JAMA runs another DHHS funded junk study and editorial saying e-cigs are gateways to cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While several million daily smokers have become daily vapers (clearly a gateway effect), there’s no evidence ANY nonsmoker has become a daily vaper. But JAMA publishes another deceitful DHHS funded junk study and accompanying editorial (by Big Pharma financed AAP’s Jonathan Klein) falsely insinuating e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes; study irresponsibly excluded all baseline smokers and only inquired about “ever use” of e-cigs and cigarettes, finds 11 nonsmokers who used an e-cig before smoking a cigarette.
JAMA Network | JAMA Pediatrics | Progression to Traditional Cigarette Smoking After Electronic Cigarette Use Among US Adolescents and Young Adults
JAMA Network | JAMA Pediatrics | Electronic Cigarettes Are Another Route to Nicotine Addiction for Youth

JAMA Pediatrics published this crap today.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Reactions: DC2 and DrMA

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The real outrage of this "study" is that it expects people to remain stupid little children all their lives. It expects adults to live according to their immature promises, made in ignorance and under duress, and places an unreasonable demand upon e-cigs that they should do so, and implies that e-cigs should be banned if they don't.

Reactions: Rossum

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
"Almost 70% of e-cigarette users progressed to conventional cigarette use". Wow, that's a load of crap. Why do people hate these things so much? My god this is so bizarre. How could someone get so bent out of shape about these things that they would blatantly lie in such a hard core way? Gotta be the moneys.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Guys, until we the voters put an end to the 'Politics As Usual' bunch in washington and the state capitols we will continue to enjoy this kind of Propaganda.
You are seeing folks like Trump 'political outsiders' becoming viable candidates. I see this as a retaking of what once was a great country from the worthless excuse for leaders that have run this country into the ground.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
This further demonstrates how anyone can cook numbers to come up with whatever conclusion they want. The Wall Street Journal recently published an article entitled "Who Has College Football's Biggest Home-Field Advantage?" I was astonished to see my Kansas Jayhawks listed at #4. Are you kidding? Since 2008, when KU won the Orange Bowl, it's had one of the worst records in all of college football. Whether home or away, they lose most of their games. The only reason their home game record is less horrendously bad than away games is because their few home wins have been against truly lousy teams. And when they play at home, most of the fans who bother to show up leave at half time.

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
While several million daily smokers have become daily vapers (clearly a gateway effect), there’s no evidence ANY nonsmoker has become a daily vaper. But JAMA publishes another deceitful DHHS funded junk study and accompanying editorial (by Big Pharma financed AAP’s Jonathan Klein) falsely insinuating e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes; study irresponsibly excluded all baseline smokers and only inquired about “ever use” of e-cigs and cigarettes, finds 11 nonsmokers who used an e-cig before smoking a cigarette.
JAMA Network | JAMA Pediatrics | Progression to Traditional Cigarette Smoking After Electronic Cigarette Use Among US Adolescents and Young Adults
Uh, oh.
Funding/Support: This study was supported by grant R01-CA077026 for the survey from the National Cancer Institute (Dr Sargent), grants R01-CA140150 and R21-CA185767 from the National Cancer Institute (Dr Primack), and grant KL2-TR001088 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (Dr Soneji).

Maybe SmokeyJoe, Katya and Tom Frieden would like to reassess? Well, not too hopeful about Frieden. He's probably thrilled with this "study".
JAMA Pediatrics published this crap today.
Crap is right!

Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids for Electronic Cigarettes | Page 5 | E-Cigarette Forum

editors question truth of studies | Page 2 | E-Cigarette Forum

Grand Inquisitor Tom Frieden lets his mask slip | E-Cigarette Forum

"interventional epidemiology" <gag>

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Uh, oh.

Maybe SmokeyJoe, Katya and Tom Frieden would like to reassess? Well, not too hopeful about Frieden. He's probably thrilled with this "study".

Crap is right!

Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids for Electronic Cigarettes | Page 5 | E-Cigarette Forum

editors question truth of studies | Page 2 | E-Cigarette Forum

Grand Inquisitor Tom Frieden lets his mask slip | E-Cigarette Forum

"interventional epidemiology" <gag>

I was really rude with this. I didn't get the impression that SmokeyJoe or Katya were promoting this crap, just showing us that it's being promoted as a developing field in science with supposedly great promise, as though it hasn't done enough damage already. I got too intolerant of merely mentioning it without criticizing.

I guess it's obvious I hate it. It's dangerous to pretend it can be put to good use before our society makes much more progress in rooting out corruption in all areas, let alone health, medical and other science research, and related implementation of policy.

My apologies to SmokeyJoe and Katya. But not to Tom Frieden. He makes me sick, and promotes policies that almost seem intended to destroy people's health in order to benefit himself and his co-conspirators.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I took a week off work since posting the OP.

Although there some false and misleading claims in the study, and far more in the accompanying editorial (written by Big Pharma financed AAP, which first claimed e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes when urging FDA to unlawfully ban e-cigs in 2009), the headlines of the three coordinated press releases issued by JAMA, UPMC and Dartmouth committed the worst fraud of this campaign of lies.

Press releases by JAMA, UPMC and Dartmouth outrageously and falsely claim that DHHS funded Primack et al junk study found that e-cigs are gateways to smoking Progression to traditional cigarettes after electronic cigarette use in young people | EurekAlert! Science News
E-Cigs Serve as Gateway to Teen Smoking
E-cigarettes serve as smoking gateway for teens and young adults, Pitt-Dartmouth study finds | EurekAlert! Science News

JAMA, UPMC and Dartmouth press release lies about DHHS funded and JAMA published junk study by Primack et al dupe lazy and stupid news media to repeat disproved false claim that e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes
E-Cigarettes Are a Gateway to Tobacco, Study Says
Yep, e-cigarettes are a gateway to smoking
E-Cigarette Smoking Gateway To The Real Thing, Study Finds « CBS Boston
Another Study Finds Kids Who Vape Smoke Real Tobacco, Too - NBC News
Medscape: Medscape Access

But here are some more objective critiques of this fraud orchestrated by JAMA and the study's DHHS funded authors.

Brad Rodu: E-cigarettes – Gateway to Fatally Flawed, Federally Funded Research
Tobacco Truth: E-Cigarettes – Gateway to Fatally Flawed, Federally Funded Research

Mike Siegel – In my view: Reporting of findings on JAMA Pediatrics study is inaccurate
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: IN MY VIEW: Reporting of Findings from JAMA Pediatrics Study is Inaccurate

Christie Aschwanden – Ignore the Headlines: We Don’t Know If E-Cigs Lead Kids to Real Cigs
Ignore The Headlines: We Don’t Know If E-Cigs Lead Kids To Real Cigs | FiveThirtyEight

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
It's unfortunate that most of those sites do not allow comments, nor did the people who are reporting on this "study" bother to question its validity, point out its flaws, or gather any conflicting views. It can be quickly and easily shown that what is being reported about this study is not supported by the study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread