It's DIY Time For Me

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Welcome to ECF :thumbs:
Have fun with your new juice mixing!! You'll be able to get lots of great tips on the Forum, this is where I learnt how to mix it up!
Thanks. My recipe (I think) will be a pretty basic 70/30. A splash of Menthol, a splash of Mint and 16mg +/- of Freebase or Pure Nic. Sounds simple enough. (Shrug)

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks. My recipe (I think) will be a pretty basic 70/30. A splash of Menthol, a splash of Mint and 16mg +/- of Freebase or Pure Nic. Sounds simple enough. (Shrug)
    Minty!! A two flavour recipe is a very simple one and always good to start with minimal flavours. Feel free to pop on over to Random DIY Thread and you will be able to plenty of good info from plenty of very nice people!! Random DIY mixing and More

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    TLDNR: cheapskate vaping
    My specialty is cheap. How to vape for the lowest possible $/mo. and lowest effort input. The result is juice that is in no way special, and isn’t particularly consistent. I think I can do it for about $usa20/month though.

Cheapskate dos:
    1. Get only the stuff you need.
    Don’t bother with the DIY kits. They’ve got a bunch of stuff in em you don’t really need and may never use. You will need measurement equipment, but those and possibly some funnels and juice bottles is more or less it. Even 100mg nic base can be washed off if dealt with promptly. It doesn’t affect instantly. Paper towels are handy.. there will be spills. Mix over an impervious hard (like in a kitchen) surface and you can wipe anything off.
    2. Buy wholesale.
    Juice components can have very long lives if properly stored and don’t take a lot of space. You can often get away with buying in bulk. The savings can be huge.
    3. Buy off label.
    “Vape” supplies often get a major bump for being vape, but are often the same. USP Food grade kosher VG and PG is the same no matter whether it’s meant for restaurants, livestock, health and beauty, or vaping. For vaping frequently doubles the price though. SS316L wire of a given diameter is used for lots of things. It’s just tough marine grade stainless. Candymaking flavoring is often vastly cheaper, but you need to make sure it doesn’t contain stuff that can be eaten but not breathed. Like oils or diacetyl. They’ll sell butterscotch or cinnamon stuff for example that you don’t want to go near. (Well maybe occasionally a little cinnamon. Cinnamon oil is mighty good in vapes if not good for you. It needs to sit mixed for a loooong time)
    4. Don’t go nuts with measurements.
    Using single flavors makes things much simpler as the ratio is already worked out. I eventually stopped using measurement devices as my bottles were always the same. I could do it by eye. Made things a lot faster. Less consistent, but faster.
    5. Storage matters.
    Nic base lasts a whole lot longer in the freezer. Unprotonated Nic is broken down by light and heat. Freezers block both. I keep Nic in the freezer, flavors in the fridge, and bases under the sink in gallon jugs. Their unrefrigerated shelf life is years.
    6. Squeeze bottles rock.
    I got a bunch of empty squeeze bottles at the dollar store. I transfer bases to them as needed. Their spouts make getting things into little juice bottles easy.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    I agree with the comments that you don'tneed a lot of kit - pre TPD I just used a measuring jug, tipped the liquids into an empty distilled water bottle, shook it up a few times for one day and I was good to go.

There is a separate section on ECF with info, recipes, hints and tips - well worth a visit.

One other thing - note what you mix when experimenting, so that when you make a winner you can replicate it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I agree with the comments that you don'tneed a lot of kit - pre TPD I just used a measuring jug, tipped the liquids into an empty distilled water bottle, shook it up a few times for one day and I was good to go.

There is a separate section on ECF with info, recipes, hints and tips - well worth a visit.

One other thing - note what you mix when experimenting, so that when you make a winner you can replicate it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
    Something that is accurate to the 1ml or a food scale that zeros (which is even more accurate than that) is handy. I was told to get a plastic graduated cylinder, which does work but is kind of a pain. A big syringe with no needle is what I’ve been using lately since I’m titrating down. When I was just holding steady I just bought a bunch of unicorn bottles and marked them. Then I just filled up to the line and didn’t measure out anything. You may already have a food scale. If not a 20ml plastic syringe is often cheaper. It’s mixing flavorings that gets the touchiest. I simply avoid it by only buying single flavors. Even 2 though and the scale needs to come out if you want any consistency.
    With flavorings the ratio is more important than the actual amount.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Back in the pre TPD days when I last made my own liquid, things were much simpler, As I only then vaped unflavoured I could mix by volume alone.

I'd buy a 250 ml bottle of premixed 50/50 PG/Vg and the same sized bottle of nicotine at twice the strength I wanted and combine the two in an empty litre distilled water bottle - so I didn't need a lot of kit.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    To start, I think I'll get a scale. I have syringes in many sizes that will be handy as well. Knowing DIY would eventually come, I've saved quite a few 60ml premix bottles, but they're too fiddly when they're below half full. Given that, I have 10/120ml Gorilla bottles to use in rotation.

I have some nice 30ml bottles I'll use for testing small batches by weight, to minimize waste.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    If your syringes are marked (tends to rub off) and they’re in the sizes you need, and you’re not going complicated recipies you don’t even need that. Scales do provide more than 10th ml accuracy but if your doing more than a ml for each flavor and you pay attention to you meniscus you should be fine. That said, a food scale of sufficient accuracy that zeroes is generally well under ten bucks

Reactions: Real-ist

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    If your syringes are marked (tends to rub off) and they’re in the sizes you need, and you’re not going complicated recipies you don’t even need that.
    We have many sizes on-hand from dealing with our pets.
    Scales do provide more than 10th ml accuracy but if your doing more than a ml for each flavor and you pay attention to you meniscus you should be fine. That said, a food scale of sufficient accuracy that zeroes is generally well under ten bucks
    I'm more concerned with experimentation of small quantities, test batches and such. I'm thinking ahead, if I want to dabble in clear flavors. And, it will be used for other, I'm sure.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I used syringes and graduated cylinders for a few years. DO put a strip of cellophane tape over the markings on the syringes :)

Then I did get a scale, and mixing got a lot easier and more repeatable. Be sure it will go to 0.01 gm.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    I had a ton of flavors, but in the end i found my ADV flavor and i am vaping it for years now.
    So 99% of my vape is this flavor and sometimes i just buy some juices from shops to try.

I went this far, i just made my own booster syrup pots of 200ml 30MG VG with 5x strength flavorings, enough to put in a liter bottles and add PG/VG, no more syringes, no more measuring.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    I had a ton of flavors, but in the end i found my ADV flavor and i am vaping it for years now.
    So 99% of my vape is this flavor and sometimes i just buy some juices from shops to try.

I went this far, i just made my own booster syrup pots of 200ml 30MG VG with 5x strength flavorings, enough to put in a liter bottles and add PG/VG, no more syringes, no more measuring.
    I like that - to my mind simple solutions are always good!

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm more concerned with experimentation of small quantities, test batches and such.

Keep in mind that even a 0.01 scale might not register just one drop of anything. So there's that limitation. Unfortunately a 0.001 scale will but at the affordable price points are very inaccurate at the low and top end of the scale's capacity. Generally a 0.001 sucks for eliquid so you want to stick with 0.01 and understand it's limitations.

I and many others on vape forums use the ~$40 AWS LB-501 scale. It doubles as a postal scale for me for small packages.

Others are satisfied with this one, too.

If you're just making simple one-flavor (or two-flavor) juices and merely experimenting with what percent to use for those 1 or 2 flavors, you should be fine with almost any 0.01 scale.

Last edited:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Keep in mind that even a 0.01 scale might not register just one drop of anything. So there's that limitation. Unfortunately a 0.001 scale will but at the affordable price points are very inaccurate at the low and top end of the scale's capacity. Generally a 0.001 sucks for eliquid so you want to stick with 0.01 and understand it's limitations.
    Right. Scales, like micro torque and in/lb are tooled for specific use and applications within a specific range. I don't think I'll be chasing that degree of accuracy in one scale. And I don't plan to have more than one scale.
    I and many others on vape forums use the ~$40 AWS LB-501 scale. It doubles as a postal scale for me for small packages.
    This is one I've glanced over. If it works for others, it should suit for my mixing needs as well. I haven't looked at any others just yet.
    Others are satisfied with this one, too.

If you're just making simple one-flavor (or two-flavor) juices and merely experimenting with what percent to use that flavor, you should be fine with almost any 0.01 scale.
    Overall, I'm not in a yank to need something just yet. With Amazon, I've had plenty of recent deliveries of which the packaging (should have been) could have been a lot better than it was, regardless the time if year it us. I'm hesitant of the thought, ordering a scale through them.

Users who are viewing this thread