Status
Not open for further replies.

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
Admin
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    NATIONAL CALL TO ACTION: (UPDATE) KEEP vape MAIL LEGAL!

S. 1253, which would severely impact delivery of vapor products nationwide, is moving back to the US House and looks likely to pass. TAKE ACTION NOW and urge your representative to reject S. 1253!

US - Keep Vape Mail Legal! (Reject S.1253)

S. 1253/H.R. 3842 would permanently forbid shipping vapor products via USPS to people just like me who want to switch to vaping, but don’t have a vape shop nearby. After the rapid growth in popularity of vaping it’s hard to imagine a ZIP code without a vape shop, but these are unusual times. In places where specialty vape shops were deemed non-essential during COVID-19 shutdowns, many businesses were forced to close and reopening is not an option. What happens to their customers?

We want to make sure that 34 million people who still smoke continue to have access to alternative nicotine products that can help them ditch the smoking habit for good. This week our fight is at the federal level, but we already know that states will be pushing to ban online sales in their next session. If we can hold back the tide of bad regulations for even a few more months, we can make a difference in the lives of many people who are trying to switch from smoking to vaping.

Please take a moment to send a message to your U.S. Representative urging them to oppose S. 1253. Be sure to include your story about why vaping is important to you and whether it helped you quit smoking. Lawmakers need to see the very real people who are about to be harmed by this policy.

Click Here to Act Now!

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I pointed out that "Mail delivery is an absolute necessity because packages left outside of mail boxes are more likely to be stolen. So this proposed law would increase the chances of vapes falling into the wrong hands."

??? Signature upon delivery mandate pretty much guarantees that this never happens. ;)

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    ??? Signature upon delivery mandate pretty much guarantees that this never happens. ;)
    Sometimes it happens anyway. They must have faked the signature part, because I never got the package. Anyhow, being at home to sign for a package would be hard for many people.

(Actually, I heard that personalized messages are more impressive to elected officials than just a form letter. So that was the point of this addition.)

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither

Might still be the way it once was in the USPS where you are, but I know of at least one place where that has not been a "given" for over 20 years (where I live). The failure is a combination of lazy postal carriers or lazy postal subs of those regular carriers and a lot of routes here where mail delivery is done by independent non-postal workers that will not walk up to an address. Instead they give them to some unauthorized person, take them back to the PO, and even send them back to the sender. Note that here almost all residential postal routes are "mounted routes" IE, one or two mail locations in a community for all the addresses in that community, or street boxes that hold the mail for several nearby addresses on that street that they don't even have to even get out of their vehicle to leave mail at. UPS is a serious problem here as well, DHL not much better. FedEx still does it right most of the time though. Problem is most sellers won't let you specify the carrier that you want them to ship via.

Somewhat a mute point now days now that I no longer have a need to buy much of anything at all anymore. About the only thing I order online regularly now is food from restaurants that is delivered by a food service I subscribe to that does deliver to my door every time.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Might still be the way it once was in the USPS where you are, but I know of at least one place where that has not been a "given" for over 20 years (where I live). The failure is a combination of lazy postal carriers or lazy postal subs of those regular carriers and a lot of routes here where mail delivery is done by independent non-postal workers that will not walk up to an address. Instead they give them to some unauthorized person, take them back to the PO, and even send them back to the sender. Note that here almost all residential postal routes are "mounted routes" IE, one or two mail locations in a community for all the addresses in that community, or street boxes that hold the mail for several nearby addresses on that street that they don't even have to even get out of their vehicle to leave mail at. UPS is a serious problem here as well, DHL not much better. FedEx still does it right most of the time though. Problem is most sellers won't let you specify the carrier that you want them to ship via.

Somewhat a mute point now days now that I no longer have a need to buy much of anything at all anymore. About the only thing I order online regularly now is food from restaurants that is delivered by a food service I subscribe to that does deliver to my door every time.

Oh, I agree. I was just talking about what that bill intends to do (they did the same thing to snus and dissolvable tobacco 10 years ago--the PACT Act)--not what it will accomplish in RW, other than making shipping more expensive, cumbersome and very, very difficult for people in remote rural areas where private carriers don't go--they leave it USPS to deliver that last stretch--just like the PACT Act did.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I was very disappointed to find out over the weekend that both Reps in my stated voted Yea on it in the senate. I've consistently emailed my rep about it but obviously he wasn't listening. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia
    I was very disappointed to find out over the weekend that both Reps in my stated voted Yea on it in the senate. I've consistently emailed my rep about it but obviously he wasn't listening. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I'm not sure what you found out about your Reps, but according to Congress.gov, nobody actually voted on these bills in the House or the Senate. Both chambers passed the bills by Unanimous Consent(nobody objected). The Senate did amend the bill, so now it's gone back to the House. I'm thinking that the House will pass it again by Unanimous Consent(without actually voting on it), and then send it to the President. A veto by the President may be our only hope.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'm not sure what you found out about your Reps, but according to Congress.gov, nobody actually voted on these bills in the House or the Senate. Both chambers passed the bills by Unanimous Consent(nobody objected). The Senate did amend the bill, so now it's gone back to the House. I'm thinking that the House will pass it again by Unanimous Consent(without actually voting on it), and then send it to the President. A veto by the President may be our only hope.

The website I looked at showed how each senator voted and was listed by state. I may have been looking at the wrong thing but didn’t think so at the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread