Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As somebody who uses lipos for years, i think your kind of missing the point as of why box mods don't use them.

They are used in regulated box mods quite successfully. There are a heck of a lot of MPV's out there plus all the higher power mods with them.

The problem per se is not that are swollen, but more of that they get swollen for all reasons. Like mentioned before here, these batteries get blown from undervoltage, overvoltage and incorrect storage voltage as well as incorrect handling like deforming it in any way. So, if you charge a battery and put it in a drawer, and take a look at it 3 to 6 months later, its gonna be swollen.

The thing is they do not burn easily. The exception is overcharging them or a puncture, but it takes a lot of overcharge. Even shorted, they get really hot and eventually they pop, but it takes a while and there is rarely fire.

I would not however use one in a mechanical mod.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
meh...

it takes quite a bit of incompetence and/or purposeful intent to violently vent a li-po in most cases these days. trust me. i've tried...

100_5852_zpscf7a7d01.jpg

hazarada

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
buttville
kinda weird nobody has pointed this out - there is no such thing as Li-Po vs Li-Ion. Li-Po is a slang term for a subgroup of Li-Ions and its only defining characteristic is that they are not cylindrical. At some point Li-Po meant something else but nowdays it's same chemistries and working principles, the only differences are the shell and the shape.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
kinda weird nobody has pointed this out - there is no such thing as Li-Po vs Li-Ion. Li-Po is a slang term for a subgroup of Li-Ions and its only defining characteristic is that they are not cylindrical. At some point Li-Po meant something else but nowdays it's same chemistries and working principles, the only differences are the shell and the shape.
But there are square Li-Ion and round li-po.

Defining characteristics IMO are high output, pouch cells and usually come with options for several s and/or p cells such as 2s 2p. Usually with a jst-xh connector for balancing cells and bare leads to solder your connector of choice.

Though none of these are exclusive definitively.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Thanks hazarada, I didn't know that. I thought all Li-po used polymer electrolyte, but that is not the case. The plot thickens, LOL.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Take a couple mm off each dimension for the case and that battery is still huge. Furthermore it's completely unnecessary. Since the capacity is over 5000mah and being sold on a global market it's undoubtedly a 1S 2P pack. 2 cells. Likely with aluminum or silver solder adhering the tabs together for a direct connection. And most definitely glued together physically with an adhesive that makes attempting to remove them from one another a serious risk to the cells and yourself.

There's a reason mod makers don't put cells in their mods over 1200mah on a regular basis. I'm sure they've all searched and settled.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Perhaps this thread has gone well past the subject, but I use A123 LiFePO4 batts in my mods all the time. (18650's and 26650's). Yes, the 3.3V is a problem for some regulated mods, but these work very well in mechs, and are some of the safest batteries around. If abused, they can heat up and vent, but they won't catch fire or explode (if the tube is vented, that is - the battery casing itself won't burst abruptly). Individual cells charge just fine on standard 3.7V chargers (although for the packs you need the correct charger, for the balancing to work properly).

However, there are a lot of counterfeit A123's out there (like anything else, I suppose). I'm fortunate in that I got a friend who used to work there ;-)

And less than 6 months ago, a co-worker had a nasty incident with an RC battery pack. His son had been flying his copter earlier in the day. Came home and set it on his bed. 5 hours later, they heard a huge "Bang", went into the room and the whole bed was on fire. He was able to scoop up the whole thing in the blanket and get it outside, but the incident was still a scary one. This was all relatively new equipment, about a year old, and the pack was just sitting there (not on a charger, everything turned off).

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
And less than 6 months ago, a co-worker had a nasty incident with an RC battery pack. His son had been flying his copter earlier in the day. Came home and set it on his bed. 5 hours later, they heard a huge "Bang", went into the room and the whole bed was on fire. He was able to scoop up the whole thing in the blanket and get it outside, but the incident was still a scary one. This was all relatively new equipment, about a year old, and the pack was just sitting there (not on a charger, everything turned off).

So his son used the battery?
He told you the story?
And now you're retelling the story?

No disrespect but that battery could have been severely abused in countless ways. Not to mention helis in and of themselves are incredibly hard on batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread