Kanthal/Solder Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1324kyle

Nov 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

So I found a little bit of wire to make a coil out of where I keep all of my ecig stuff. I made the coil and used it a few times until I realized that, that wire could possibly be solder wire because it was not on a roll (I ran out of kanthal on the big roll I had) and I do my soldering in the same area .

The vapor tasted and smelled normal when I was using it. I also assume that the solder would have melted when I was heating the coil (which it didn't). So I'm assuming it has to be Kanthal but I would like some other people opinions.

P.S. I'm out of Kanthal and don't really want to go to the store to get any right now so please help me out and don't just tell me to get some new Kanthal.

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
IMO Solder wire wouldn't last if coiled for a rebuildable, it would melt, or at least not be as hard to bend as kanthal. Did you have any trouble doing the coils or did the wire just do what you wanted without any springiness? If it wasn't springy, it could be either large gauge (thinner, AWG to MM is damn annoying) kanthal/nichrome wire or solder wire, easiest way to test if it's either kanthal or solder wire is to try to melt it with a butane torch. If it only glows when heated, then it's kanthal/nichrome/others whereas if it was solder wire, it would just melt instantly when heat is applied. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread