Joye eGo Performance Going Downhill - Any tips or is it time to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spudboy

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
I've been using my Joy eGo 510 kit for about four months now and I noticed lately that the performance is going way down. Not much vapor production, even with brand new atomizers. I'm wondering if the batteries are slowly dying and no longer operate at the correct voltage. They still last for a long time but I'm getting bummed out on the crappy performance and having to inhale with all my might for a proper hit.

I'm also thinking it might be time to upgrade to something a little better and pricier. Can someone recommend something that would be the "next step up"?

Thanks!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
After 4 months I'd say your batteries are getting weak.

Agreed.

One thing you can do is to clean the contacts/threads with ISO or some contact cleaner (including center post). Make sure all oxidation is cleaned off since it can add resistance. Might as well clean the charger side too. And as long as you have the stuff out.... the cordless phones that you set in a cradle often need it too.

As far as mods go.... the list is so large you will have to research. Try a replacable battery mod (that uses 14500 or 18650 batteries for example). You can get 3.7 volt, 5 volt, vari-volt.....

Then you only swap out the $5.00 battery. You'll need a charger too tho.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
My batteries are also SLIGHTLY starting not to be as powerful/or it may be my lung function is feeling better so it seems that way. I agree they are probably starting to go downhill. Backups are a golden rule just for this reason to be prepared when the inevitable happens. I have to get extra backups myself, plus I really want to get a lavatube VV mod. A cheaper version of the provari or so people say. Its still not officially on the market yet. Its the upgrade I plan on getting personally.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
If you're looking for inexpensive mod, slightly more powerful than the ego, check these out...
Diamond Mods
Shine Mods
They're 3.7v with one batt configuration, or 6v with another, I think.

Those are some seriously cute mods for $25! I'd guess your batts are fading. I've used my ego happily for over a year now, and just starting to delve into some more powerful options. For me, I just want something a little stronger. But you may well try cleaning the threads inside the 510 connection with slightly damp cloth. I use witch hazel.. not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I wanted something slightly astringent. Also, you can always just buy new batts for ego. I get mine from HealthCabin... fortune to ship from china, but if you're stocking up on cartos (boge 5pack for $4.50) and other stuff at the same time you still save a ton, even with shipping. Liberty flights (w 20% off button) is another good option. Personally, i couldn't decide if I wanted a fixed voltage 5v or a vv, so everyone told me to try one of the cheap vv boxmods at madvapes ($35, but with charger and batts about $60). I put out a 'WTB' listing in the classifieds here, and some fabulous person sold me one of his VV boxes, charger and batts for just under what I would have paid for the box alone, so that's an option. But seriously, HIGHLY suggest one of those VV boxes. They're amazing, performance wise. I resisted just cause I'm not fond of the terrorist detonator look ;) but finally gave in, and the performance... whew! And you can find your vaping 'sweet spot', voltage wise, since they range from around 3v up over 6v. They don't HAVE to be horrible looking, either. I'm about half way thru decorating mine, and its pretty darned cute, actually. Good luck! Get a cheap vv box, satisfy your current cravings, and that'll help you decide where to go from here. ;)

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Grab a couple new batteries. I have a couple echo-e batteries I like. They're 4.2 volts, 1300 mah. Got them from Bill in the suppliers section. I still have one of my original batteries from my first pv if you can believe that (I actually lost it for awhile and found it again). Still going, but weak. But I keep a lot of batteries in rotation. Really liking the vv ego batteries too.

spudboy

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Thanks for all the responses guys! As much as I would love to get a mod, don't really have the spare cash for them. I actually tried an older atty and it seemed to work great. I think the new atty I've been using was a dud.

I can afford some LR Boge attys. Is there any particular vendor that has them for a good price? I see Vapelite has them for $4 each and I'm wondering why they are a lot cheaper than a regular 510 atty - I assumed the LR's would be more expensive.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

My 900 mAh eGo batteries are hitting the seven month mark and are only now starting to go down hill. And by that I mean the run time is getting shorter - down to about 3 to 4 hours. But the technology of these batteries is such that they either work, or they don't. (Huh?) They have a voltage detection board in there and the battery will continue to operate until it drops below a pre-set voltage and then turns itself off. In other words, as long as it's turning on when you hit that button (assuming manual batteries here) you should be getting sufficient voltage to work a standard 510 atty just fine. They don't go "weak" like conventional batteries. At end of life when they are chemically spent they just die a rapid death where they might only run for a couple minutes before shutting down.

So if the battery is turning on when you hit the button the next questions would be: Is everything else ok?

It sounds like you found your problem if you back-tracked and located an old atty that is working better than the new ones you bought though. Unfortunately it sounds like you got an entire bad batch. How is your supplier on customer service? See if they will still exchange. If they won't you could try:

Cleaning the contacts of everything as someone else suggested is always good to do as routine maintenance.

Are you making good contact? Make sure you are screwing the problematic attys firmly onto the battery. Not too hard, but a bit more firmly than the one known to be working.

Did you flood the attys? I don't mean a total leaking all over the place mess. But that coil waaay down at the bottom isn't very big. And if you have a lot of fluid surrounding it - too much - it will drop your vapor production. Blow out the attys and see if you get a lot of liquid coming out. Try again. You can even try taking a drag off the atty without a cart in place. (Be careful of the atty getting hot.) If you get more vapor out of the atty with no cart in place than you do with with a cart in place, and can get many good drags off it - too much liquid down there at the coil. Clean the excess liquids out.

If the vendor won't replace them you can try this, but be careful. There is potential for this to kill the things entirely. (But if they aren't working satisfactorily - what the heck?) Take a large size paper clip and gently give a poke into the center hole at the battery connector end. There is a possibility that they atty coil is too far away from the wick/bridge. Don't over do this, and do it gently. Go straight in with the paper clip, apply a little pressure - you will feel resistance, and the second you feel something move the tiniest bit - stop. Try the atty again. This fixed an under performing atty for me.

Rick

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Thanks for all the responses guys! As much as I would love to get a mod, don't really have the spare cash for them. I actually tried an older atty and it seemed to work great. I think the new atty I've been using was a dud.

I can afford some LR Boge attys. Is there any particular vendor that has them for a good price? I see Vapelite has them for $4 each and I'm wondering why they are a lot cheaper than a regular 510 atty - I assumed the LR's would be more expensive.

Maybe you should try some Boge 2.0 cartomizers. They should run around 8 or 9 bucks for a box of 5. Normally the LR cartos are the same price as the standards.

I like www.crystalclearvaping.com for the excellent service, good prices, and free shipping. While you are there, throw in a box of the CCV Resurrectors and give them a try. They work fine on an Ego.

If you go with cartomizers, be sure to fill them up completely before you try one for the first time. Otherwise you may get a permanent burnt taste. The Boges should hold around 20 drops and the Resurrectors nearly twice that.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I'm also thinking it might be time to upgrade to something a little better and pricier. Can someone recommend something that would be the "next step up"?

1) Confused.

2) But OK. More atties. If cleaning it off didn't help performance, and cleaning the atty doesn't help... A different atty may. Note that LR atties die faster, as a general rule, than SR atties. However, they hit harder and vape better.

The other option is to go 3.7 volts and slightly higher-than-Lowest-R ohms (like 2.0 ohm). You can make a 3.7 volt e-cig for less than $10.00 not counting batteries and charger. In the long run, batteries and charger are less expensive.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
A 3.7V PV will give slightly warmer vapor and slightly more TH than an ego and they really arnt more expensive. I use an EpOwer and love it. Batteries last over a day for me and their only $4 to replace since their non-proprietary. The riva and kGo are also nice 3.7v PVs. The ressurectors will work on the eGo fine but they won't be at their full potential. Their made for a 3.7V and hit awesome on the Riva, EPower, and kGo.

CCV is def an awesome place to get your cartos. They have the Ressurectors and the Boges and they guarantee all cartos purchase. You get a free syringe with all packs of cartos and if you buy 15 you get a free syringe and a free drip tip. They also have free shipping so it's nice when your just buyin cartos.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Maybe you should try some Boge 2.0 cartomizers. They should run around 8 or 9 bucks for a box of 5. Normally the LR cartos are the same price as the standards.

I like www.crystalclearvaping.com for the excellent service, good prices, and free shipping. While you are there, throw in a box of the CCV Resurrectors and give them a try. They work fine on an Ego.

If you go with cartomizers, be sure to fill them up completely before you try one for the first time. Otherwise you may get a permanent burnt taste. The Boges should hold around 20 drops and the Resurrectors nearly twice that.

Right now (today is thanksgiving) StormysVaporCellar.com is having their annual $5 boge sale, so you can get the boge LR cartos for $5 a pack, instead of the approx $8 they usually run. Limit 5 boxes of five. Also, I totally get being broke, but if you try a new carto option and its not working for ya, for $25 you can get a Shine or Diamond mod (3.7v) which will be a little stronger than your ego. Can also be configured to 6v, I think, but that's a great deal on a mod if other options arent' working. In other words, you don't have to spend $100 to get more power. ;) Good luck! Oh, btw, for filling the boges, the best way to get full saturation on first fill up for best life is the Taryn Spin, imo. There's videos showing you how all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread