Kanger TopTank Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
An update to the subtank mini. Looks like they are using the toptank nano's design and giving us a 22mm atty which is also compatible with the rba head. They are also coming out with clapton coils for it.

From Google:

Kangertech TOPTANK Mini is Kanger's first top filling sub ohm tank. TOPTANK Mini features the convenient top filing method for e juice filling SSOCC coils.

TOPTANK Mini has 4ml ejuice capacity and adjustable air flow control base. Made with clear glass for viewing the e juice level. Kanger Toptank Mini comes with new Kanger Clapton coils , SSOCC coils and SSOCC Ni-200 coils

I have other tanks, but I still find myself coming back to my subtank mini most often. The flavor is just the best for MTL hits. Hopefully this tank has the same flavor with some improvements in design.

1450371669621-P-3628013.jpg

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I'm very interested in the Toptank Nano and will be picking one up soon.
It is well designed for sure. Nice tanks.

My wife opened her Subvod kit for Christmas and the Toptank Nano doesn't work at all. I can only see it being a bad coil as the mod works with other tanks, but I don't have a 0.5 Kanger lying around to check.

My local B&M will take care of me tomorrow but frustrating when my wife who wants to quit smoking opens her present, I fill it up with her favourite juice, and...... nada.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
is the chimney design/way it fills a little old school and cheap? Also, they have claptons for the subtank so if it uses the same coils They are already out.
It isn't bad at all, honestly.

I like the overall design but if I bought more of them, it would be Minis for sure. The Nano is really tiny.

sandreecigalover

Unresolved Status
Jul 20, 2015
www.vaporvaping.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Shokker

Mar 18, 2015
Germany
Just got my Toptank Mini to replace my beloved Subtank Mini.

The main changes in my opinion:

The drip tip is shorter and made from Delrin. It gets hot faster, but cools down faster, too. A pro is that "mouth gunk" does not build up as easy as with the metal drip tip.

The O rings have changed. A little bit disappointing, since there are no spare o rings included and I have not seen them for sale.

The glass tube has changed and is not yet up for sale, so better be careful.

The afc base has changed, but no big difference.

Three holed coils: It seems to me that the three holed round 0,5 coil needs a little (!) bit more wattage than the two holed square 0,5 vertical coils (like 2 Watts more for what feels to be the same amount of vapor). BTW I think its a little bit careless that the 0,15 Nickel coil is not labeled as such anywhere.

So far the topfilling works well and I´m satisfied with the Toptank Mini.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Just got my Toptank Mini to replace my beloved Subtank Mini.

The main changes in my opinion:

The drip tip is shorter and made from Delrin. It gets hot faster, but cools down faster, too. A pro is that "mouth gunk" does not build up as easy as with the metal drip tip.

The O rings have changed. A little bit disappointing, since there are no spare o rings included and I have not seen them for sale.

The glass tube has changed and is not yet up for sale, so better be careful.

The afc base has changed, but no big difference.

Three holed coils: It seems to me that the three holed round 0,5 coil needs a little (!) bit more wattage than the two holed square 0,5 vertical coils (like 2 Watts more for what feels to be the same amount of vapor). BTW I think its a little bit careless that the 0,15 Nickel coil is not labeled as such anywhere.

So far the topfilling works well and I´m satisfied with the Toptank Mini.

This sums up my thoughts as well. Not a kanger fan usually, but I'm pretty impressed.

I like a cooler vape...the heat produced is a bit much for me, but I'm a bit of a wuss and barely sub ohm. I'm also coming from the Sub tank Plus which has a very long way to cool down, so I think I just need to get used to it. I do like the new coils more though, better wicking, etc.

Reactions: Shokker

Shokker

Mar 18, 2015
Germany
This sums up my thoughts as well. Not a kanger fan usually, but I'm pretty impressed.

I like a cooler vape...the heat produced is a bit much for me, but I'm a bit of a wuss and barely sub ohm. I'm also coming from the Sub tank Plus which has a very long way to cool down, so I think I just need to get used to it. I do like the new coils more though, better wicking, etc.

Ever tried temperature control? Using another drip tip might help too.

Yeah, what I love about the Subtank series: I bought the Subtank Mini over a year ago and was able to keep it up to date during the whole time:
First a new airflow controll with two air slots came out. So I just bought the new base.
Then a new RBA with holes in the side came out. So I just bought the new RBA.
I started with the OCC horizontal square coil heads. Then the vertical square coils with bigger wicking holes came out. Now there are the newest round ones with three wicking holes. And they got better and lasted longer with each update!
So I was able to keep one tank (that works flawless!) up to date for over a year!
Compare that for example to Aspires flagship models during that timeframe (Atlantis, Atlantis 2, Triton, Triton 2...).

Last edited:
Reactions: drysprocket

mav2000

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Hey guys, just got the top tank mini and installed a 1.2 Ohm SSOCC coil in it. While the flavour is super, I am just not able to get it to work without coughing.

What would be the recommended settings in a VTC Evic mini? Any help would be great. Also the coil reads as 1.34 Ohms on the VTC.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Hey guys, just got the top tank mini and installed a 1.2 Ohm SSOCC coil in it. While the flavour is super, I am just not able to get it to work without coughing.

What would be the recommended settings in a VTC Evic mini? Any help would be great. Also the coil reads as 1.34 Ohms on the VTC.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using a similar setup. 1.2 coil on it at about 17 watts on the Presa (should be roughly the same as the VTC).

Maybe a different juice would get rid of the coughing? All I can think of. Also, I'm finding that I prefer the older style smaller SSOCC coils overall; contrary to what I said above. Especially since they allow for more juice in the tank, and don't run quite as hot and no spitting, which the new ones seem to do more.

Reactions: mav2000

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada

Thanks in advance.
I run those coils at 16 watts. You do realize that those coils are regular kanthal and can only be run in wattage mode, right?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I heard the Toptank comes with thinner glass and has a different RBA with smaller holes , i don't know for sure though .

I am not a "must have top fill capability" type of guy and don't mind bottom filling at all , hopefully the regular mini's will drop in price but i doubt it.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I'm using a similar setup. 1.2 coil on it at about 17 watts on the Presa (should be roughly the same as the VTC).

Maybe a different juice would get rid of the coughing? All I can think of. Also, I'm finding that I prefer the older style smaller SSOCC coils overall; contrary to what I said above. Especially since they allow for more juice in the tank, and don't run quite as hot and no spitting, which the new ones seem to do more.

I'm a little confused. The "older" coils are the larger square coils and the "new ones" are the smaller cylindrical ones.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm a little confused. The "older" coils are the larger square coils and the "new ones" are the smaller cylindrical ones.

You are not alone :) There are a few threads about this on here. Short version:

-The older-older coils that you're referring to are the square ones: OCC I believe.
-When the Nebox released, they came out with the SSOCC coils.
-Apparently, people had issues with those coils (I think namely the leaking on the Nebox)
-And now the SSOCC coils have a "newer version" that comes with the Toptank Mini. Most shops online are specifying new vs old. I know SweetVapes is. The new ones are noticeably larger.

What I've noticed- the 'new SSOCC coils' do provide better wicking. They have a 3rd hole in the side that seems to help. But they seem to give more spitting than the previous ones. So for that reason, I'm sticking with the 'older SSOCC coils'

Don't even ask me about how stainless steel comes into play; it's a mess. Basically, just treat these like Kanthal, even though SS is in the name. Picture for you:

rBVaHVaE0AiADzEiAAThWlhZatc557.jpg

mav2000

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the answers guys. I got it to work, but had to dial it down to around 10W to make it usable for me. And then there is barely any vapor. I am using 75/25 VG juice and the taste is just a bit too much for me. This is for someone coming from a cubis, so forgive me if it sounds odd.

The taste is just overpowering as of now. For the time being I have gone back to the cubis and given the toptank a nice wash and left it to dry.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
…. had to dial it down to around 10W to make it usable for me. And then there is barely any vapor. I am using 75/25 VG juice and the taste is just a bit too much for me.

I just bought a Toptank Mini for my incoming istick30 and Pico….Im not into sub ohming or temp control so it was just a case of me wanting something versatile in case I wanted to change to sub ohming later. Also got the Upgraded SSOCC coils with 3 wick holes….1.2 ohm ones.

I will be starting with a MTL approach and read that the Toptank Mini should provide decent flavour … but Im worried about harshness.

My liquids are 65pg/35vg…..and come in 18mg and 12mg strengths.

Is this going to create problems with harshness, spitting, deposits or whatever?

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I just bought a Toptank Mini for my incoming istick30 and Pico….Im not into sub ohming or temp control so it was just a case of me wanting something versatile in case I wanted to change to sub ohming later. Also got the Upgraded SSOCC coils with 3 wick holes….1.2 ohm ones.

I will be starting with a MTL approach and read that the Toptank Mini should provide decent flavour … but Im worried about harshness.

My liquids are 65pg/35vg…..and come in 18mg and 12mg strengths.

Is this going to create problems with harshness, spitting, deposits or whatever?

I'm using 6mg nic for the 1.2 coils at around 16-17 watts. 12mg might be doable if you drop the wattage down a bit, but 18 would be way too harsh in my opinion. I guess it depends on how much you think you need it.

For what it's worth- I've spoken to many people who dropped from 12 to 6nic, and it really isn't noticeable at all. If you use tobacco/NET or certain flavors that you like a strong throat hit with, you can lose a bit of that....but overall, I do recommend trying to at least cut most of yours down to at least 12 for 1.2 coils.

Not sure how high PG comes into play, but 50/50 blends work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread