Just starting out on DIY juice. Recommendations for the essentials.... Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDola

Jun 26, 2014
United States
New to the forum and DIY juice. I was referred to the vast amount of knowledge and opinions here on the boards by TommyG, a regular at my local B&M. I just wanted to get a feel for what the community thinks is a good starter kit. I love creams, carmels, vanillas, custards, fruits (especially strawberry and peach). I have taken some time to look over the "Best Flavorings" post and got some ideas. Recommendations from bottles and containers to flavorings and sweeteners are appreciated. Keep in mind I am starting from scratch.

rivethead

Jun 6, 2014
Cushing, ok
Hi, i a am new to diy juice myself, I found a reasonable looking kit on onestopdiyshop.com. it is called an artisan kit. It was a supplier recommended from here on ecf. It includes the pg/vg base, nicotine soultion, flavorings, and a decent assortment mixing and measuring glassware and utensils. Also they have a coupon code: ecf, which it says on here is for 10%, but it apperantly doesn't apply to all items. Mine didnt anyway. Cheers.

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
The kits i've seen at DIY vendors include base and nic and gloves and some measuring tools. Typically you choose X flavors from their list. Still need to decide what flavors.

If you browse the flavor sites its easy to end up with a cart full of flavors you hadn't even thought of and a $50 try-it-out can quickly go over budget. Watch for shipping charges and specials like free shipping on orders over $XX. May get a better deal getting it all from one shop and getting free shipping than price-hunting but paying shipping on 2 separate smaller orders.

Sour, Ethyl Maltitol, Sucralose, koolada are flavor modifiers you'd want - maybe menthol

I'd look for a thread in diy recipes section on favorite all-day-vapes ADV - lots of good real recipes in there that could build a realistic shopping list. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...1-what-your-adv-you-have-made-made-again.html

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
DIY Kit for eLiquid - Make your own juice! Heartlandvapes Wholesale

Best all-in-one starter kit I have found so far for beginners. The price is quite fiar, as well. It's everything you need to get started. The only variable is the flavors, but they have a good selection to choose from, and folks here can tell you which flavors are worth trying and which should be avoided based on your preferences. The only one I can definitely recommend to you personally from that list would be "Caramel (Original) (TFA)." A very rich and tasty caramel flavor that is a staple in my mixing arsenal. If you like apple, then Apple(TFA) is also very good.

I also recommend picking up some glass bottles for long term storage of your nicotine solution. 4oz Amber Glass Bottle Heartlandvapes Wholesale

If you feel comfortable pieceing together your own starter kit, then I suggest going to Wizard Labs or Bull City Vapor.

Last edited:

rivethead

Jun 6, 2014
Cushing, ok
I just checked back to see what others have posted and wanted to add a bit more info. I saw a couple recommendations in the $50 range, just fyi the cheapest kit from onestopdiyshop was $30 including shipping, and makes 12 10ml bottles. For me little things can mean a lot, and being a first time shopper, they wrote a little best wishes note on my invoice and included for free 2 pipettes, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 small peices of laffy taffy candy and a pack of gummi snacks. Those little touches go a long way with me. I thought candy was a bit odd, but was a nice suprise for my daughter.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
For me little things can mean a lot, and being a first time shopper, they wrote a little best wishes note on my invoice and included for free 2 pipettes, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 small peices of laffy taffy candy and a pack of gummi snacks.

It's standard protocol for OSDIY to include gloves, pipettes and candy. Also Wizard Labs will randomly include gloves, pipette (size varies) and ether a 5ml tester bottle or a 5ml sample of flavor. I think every vendor should at the very least supply one free pair of gloves.

I got my startup kit from heartlandvapes.com. - 120ml 48mg Nicotine Solution (USP): 50% PG/50% VG, or 100% PG, or 100% VG
1 - 120ml Vegetable Glycerin (USP) Kosher
1 - 120ml Propylene Glycol (USP) Kosher
5 - 30ml Bottles of Flavoring (over 130 flavors to choose from - listed below)
10 - 5ml Bottles with Tips and Childproof Caps
10 - 10ml Bottles with Tips and Childproof Caps
5 - 30ml Bottles with Tips and Childproof Caps
5pr - Nitrile Gloves
5 - 1ml Syringes
3 - 5ml Syringes
2 - 10ml Syringes
10 - Blunt Tip Needle assortment for Syringes
Availability: In stock

$59.99
Most flavors are TFA, though they have some proprietary and some from FW. That kit lasted me quite a bit until my friends started buying my juice. Here it the direct link DIY Kit for eLiquid - Make your own juice! Heartlandvapes Wholesale

Hi, i a am new to diy juice myself, I found a reasonable looking kit on onestopdiyshop.com. it is called an artisan kit. It was a supplier recommended from here on ecf. It includes the pg/vg base, nicotine soultion, flavorings, and a decent assortment mixing and measuring glassware and utensils. Also they have a coupon code: ecf, which it says on here is for 10%, but it apperantly doesn't apply to all items. Mine didnt anyway. Cheers.

Jfreitas1 has a good looking kit on his link. Soon after plan on ordering more vg & pg.

Also at walmart they have very cool measuring beakers for less than $2 in the cooking utensils section. Well worth the price, good for measuring / mixing nice size batches.

Might I also suggest capellas sweet strawberry as a must have flavoring.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
What you need is totally dependent on scale (as in how much you plan on making). If you only want to mix up for your self a small medicine dropper, a 30ml amber glass bottle a 1ml syringe, a few flavors, nic, and base(pg/VG.) is about all the stuff you must have.

Now that I answered let me suggest to search the DIY forums and read the stickies. There are a lot of flavors and chemicals that are not FEMA GRAS. Gras is Generally Recognized As Safe. Anyway learn learn and learn some more. Be cautious with toxic chemicals. Pg can become flammable if heated to flash point. High nicotine concentrations can vent fumes strong enough to do you harm. I don't mean to scare you away from DIY, it just worries me when I see people looking to get into something like this with the "least possible". Good luck. Be safe and ask lots of questions.

Live Long and Vape!

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
If you vape at 3-6, I suggest you buy a 12mg/ml premade base to start learning with. That way to get to your desire level it is easy half or quarter nic to total solution. I use Nude Nicotine. Some folks love them some don't. Also the PG and VG can be sourced from a lot of different labs. Be cautious in purity levels. I buy 99.5 pure VG and 99.7 pure pg. It is important to find out what that remaining .3-.5 is. In most cases it is water or alcohol which is ok. In some cases it is diesel fuel or some other hard core solvent. My point is don't try to save a ton of money by finding exotic sources. PG and VG can be found in several grades. USP is what your looking for.

Live Long and Vape!

TommyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Aurora, CO
I'll second the nic vg base, just to keep your ratios simple. Though I would like to recommend you check out nic bases starting at 60mg, as you'll just use it at 5-10%, simple and cost effective. Starting supplies seem to have been covered, and I'd also recommend the recipe section as a good place to get your flavor shopping list.

Welcome to the forums, if you ever have questions, feel free to ask away, either in threads or PMs.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

nexgen91

Aug 2, 2013
United States
I highly recommend onestopdiy, although you can get measuring equipment cheaper on amazon (grad cylinders, pipettes etc) but for someone just getting started the one stop kit is probably all you will need for now. BTW amazon has good idea on pg and VG to look for the essentials depot brand (100% pure BTW) about $23 for a quart of each. I got my nic from ejuice4u but I'm gonna try another brand later, this one seems kinda harsh.

Last edited:

RocketPuppy

Veteran Puppy
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Bay Area, California, USA
I highly recommend onestopdiy, although you can get measuring equipment cheaper on amazon (grad cylinders, pipettes etc) but for someone just getting started the one stop kit is probably all you will need for now. BTW amazon has good idea on pg and VG to look for the essentials depot brand (100% pure BTW) about $23 for a quart of each. I got my nic from ejuice4u but I'm gonna try another brand later, this one seems kinda harsh.

You can get 2 gallons, one pg and one vg for $54.99 with free shipping from the source.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-218/1-Gallon-Veg-Glycerin/Detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nexgen91

Aug 2, 2013
United States
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread