Kentucky bill (HB 174) reintroduced to ban smoking and e-cig use in workplaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Kentucky Rep. Susan Westrom has reintroduced legislation (HB 174) that would ban e-cig use and smoking in all workplaces by falsely defining smoking as including the use of smokefree e-cigs. There is no mention of e-cig use ban in bill summary. The bill was referred to KY House Health & Welfare Cmte.
14RS HB173

KY Rep. Susan Westrom claims 65% of Kentuckians support banning smoking in workplaces, but respondents weren’t informed her bill (HB 174) also bans e-cig use.
Westrom's Smoke-Free Bill Gaining Support - ABC36 News WTVQ Lexington Kentucky

On a related matter, the Bullitt County (KY) Fiscal Court enacted an ordinance that banned all tobacco use on all county property (but the news article didn't mention e-cigs, and I couldn't find it at the county's website). But ACS, AHA, ALA, the KY Health Dept and Ellen Hahn aren't pleased because last year (or maybe 2 years ago) the Bullitt County Fiscal Court sued to block the Bullitt County Health Department approved regulation that banned smoking and e-cig use in all workplaces in the county.
http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...0037/Bullitt-County-votes-approve-smoking-ban

KY Gov. Beshear ironically calls Bullitt County’s tobacco usage ban on county property a “wolf in sheeps clothing”, urges support for Health Board’s previously approved e-cig usage and smoking ban (now in litigation) and Rep. Westrom’s state bill to ban e-cig use and smoking in all workplaces (despite e-cigs posing no harm to nonusers)..
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140114/OPINION01/301140016/Help-Kentucky-stop-smoking

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I agree as someone who has lived in Lexington, Kentucky for 10 years and plan to retire later this year but still live here. I am now recovering from lung cancer and if it wasn't for e-cigs (now nicotine free mixes) I would still be smoking. Needless to say the patch, gum and pills didn't work however e-cigs did. I would be on my way to a death sentence now as I wouldn't have been able to quit otherwise. I smoke a pack or more a day for 50 years but quit instantly with no more cigarettes since finding e-cigs. I'm now 5 months free and tumors are gone.

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
Hopefully, this bill will be amended to remove e-cigs as part of the ban. That's what happened last year with a similar bill that died. I can only imagine what the B&M's in the state are thinking (if they know about it) as no one could even taste flavors without walking outside 15' from the frickin front door! Lumping e-cigs in with the known effects of second hand smoke is uninformed BS. As opposed to hearing joecil's story (and many others like it), these politicians can only visualize a 15 year old vaping - come on, wake up! These devices save lives.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Another bill (SB 117), which appears to be the same as HB 174 (it would ban vaping and smoking in nearly all workplaces), was introduced in the KY Senate.
But it's cosponsored by just 3 Senators, none of whom seem to be interested in banning smoking in workplaces (or else they wouldn't have included a vaping ban).
14RS SB117

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
KY Representative Stan Lee has filed an amendment to HB 174 that would exempt e-cigs from the bill.
14RS HB173

All KY vapers and vendors should urge the KY House Rules Cmte, and other Representatives to support Stan Lee's amendment to HB 174.

Also, please thank Rep. Lee, who did the same thing last year.
House District 45

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Looks like a victory for vapers in Kentucky, as Rep. Susan Westrom has filed an amendment (Amendment 5) to her bill (HB 174) that eliminates e-cigs from the definition of "smoking", and that would exempt cigar bars and private clubs from the bill's smoking ban.
14RS HB173

Westrom realizes that she cannot get a majority of votes for HB 174 in the Kentucky House as long as her bill bans e-cig use in workplaces, and as long as her bill bans smoking in cigar bars and private clubs.

It is very likely the KY House will approve Westrom's amendment, but it remains to be seen if a majority of KY House members will support HB 174 even with Westrom's amendment.

KY vapers and vendors should thank Westrom for her amendment, and should especially thank Rep. Stan Lee for filing the amendment to remove e-cigs from the HB 174 (which likely prompted Westrom to include it in her amendment).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread