Issues with Lightning Vapes protank3 dual coil assembly-comes disassembled & not prebuilt-Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
I purchased 10 protank 3 dual coil assemblies from Lightning Vapes. I am having some issues with flooding.

Kanger Protank 3 Dual Coil Head Assembly - Whole Unit or Parts - Lightning Vapes

They see almost identical to kanger prebuilt coil heads, the differences seem cosmetic. I have been rebuilding my kanger coils for about 6 months now so my issues aren't from lack of experience.

No matter how i build it, it floods the coil area and gurgles. When i lift off the chimney my coils are swimming in juice. Doesn't matter how much liquid is in the tank or what material i build with. I have tried the extra silicone cap trick that works with single coil gurgle issue to no avail. i am not building any differently then when i rebuild actual Kanger heads.

Does anyone have experience building with these?

I am using a protank 3 with the airflow control base (I haven't tried using the regular base but I can't reason that being the issue). It is a dual coil build using 32g kanthal and 2mm readywick (I have also used cotton) It measures at 1.8 ohms.

Unlike the prebuilt dual coils I do not put a flavor wick in between the coils but rather on top. It is a pain in the ... trying to get a flavor wick in between and this is the way i have been doing since I started rebuilding kanger coil heads and have never had an issue.

Please someone who has had experience help me. This is driving me nuts. I thought I had found a affordable way to buy a ton of these heads for a great price that i build since i tear out the prebuilt coil when I get the regular ones. 10 for $10 or 25 for $20.

Only things left to try is to put a flavor wick in between the coils. I have stuffed some cotton on top of the flavor wick and while it isn't as bad it is still spitting hot juice into my mouth.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I purchased 10 protank 3 dual coil assemblies from Lightning Vapes. I am having some issues with flooding.

Does anyone have experience building with these?

It is a dual coil build using 32g kanthal and 2mm readywick (I have also used cotton) It measures at 1.8 ohms.

Unlike the prebuilt dual coils I do not put a flavor wick in between the coils but rather on top.

Please someone who has had experience help me. This is driving me nuts. I thought I had found a affordable way
Only things left to try is to put a flavor wick in between the coils.

I have stuffed some cotton on top of the flavor wick and while it isn't as bad it is still spitting hot juice into my mouth.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

so my story:
I have been doing this for about a month
bought specifically because of the upgrade bdc style tanks
don’t like the dual coils... (bdc)

so after experimenting with dual coils (don’t like) I just tore them apart,
then build them as single coil…

one of the first things I notice with the bdc, is you can see right thru them
installed, while in the tank of fluid ?? (between wick & chimney thru silicone cup)
also, No flavor wick in the bdc…

lots of room (I like) inside for the lone single wrapped coil, so I filled the void with wicking material
and experienced an over saturation just as you said...
so obvious to me, was try less, and it has been working for me...

are you building bdc or bcc ? (2 or 1)
I just build them just like my bcc body coils
2mm (I.D.), stuff with cotton yarn, 2mm flavor wick on top…
at first I allowed the bare coil wire to stand to tall in the opening
which allowed fluid to get underneath, but now I make sure the
coil sits low in the opening (even with bottom) and all is good...

now when done, I can also see thru my coils while installed
2mm wrapped in 32ga, 2.2Ω , 2.2mm yarn - aerotanks & T3’D

my hypothesis: tanks are design to wick so well, the extra
wicks gets over saturated and the coils can’t compensate
thus not able to burn off the excess fluid…
once I lessened amount of wicking inside, never had any more trouble...

not sure if that makes any sense to you (hope so)
but ask away if needed as I am very pleased at how it works for me...

:)

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
What are you powering the Protank with? When you test fire the coils do they both glow, and if yes do they do so evenly?

Are you saying you are used to building singles, or used to building duals and somehow these duals are different?

These Mini Protank 3s are giving me wicking issues as well, with rayon. Cotton yarn works fine. My issue is that I am using 28 gauge and it seems the rayon is drawing in more juice than the coil can burn, like the guy above is suggesting.

Last edited:

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
I actually went bigger and made 2 roughly 3mm coils (i have previously used 2mm and way smaller w/out issues in my dual kanger builds), w/ cotton wick and it seems to be working alright. I still can't figure out why there is such a difference between these and authentic kanger duals but who knows.

Thank you guys, you got me thinking a bit more, frustration was getting to me.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
hmmmmmmmm, that's interesting you think your problem lays
with perhaps the Lightning Vapes blank coils...

will be curious what you end up with,
as I thought I might like to add some to my cart sometime in the future...

(sometimes I find those coils 'built' for less than $1 ea)

let us know...

:)

ps: there is no mountains in N Ohio, but the worlds largest 'Glacial skid marks' can been seen @ Kellys Island

Last edited:

crg31953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mayville, WI
Did you happen to watch the YouTube video from Sean of Lightning Vapes?

It uses 3 3mm wicks, bottom and top wicks have 8 wraps of 32awg kanthal and one 3mm wick between them. The kanthal is wrapped like a micro coil, tight.

I have tried his method and it works fine if you don't mind silica wick. I am going to try the method with cellucotton and see how it works.

Keep us informed if you would please!

maraud

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Awww, come on friend! I guarantee if you do it yourself you will be much happier!

The closest I ever got to this (besides using an actual RBA) was to rebuilt my single coil PT heads. Which was not too much of a pain but in the end I just decided I'd rather spend an average of $1-2 a week MAX on new coils. Wasn't worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread