Letter to, and response from Senator Claire McCaskill

Status
Not open for further replies.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
At the end of the year I wrote my US Senator, Claire McCaskill, and urged her to monitor the FDA's deeming regulation of E-Cigs. Below is the body of my letter and her response. Take what you will from it. There's no real commitment in her response, and I think she felt she was throwing me a bone in noting that the FDA can't ban tobacco products, but at least she read my letter and responded. While it may not mean much individually, I feel that the more of these that our reps and senators receive, the better. They will at least be aware that there are constituents who are affected by the FDA regulations and they may view the proposed regulations with that in mind.

LETTER

Dear Senator,

I am writing to ask you to look closely at any proposed restrictions on E-Cigarettes and "juices" that are used in them that will be in the Deeming Regulation that will be proposed in the next month or so from the FDA.

I ask that you do so with an eye toward reducing or eliminating any over regulation that would give an advantage to large pharmaceutical and tobacco interests. By placing E-Cigs in regulatory framework of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, the agencies put in place to safeguard our health may wind up jeopardizing it.

This would occur if heavy handed regulation would make it significantly more expensive to reduce tobacco harm by using e-cigs, and reducing the options now available to do so. This would also give the large tobacco and pharmaceutical interests a leg up in meeting any excessive regulatory standards as they have the finances and physical facilities to do so.

E-Cigarettes are harm reduction plain and simple. Democrats have previously supported other forms of harm reduction. I see no reason they can’t do so here. I also think this is one of those rare times when you can join with those across the aisle who are opposed to any regulation and work for a compromise and the good of your constituents who have been able to quit smoking using e-cigarettes. I ask this of you as a lifelong Democrat (I canvassed for you prior to the last election.) and a 30 year smoker who in those thirty years tried everything to quit and found that as soon as I tried E-Cigarettes I put the cigarettes away and have been smoke free for a month and a half.

As there is no provision for attachments in your contact page, I have included a link to a letter from leading e-cigarette researchers to Dr. Hamburg urging the FDA to go lightly in any e-cigarette regulation. If the link does not bring you the letter, please e-mail me and I will be glad to send you a copy.

Thank you for your time.

RESPONSE

January 19, 2014

Dear Mr. -----,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the regulation of electronic cigarettes. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009 (TCA, Public Law 111-31) gave the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate tobacco products. Under the TCA, tobacco products are subject to a number of controls, including registration, product and ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, and adulteration and misbranding provisions, among others. The TCA immediately placed cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco under these requirements. The law also allows the FDA to extend these controls to other categories of tobacco products in future rulemaking.

While the FDA originally regulated electronic cigarettes as drug/device combination products, in 2010 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled that, unless they were marketed for therapeutic purposes, the FDA could only regulate electronic cigarettes as tobacco products. In the FDA's most recent regulatory agenda, it announced that it would be issuing proposed regulations regarding tobacco products subject to regulation under the TCA. While it is possible that the FDA may address the regulation of electronic cigarettes at that time, you may be interested to know that the TCA explicitly prohibits the FDA from banning certain tobacco products or requiring the elimination of nicotine in tobacco products.
Please know that I will keep your views in mind should legislation regarding electronic cigarettes come before the full Senate for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,
6rjau1.png

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
....While it may not mean much individually, I feel that the more of these that our reps and senators receive, the better. They will at least be aware that there are constituents who are affected by the FDA regulations and they may view the proposed regulations with that in mind.....

This is what's important. Her reply sounds very boilerplate, but the fact is, the staffer who read your letter put one more tick on the "constituents who support e-cigarettes" line. The more ticks, the more attention that senator will pay to the issue. Every individual counts!

Well done, molimelight. :thumb:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
What I got last year in reply about a taxation bill:

May 29, 2013
Dear ----------,

Thank you for contacting me regarding taxes on tobacco. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in 2009, Congress passed the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA, Public Law 111-3), which expanded funding, programmatic options, and incentives for covering children through Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program. In addition, CHIPRA equalized federal excise tax rates for cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco, and small cigars. CHIPRA also raised the rates for pipe tobacco and large cigars, though both rates were significantly below the rates for the other tobacco products.

In April, 2012, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued a report on the trade in tobacco products entitled, "Tobacco Taxes: Large Disparities in Rates for Smoking Products Trigger Significant Market Shifts to Avoid Higher Taxes." In the report, the GAO noted that, while cigarettes continued to dominate the smoking tobacco product market, since the passage of CHIPRA, there were significant increases in the sales of pipe tobacco and cigars, with corresponding decreases in the sales of roll-your-own tobacco and small cigars. The GAO concluded that the large federal excise tax disparities among tobacco products created opportunities for tax avoidance, with many roll-your-own tobacco and small cigar manufacturers shifting to the lower-taxed products to avoid paying higher taxes.

On January 31, 2013, Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois introduced S. 194, the Tobacco Tax Equity Act of 2013. This legislation would set the tax rate on all tobacco products at the same per-unit level as cigarettes. The Tobacco Tax Equity Act has been referred to the Senate Committee on Finance where it awaits further consideration. While I do not serve on this committee, should this legislation come before the full Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Sen. McCaskill's letter stated

While it is possible that the FDA may address the regulation of electronic cigarettes at that time, you may be interested to know that the TCA explicitly prohibits the FDA from banning certain tobacco products or requiring the elimination of nicotine in tobacco products.

Except that the Tobacco Control Act prohibits the FDA from banning (and from banning nicotine in) cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products, cigars, pipe tobacco and other traditional tobacco products.

But the TCA does not prohibit FDA from banning (or banning nicotine in) e-cigs, dissolvables, skin creams, heat-not-burn, and other new tobacco products.

Even worse, the "deeming" regulation would ban all e-cigs, dissolvables, skin creams, heat-not-burn and other new tobacco products (per Section 905(j) and Section 910 due to their 2007 and 2011 deadlines).

The good news is that McCaskill hasn't cosponsored any of the anti e-cig legislation (or letters attacking e-cigs) that's were sponsored or written by her left wing colleagues in the Democratic Senate (i.e. Durbin, Blumenthal, Harkin, Brown, Merkley, Markey).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread