Just wanted to share my "unwicked" horizontal micro-coil w/ cotton igo-l setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Been using a horizontal micro-coil on a bed of cotton w/ the aga-t2 with so much success that I tried the same thing in my igo-l. I'm still waiting on my 28g kanthal to come in, so I experimented using 32g instead, wrapped 14 times (I think) around a paperclip that produced 2.6~2.7ohms. Took a generous amount of cotton off a ball, tucked some under the coil, and filled the rest of the space up. Ended up adding additional wads between the coil and wall (bottom & bottom/right area of this picture) to help bunch up more of the cotton underneath the coil to ensure solid contact because if it's insufficient, after a few good hits suddenly a few coils will glow red and you'll know it.

vaping like a dream at 8watts, even better at 9.2 watts (max I could go at this resistance on my evic due to voltage limits), getting nice flavor (from what sense of taste I still have left) and great vapor output. When my 28g kanthal comes in, I want to explore this further, something more extreme like 20+ wraps of 28g on a pin needle and seeing what happens. Without any need to thread it, it seems like I'd want to further increase surface area while trying to decrease resistance, though I could be wrong.

Anyone else have experience with this type of design with any input? I'm curious as to how much further it can be pushed with the equipment I have.

FJlvldY.jpg

higskies

Feb 24, 2012
Harrisburg,PA
I like the cotton bed idea. Seems easier to replace than a cotton wick, especially with those tiny coils. How does it function compared to a wick? Is the juice drawn to the heat or do you have to keep it tilted toward the coil?

I've considered an igo-l as my next rebuildable. I've read that the cap comes off fairly easy. Have you had this problem?

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
I like the cotton bed idea. Seems easier to replace than a cotton wick, especially with those tiny coils. How does it function compared to a wick? Is the juice drawn to the heat or do you have to keep it tilted toward the coil?

I've considered an igo-l as my next rebuildable. I've read that the cap comes off fairly easy. Have you had this problem?

I had the opposite problem with mine, I almost needed a set of vise grips to take it off at first. I ended up removing the bottom o-ring and just using the top one and that solved the problem.

The original IGO-L had smaller red o-rings that didn't hold the cap on tight enough. They have since been replaced with thicker black ones so if you purchase a new unit it shouldn't be an issue.

higskies

Feb 24, 2012
Harrisburg,PA
The original IGO-L had smaller red o-rings that didn't hold the cap on tight enough. They have since been replaced with thicker black ones so if you purchase a new unit it shouldn't be an issue.

I imagine the review was from when they were first on the market. It's good to know that the manufacturers are paying attention and making fixes along the way. Thanks for the response!

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
Might could also try something like this:
007_zps162b1fb5.jpg

I ended up using a mattress of SS mesh directly beneath the coil instead of a bed of cotton. (not shown in the photo - at that point, I was trying to see if I could vape without any wick at all. Fail.) The mesh was only beneath the coil which left most of the deck bare. It worked... though it was nothing earth-shattering. But I like your idea of a bed of cotton instead. I may have to revisit this range-top coil design again, but with cotton like you've got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread