IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME....

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
It's about the time of year for ordering the Tobaccos I wish to extract for my next year or two of vaping.
I always wait until Winter for this. As I have posted on other threads, there actually is such a thing as a tobacco Beetle. They lay their larva inside tobacco leaves, but the larva cannot mature until the temperature reaches 72*F, preferably in humid conditions. This is why Commercial Humidors are always cool and dry when you walk into them.
Mail ordering tobaccos in the summertime would allow these tiny little beetles to hatch, and possibly effect the flavor of your extractions. But wintertime, particularly when a good Canadian cold front sweeps down, makes for for temps to transport bulk (1 once packages) pipe tobaccos.
Tobaccoreviews.com, pipesandcigars.com, and Smokingpipes.com are good research points. Assuming, of course, you already have an idea of how strong you want your e-liquids to taste, and maybe even what kind of tobacco and/or blends you prefer.
On a personal note, the top note flavors I extracted two years ago like Nations Capitol and Creamy Butterscotch have faded outliving some plain tasting tobaccos. But my Midtown Chestnut is still delicious. Trial and error does teach well.
Feel free to join the discussion, ask questions, or offer advice.

osky

Jan 1, 2024
Do you only use pre-made blends, or do you also include single tobaccos and mix them? I live in a relatively warm region and have never encountered issues with pre-made blends from Mac Baren. Even in our climate, they stayed relatively moist, presumably due to the use of a humidifier and preservatives.

I believe pre-made blends are already treated, and I doubt any organisms can thrive in them.
However, when I ordered just loose tobacco leaves, they were delivered in quite warm and dry weather.
How can I tell if there are any pests as you mentioned?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Do you only use pre-made blends, or do you also include single tobaccos and mix them? I live in a relatively warm region and have never encountered issues with pre-made blends from Mac Baren. Even in our climate, they stayed relatively moist, presumably due to the use of a humidifier and preservatives.

I believe pre-made blends are already treated, and I doubt any organisms can thrive in them.
However, when I ordered just loose tobacco leaves, they were delivered in quite warm and dry weather.
How can I tell if there are any pests as you mentioned?

They can be seen, although they are smaller than gnats, and they will make the tobacco taste horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread