Issue concerning battery in BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I guess perhaps I was being a little reckless today. I usually bring my SB and BB to work with me. My locker is in the far end of the locker room, in a little cubby hole area. I often stealth vape back there, keeping my mods in my locker, usually on the upper shelf.

But today, I absent-mindedly tossed both of them into the front pocket of my cacky shorts hanging on a hook in the locker. I had done this occasionally before. There seemed like a lot of room in there and I didn't think for a moment that this could cause a serious condition.

I returned to my locker a few minutes later and grabbed my SB. It's a white one, and I noticed that it was covered with what appeared to be black soot. I'm thinking, "Now where did all that come from?" I have both mods outfitted with DCT tanks, and noted that there was no e-liquid leakage from the tank.

Next I reach into the pocket to retrieve black BB. It is hot!! And, I notice there is either fluid leaking out from button, or something has liquified the paint finish in this area. I carefully unscrew the BB and remove the battery. Sum tang wong here. :ohmy:

The battery ends have partially separated and most of the skin/paint on the barrel has melted away. The BB itself appears none the worse aside from some slight marring of the paint finish around the button. The inside barrel of both ends appear perfectly normal.

So, what just happened? I'm assuming that the button on the BB got pressed in the pocket, probably from lying next to the SB. The BB battery became over-stressed and vented from overuse...or is this considered a battery explosion? I use a Pila charger for both battery types (14500 Trustfire protected 900 mAh and 18650 AW ic protected 3100 mAh). I've always felt that this is the safest charger on the market because of its multiple stage charging.

Is the BB safe to use? I'm assuming that in case of a battery catastrophe that the button vents just like the SB button does. I put a newly charged battery in and the button seems to work fine. It will draw and produce vapor. Do I need to send this to Altsmoke for inspection?

Moral of story, be very careful where you put your BB. :blush:

View attachment 108827 View attachment 108828

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
I would consider that it vented, typically the 'explosions' that people talk about are from batteries that vent that don't have anywhere for the gases to go and in essence cause an explosion from the gas build up. The units have vent holes to allow the gas out of the button. You're more then welcome to send it in for inspection. The SB's are pocket friendly where as the BB, with it's exposed switch, is not. When I say this I'm referring to pockets that dont have other things in them, the BB can be activated by being pushed against the leg.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok, an update. The BB appeared to have survived the vented battery fine. A new battery worked just fine, as did the switch. Even had Rob check it out at the new store in Columbus. He offered to take it back to New Philly but I declined as it seemed to be working.

Well, a few days later it has stopped working. :( The head doesn't appear to be getting electrical connection from the battery. I made sure the carto connection is clean, battery contacts clean, slightly stretched the hot spring, etc. Voltmeter reads zero. Opened a ticket with customer service. :mail:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread