switched to them and haven't looked back. But as you say, you only stop when you're ready to do so. Let's hope, she rethinks her stance on it. Took me a few years but hindsight's 20/20 and all that. Glad I eventually did it though.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    The beautiful Puget Sound
    Or when you tell them it's in the toothpaste they brushed their teeth with this morning.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

It's also in the snowball juice that they serve kids at ball games. Check the label in the grocery store or Walmart. PG is used as a thickener to keep the juice from sliding off the ice chips. PG is also the defoaming agent in carbonated soft drinks. Many toothpastes contain PG, as well as shampoo and cosmetics. It makes things glide on easily.

Probably the funniest use for PG is in eye drops. I never noticed that, but the Opthamologist at Lenscrafters gave me some samples of eye drops for my dry eyes and the ingredients show the active ingredient is PG .4%.

Last edited:

Ozwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    It's also in the snowball juice that they serve kids at ball games. Check the label in the grocery store or Walmart. PG is used as a thickener to keep the juice from sliding off the ice chips. PG is also the defoaming agent in carbonated soft drinks. Many toothpastes contain PG, as well as shampoo and cosmetics. It makes things slide on easily.

Probably the funniest use for PG is in eye drops. I never noticed that, but the Opthamologist at Lenscrafters gave me some samples of eye drops for my dry eyes and the ingredients show the active ingredient is PG .4%.

It's used in the brewing industry for cooling applications. Fermenters are jacketed, meaning double walled. Between the two are coils where PG is pumped via a controller/cooling unit. Yeast is very sensitive to temperature changes, so this allows you to punch in an exact temperature into a unit (sort of like setting a thermostat, but it's not just an upper or lower limit, it's both) & the glycol (as brewers refer to it) keeps the fermenter at a set fermentation temperature. When fermentation is complete you "crash" the tank - lower the temperature to just below 32F - which causes any particulates in solution to drop out much quicker & clarifies the beer. It doesn't actually come into contact with the product, but it's safer being in a building that produces consumable goods.

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    two or three alleged lipoid pneumonia reports "scientifically" (NOT) connected to vaping by tabloid newspapers.
    As Dr Farsalinos has pointed out, you can't get lipoid pneumonia from vaping by definition since it is defined as caused by oil in the lungs. There is no oil in eliquid. Glycerine is not an oil and neither is PG

There is an activity we don't talk about, which may be confused with vaping and which does use oils.

rsdntbplr

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2014
    Northamptonshire, England, UK
    Because there has been so little research on vaping and it's effect on our bodies I am guessing few doctors will openly recommend vaping to their patients to avoid potential legal ramifications.

My doctor is one of the few that did recommend an eCig. What a wonderful woman :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread