iStick Pico Mega Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
So the day has finally come when the threads on the battery cap of my Pico have become too worn to stay on right. Now I'm kind of in a last-minute rush to get it replaced (I also have an istick 100 but it's a dual 18650 and is way bigger).

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get to replace it? I'm thinking about just ordering another Pico, but I have a feeling the threaded battery cap will still be a problem later (granted it lasted probably two years). I'm also not crazy about not being able to have a tank bigger than 22mm (not a deal breaker, but I don't like the limitation).

Here's my criteria:
- Small size: I carry it in my pocket all the time, and it needs to fit in there :)
- Lightweight: my dual 18650 iStick is pretty heavy in my pocket (better wear a belt ;)
- Fairly cheap but dependable: my Pico was around $20, never left me SOL, and after two years is still functional.
- External battery: I have 18650's but wouldn't be opposed to something new.
- Wattage and TC SS modes: I usually use wattage mode but sometimes switch to TC (with stainless steel coils).
- Power: I vape relatively low wattage (between 13-20 watts). I like having the option to go higher (ex. 80w) but honestly haven't went that high and probably won't need to.

I'm not looking for an awesome upgrade or anything, just something to replace my Pico for daily use. I didn't really keep up with things after I got my last mod, so I'm not sure what's changed, what's good/popular, if there are new features to look for, etc. so I was hoping some of you guys could save me some research time :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
For me the choice would be easy, another pico. I have 3 of them and think they are great.
That's kind of what I was thinking, but it feels like of dumb considering my problem. I wasn't crazy about the threaded battery cap when I bought it because I figured the threads would get worn over time, and not sure enough that's what's going to kill it. Such a dumb minor design problem for them to have made :( my iStick has a magnetic cover which is great because that will never have this problem. The price is great, too... I could get two or three for the same price as some other comparable mods.

However, even with the battery cap problem, it still has been a great device. It's never unexpectedly stopped working or anything, it's nice and small/lightweight, has an external battery, and can go up to 80w (although I'm not sure you should with a single 18650, but that's another story). Also, if it had to stop working, I suppose my battery cap problem is a convenient way to do that. I can still get it on fairly tight or hold it down if needed, which is much better than if it would have stopped working while I was at work.

How long have you had your's, and have you had any problems with the battery cap?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's kind of what I was thinking, but it feels like of dumb considering my problem. I wasn't crazy about the threaded battery cap when I bought it because I figured the threads would get worn over time, and not sure enough that's what's going to kill it. Such a dumb minor design problem for them to have made :( my iStick has a magnetic cover which is great because that will never have this problem. The price is great, too... I could get two or three for the same price as some other comparable mods.

However, even with the battery cap problem, it still has been a great device. It's never unexpectedly stopped working or anything, it's nice and small/lightweight, has an external battery, and can go up to 80w (although I'm not sure you should with a single 18650, but that's another story). Also, if it had to stop working, I suppose my battery cap problem is a convenient way to do that. I can still get it on fairly tight or hold it down if needed, which is much better than if it would have stopped working while I was at work.

How long have you had your's, and have you had any problems with the battery cap?

Pico 25 can accommodate tanks up to 25mm. You can order extra battery caps aswell for Picos.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

There isn't a battery cap problem. I use the one Pico all day every day, partly to see how long it will last. The battery door threading is fiine. I'm careful with it and don't remove it very often because I use the onboard charging. The cap has unusually fine threading for such a large diameter so it's easier to cross thread so BE CAREFUL.

Reactions: stols001

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
There isn't a battery cap problem. I use the one Pico all day every day, partly to see how long it will last. The battery door threading is fiine. I'm careful with it and don't remove it very often because I use the onboard charging. The cap has unusually fine threading for such a large diameter so it's easier to cross thread so BE CAREFUL.
As a best safety practice, you should be using an external charger made specifically for charging batteries (sorry if you already know this, I just feel obligated to mention it).

That would also help explain why your threading is fine. I take mine off probably at least twice a day (every day for over a year). You said there isn't a battery cap problem... I didn't mention it's defective or anything, I meant it wasn't a good design decision. A magnetic cover would have been much better and wouldn't be prone to problems due to wear over time.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Pico 25 can accommodate tanks up to 25mm. You can order extra battery caps aswell for Picos.
Thanks, good to know about the Pico 25. That's kind of crazy, it fits a bigger tank but is actually smaller in size. Also hope to know about replacement caps, although since you can get the whole mod for $16-$20, it might make more sense to just get a new one.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Another advising the Pico 25. It meets all your requirements and goes up to 85 watts.
It is a touch wider and deeper the Pico 75TC you had, but not enough to really notice.
Being able to use 25mm tanks is great also! My OBS Engine Nano's are great on them - All three of them ;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks, good to know about the Pico 25. That's kind of crazy, it fits a bigger tank but is actually smaller in size. Also hope to know about replacement caps, although since you can get the whole mod for $16-$20, it might make more sense to just get a new one.

Meant you could order a couple of extra caps for backups. You've already found you wish you had a small mod backup. Get the 25 and caps, then you'll have two.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Meant you could order a couple of extra caps for backups. You've already found you wish you had a small mod backup. Get the 25 and caps, then you'll have two.
Good point, it would definitely be worth adding some extra caps to an order for a new mod. It looked like they were about $1 so I could get one to replace my current bad one and another one for any potential future problems.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good point, it would definitely be worth adding some extra caps to an order for a new mod. It looked like they were about $1 so I could get one to replace my current bad one and another one for any potential future problems.

3 caps, one you need and a backup for each pico. If it were me I'd buy 5.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah I thought about that... a single backup or maybe two backups, one for each mod. On one hand it's taken this long for me to need a backup, but then again they're cheap enough.

Do you happen to know where to get a good deal on the Pico 25? I saw 3fvape has it for about $33, but the Pico Mega is only $18. Seems like a big difference in price considering the minor differences in the mods (but it looks like the mega is on sale).

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yeah I thought about that... a single backup or maybe two backups, one for each mod. On one hand it's taken this long for me to need a backup, but then again they're cheap enough.

Do you happen to know where to get a good deal on the Pico 25? I saw 3fvape has it for about $33, but the Pico Mega is only $18. Seems like a big difference in price considering the minor differences in the mods (but it looks like the mega is on sale).

Use vapecrawler.com to price check.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
After seeing the thread below I have an Eleaf Invoke on the way. Dual Battery mod in a small package with a great center mount atomizer design and a nice display that looks like OLED. Got mine for $32.95 (mod only) from VapeShop.com in Colorado. This one looks like a game changer. The center atomizer mount allows tanks up to 27mm. Mine's black, but the white/gold model shows the styling a little better in a picture.

ismoka-eleaf-invoke-kit.jpg

Smallest Dual 18650 Mods

Last edited:

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
After seeing the thread below I have an Eleaf Invoke on the way. Dual Battery mod in a small package with a great center mount atomizer design and a nice display that looks like OLED. Got mine for $32.95 (mod only) from VapeShop.com in Colorado. This one looks like a game changer. The center atomizer mount allows tanks up to 27mm. Mine's black, but the white/gold model shows the styling a little better in a picture.

ismoka-eleaf-invoke-kit.jpg

Smallest Dual 18650 Mods
I saw that thread before I posted this and briefly checked it out, but I'm not sure I would want a dual battery mod due to the weight when it's in my pocket. However, this does look like a pretty nice mod. All of the dimensions are actually smaller than the Pico Mega except for the height, but it's only 3.5mm taller. It also looks a lot more advanced than what they used to be (it shows amperage, battery levels for each battery, etc.). It also has a flip open battery door so no threading to be worried about. I'm not sure how I feel about the tank being centered, but it might not be a big deal considering how small it is anyways. And at $33 it's not much more than the Pico 25.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I saw that thread before I posted this and briefly checked it out, but I'm not sure I would want a dual battery mod due to the weight when it's in my pocket. However, this does look like a pretty nice mod. All of the dimensions are actually smaller than the Pico Mega except for the height, but it's only 3.5mm taller. It also looks a lot more advanced than what they used to be (it shows amperage, battery levels for each battery, etc.). It also has a flip open battery door so no threading to be worried about. I'm not sure how I feel about the tank being centered, but it might not be a big deal considering how small it is anyways. And at $33 it's not much more than the Pico 25.

Most of the time I carry a Pico 40W or Pico 75W in my pocket when I'm out. If I think I'll be gone all day and partially into the night I take the Smok Alien 220W just because it can go two days on a pair of 30Q's. It's bigger than the Pico but it still fits well in a pocket. The Eleaf Invoke should do the same in a more compact package.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Any suggestions on where to find them? At first I did a quick search and saw some results, but looking a little closer I'm not sure if they're really for the iStick Pico.
Some spare top caps for the Pico would be handy but I can't locate them - anybody got a link?
This looks like it MIGHT work: arc Pico Battery Cap

However, it's $2.50 plus flat rate shipping of $4 (so $6.50 shipped). It might make sense if you buy a couple of them, but you can get the whole mod for under $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread