Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Well on Friday I pulled the Trigger and bought a Minotaur Gaia edition from
kazulinho mods in Portugal. Ordered it on Friday and they shipped on Monday.

Probably will take two to three weeks to arrive. I'm pretty excited to be the Guinea Pig.

When I read his thread and saw this picture I just emailed Rui to find out, this craftsman is putting out a real mechanical, he claims 100% mechanical. No cheap collapsible Springs. It's built to take an AW imr 18650 and I checked all my batteries should fit
minotaur4.jpg

Th unit looks really small the kicker is that it has a drip cup that will fit my Reomizer II and the 510 connector is adjustable with screw driver.

Since I can't find a review anywhere looks like I'm going to have to be the Guinea Pig and put out a review.

The price was decent 105 Euros delivered. or $141.00 Dollars U.S.
I just can't wait for it to arrive. I tracked it and it's moving quickly, tracking shows in Lisbon for international delivery.

Minotaur2.jpg Minotaur3.jpg

Last edited:

davewuvswaffles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Philadelphia
>No cheap collapsible Springs

The point of the spring in the Reo is to collapse during thermal runaway during a short.

I like the mod though, it's similar to something I've been designing and hope to put together this weekend though I wont' be using any wires and plan to make it a hybrid.

Looks awesome though, congrats on the purchase.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Box mods have good aeration. Don't worry I'll be careful.

Anyway real men don't need collapsible springs. [ laughing ]

I'd rather drive a Ferrari than a Volvo.

I wasn't referring to any particular mod there are number of mods that are using collapsible springs and other safeguard mechanisms.

Interestingly enough Rob at Reo just put up a post [Announcement] that he is going to be making changes to the Reo and putting out a sub ohm edition and possible upgrade to deal with Reo performance under sub ohm vaping it will not have collapsible springs and meltable button. I have to give him credit for listening to criticism and reacting by making improvements to his product.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...echanical-reos-will-seeing-some-upgrades.html

This is from Rob not me so I'd appreciate it if you will show the courtesy of being civil.

Last edited:

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Yes, it's been a bit over a month since the whole voltage drop craziness made him take notice of it. The contacts he is using yielded a 0.26V drop on a .39 ohm coil (If I remember the video correctly).

That mod looks beautiful. I love how compact it is and by the looks of the contact it must have excellent conductivity. Congrats on the purchase.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
My testing result was a 1.05 volt v-drop on .50 Ohm.
Reo fans I am respectfully requesting we drop mention of Reo, I want a tranquil civil post and I've avoided talking about the Reo, I bought one and stated my opinion, and it's history.

This thread is about Minotaur and not Reo.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I promise, I will do a thorough review when it arrives.

I ordered on a Friday too late to ship until Monday. He shipped Promptly on Monday November 11th and it shows in Lisbon - International dispatch.

The shipping was only 10 Euros or $15.00 and I wrote about upgrading the shipping after he'd already shipped. Sigh...

I asked how long and he said around 14 days, don't know if he meant working days or calendar days. I'm hoping that it will just show up on my door in two weeks. But he did send it registered mail.

So far I've been very happy with the customer service, every email has been answered in a very timely manner and the product was shipped immediately.

Can't wait to test it. This is the first Bottom Feeder that I've seen using the "High End Mechanical" type of connectors. I almost didn't want to post this thread because bringing this company to the attention of my fellow Forum Going Bottom Feeding Fools could ensure that he'll be out of stock.

Assuming I like it, I'll be sure to score another one, before posting the review, as it looks like I'm the Guinea Pig.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hurray, was totally surprised my mod arrived today 9 calendar days after shipping. I kept tracking it on the site in Portugal and it kept saying dispatched. Showed up at my door with no notice.

I wanted to love this mod, but I don't. I do like it but it has some flaws.

When it arrived no button. Say what, yes it was open on the top and then I looked inside and there was a button. Huh, never seen the like, no instruction book. So I sat scratching my head then I figured it out. Turns out that you insert the battery in the top then the magnetic button goes on top and when it hits the side it makes contact.

The Box itself is very thick sturdy wood. Very finely crafted, with some good weight behind it. I believe it will survive a fall to concrete with just a scratch or dent. This is one of the most thick walled solid boxes I've seen. Tomorrow I'll measure and weigh it so you can get the right dimensions. Finish is just perfect almost too perfect like plastic.
It looks really nice and is very short and compact once I got used to it I found it very ergonomically correct. The Juice Tubes are extra wide and juice squeezes up effortlessly like a champ.

It took some experimenting around until I found the best way to vape on it I've edited this out so look at the post below

Inside, Yes I know you are all anxious to see the inside.

min_3.jpg
1st The Bottle- The bottle seems permanently attached to the brass tube. Unfortunately I don't have this size bottle so for the moment I'm stuck with just the one. A ring of brass either goes through the rubber tube or is holding it in. I'm not sure. But it looks like the rubber hose is permanently attached. On the bright side the tube is extra thick and there is very little excess.

As mentioned above, the Minotaur Gaia is squonking like a champ with very little pressure.

To change bottles you have to unscrew the top while it's still attached to the unit and can be a little messy. PITA

When I screw in the Reomizer 2 the whole inside assembly may move and a potential to twist out the wires seems to exist.

Unfortunately the battery is not tightly seated and there is a rattle if you shake the APV.
Also if I really want to be nitpicky the bottle is crooked.

Seems that learning the ins and outs of the Minotaur is taking some time. I was noticing leaking when I squonked. Turns out that I have to have the Reomizer 2 Very tightly screwed in. One flaw is that there is no space in the catch cup between the Reomizer 2 and the Cup, I believe that if liquid drips out the air hole in the Reomizer 2 that it goes down the side instead of the catch cup. I drilled the hole larger which makes it prone to sputtering an leakage. I have a normal Reo Top so I'll check it again

I've had some liquid leak down side and I'm trying to figure out why.

I also had the Reomizer 2 stop working, I had the pin very far out on it and it may have pushed the pin in the unit down. I did the following. I recessed the Reomizer 2 pin to a normal height and I used a screw driver and unscrewed the pin on the Minotaur. This did the trick. This is a nice feature of the Minotaur that you can screw and unscrew the pin, so you don't have to worry about a recessed Pin.

The bottom prong is not very wide and doesn't always make contact. Seems I have to push very hard on button to make connection. The jury is out on this.

On the subject of batteries. All of my flat top batteries fit and work. Although I'm going to have to double check the compatibility. I had problem with the Panasonic Hybrid cgr18650ch making contact, but it may have been just that I didn't push button hard enough.

By the way I dont' have a volt tester so I tested the unit with my multimeter. I took a open Reomizer 2 and set the Multimeter for 9v battery, then I put the leads on each post and pushed button I'm not sure how accurate my measurements are but I suspcect that my results are close. I used a Nemesis Clone [True Mechanical ]as the Control Unit and results on Nemesis Clone seemed consistent with previous experience and testing. I'm going to redo the tests once I have a 510 Voltage Tester

Minotaur
Ohms .43
Panasonic NCR18650PD Fully Charged .8 V-Drop
Sony 30 Amp Battery Fully Charged .7V-Drop
Panasonic NCR18650 at 3.8V .67 Vdrop

Control
New Nemesis Clone
Panasonic NCR18650PD Fully Charged .54 V-Drop
Sony 30 Amp Battery Fully Charged ..37V-Drop
Panasonic NCR18650 at 3.8V .38 Vdrop

I seem to have a talent for encountering flaws. The Minotaur has a dangerous one. When I was testing and removing RBA while holding my metal nemesis by accident it brushed the outside metal button and the catch cup at the same time. Wham it sparked. Then I duplicated it by taking a screw driver and touching catch cup and button at same time. Wham it sparked. Hard Short. For safety the catch cup should be delrin or the top of the button coated with nonconductive material. The potential to short this APV while in a pocket with change or a key ring exists.

So initial impression. The Minotaur is a mediocre Mod. Resistance is not up to levels of a true mechanical. It has design flaws too.
On the other hand it's easy on the eyes and in a week once I'm used to it, my opinion may change. It does have a really nice look to it!!

Attachments

• min_1.jpg
    min_1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 31
  • min_2.jpg
    min_2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I thought about it and it isn't fair to post this review without giving the seller an opportunity to address my concerns.
Below is the letter that I just sent to him. I'll post his reply, if I receive one.

Hi Rui,
I just posted a thread about your Minotaur.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...otaur-gaia-edition-portugal.html#post11339288
So far it's not very positive, so I feel it's only fair to hear your side of this.

1st The Bottle- The bottle seems permanently attached to the brass tube. Unfortunately I don't have this size bottle so for the moment I'm stuck with just the one. A ring of brass either goes through the rubber tube or is holding it in. I'm not sure. But it looks like the rubber hose is permanent. On the bright side the tube is extra thick and there is very little excess.

Am I correct that the tubing is permanently attached and can't be pulled out.? What do you do when the tubing wears out?

2. I was noticing leaking when I squonked. Turns out that I have to have the Reomizer 2 Very tightly screwed in. One flaw is that there is no space in the catch cup between the Reomizer 2 and the Cup, I believe that if liquid drips out the air hole in the Reomizer 2 that it goes down the side instead of the catch cup.
I've had some liquid leak down side and I'm trying to figure out why.

The Problem seems that because the Reomizer 2 is wide and the catch cup narrow. I could be running into 2 problems.
A.. If the REO is not screwed in the Squonk is going up the sides into the well which has room
B. I drilled a bigger hole in the Reo and sometimes liquid sputters out side but the fit is so tight that the liquid bypasses the well.
Any comments on this could it be fixed with a washer, do you have a larger catch cup option? Any thoughts

3. When you shake the unit the battery Rattles.
Do you have any plans to fix this?

4. The bottom prong is not very wide and doesn't always make contact. Even though black wire is on bottom and red on top, I'm may endup operating the battery upside down as that way it seems to make the best contact.
Jury is out on this one. I'm finding that on the ncr18650pd if I push button very hard always makes contact, I'll have to re-check the Panasonic cgr18650ch
Any suggestions about a fix for this

5. My Ohms testing
Minotaur
Ohms .43
Panasonic NCR18650PD Fully Charged .8 V-Drop
Sony 30 Amp Battery Fully Charged .7V-Drop
Panasonic NCR18650 at 3.8V .67 Vdrop

This is a lot of V-Drop in Sub Ohm Vaping, is my test findings consistent with yours? IE is this typical performance, I wouldn't want to put a false negative on your mod because I received a defective unit.
Is their any suggestions that you have to lower the resistance.

6. Potential Hazard
The Minotaur has a dangerous one. When I was testing and removing RBA while holding my metal nemesis by accident it brushed the outside metal button and the catch cup at the same time. Wham it sparked. Then I duplicated it by taking a screw driver and touching catch cup and button at same time. Wham it sparked. Hard Short. For safety the catch cup should be delrin or the top of the button coated with nonconductive material. The potential to short this APV while in a pocket with change or a key ring exists.

Are you aware of this Safety Issue? What are your thoughts.

7. Design Flaw?
When I screw in the Reomizer 2 the whole inside assembly may move and a potential to twist out the wires seems to exist.
Am I correct?

8. It doesn't fire all the time.
Sometimes I push the fire button and it doesn't fire. Then I shake the unit, the battery repositions and it fires.
Why is this? any fix?

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Looks like I found a fix for the Fire button problem. I put the battery in with Postive upwards. Because this is a wood mod, it's safe to do. I checked with a different manufacturer as I haven't heard back from the Minotaur folks.
Shame they don't have the pride to defend there product.

Last edited:

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
Thank you very much for the review. Really appreciate it. Turns out is isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'm still waiting on the sub ohm kit for the Reo and gonna give the Reo a shot. I'm sure it's taken longer than I thought to release probably due to the creator testing conductivity and working out a few kinks.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
The voltage drop is high, that's for sure. Funny I got recently an original Nemesis and the voltage drop is very close to that. (I've gone so far down to 0.2 ohms just to test it and if memory servers right it was about a 0.65-0.7V drop.) I had the impression by looking at the contacts that vDrop was not going to be that high. Go figure. Thanks for the in depth review. Hope you hear back from the manufacturer.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I sold it on the forums and after shipping and fees lost about 1/2. I might have started it higher or held to my asking price. But since I didn't like the unit, I felt more comfortable selling it at a lower price. When people pay higher price they expect more.

The good new is that the new buyer is very happy with it and left me positive seller feedback. Hurray!!
I would have felt really bad if he wasn't happy and would have taken it back.

I was thinking about taking it to a friend who's good with electronics and had him tinker with it. Silver Solder on the contacts. welding things together, etc.. but just felt too much wrong with the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread