Is the PROVARI worth it...YES and I will explain WHY. Facts, not fanyboyism. Plz Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I should put a kick in a chi you clone and run it over a few times then vape it just to shut the Provari owners up. Heck it's actually faster and more intuitive to adjust a kick as well.
It's comments like these which reveal that you have no credibility and don't know what you are talking about.

Not meant to be mean, but if you knew anything about a Provari you wouldn't make such comments.

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Maybe you should read this WHOLE THREAD from the beginning to know why people think the Provari is so special? I have seen not one person defend DNA20 as being this special. And soon, the Chinese will be selling them for under $100.

Yet, to this day, no one can replicate a Provari, and the Chinese have been trying for 3 years now. You need to physically test your Vamo vs a Provari, using the same atomizer. You'll be a believer in 5 minutes.

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
Hmmm... Perhaps because she owns and uses one, and you don't. Until you do, you have no clue as to what you're talking about. ;)
I've vaped a Provari a bit. It literally isn't capable of putting out enough current for my vaping.

This generation of devices are the reason people moved to mechs.
It's comments like these which reveal that you have no credibility and don't know what you are talking about.

Not meant to be mean, but if you knew anything about a Provari you wouldn't make such comments.
Explain. I could throw a chi you off a 10 story building, throw a new atty on and vape it. A kick is a easier interface for me. And wattage is a superior method of adjustment. Particularly if you're going to make the device a pita to adjust.
Maybe you should read this WHOLE THREAD from the beginning to know why people think the Provari is so special? I have seen not one person defend DNA20 as being this special. And soon, the Chinese will be selling them for under $100.

Yet, to this day, no one can replicate a Provari, and the Chinese have been trying for 3 years now. You need to physically test your Vamo vs a Provari, using the same atomizer. You'll be a believer in 5 minutes.
It's impossible to clone a Provari. Because it is a name brand. When people buy a status Symbol they don't want a Chinese knockoff.

They ride the name they made for themselves.

People buy a dna for the performance. This is why it is a successful business model to knock it off.

I wasn't saying that a vamo is anywhere near the durability of a Provari. The point was quite the opposite. The vamo is trash and can survive what will destroy a atomizer. This was to bring attention to a Provari surviving what destroyed an atomizer being a stupid Refrence. Since even garbage will survive that.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
It's a name brand? You mean like Chi Yus? Or Nemesis? And name brands can't be cloned?

You are a newbie vaper that read a lot of confusing stuff huh:)?

And... you vape at 20 watts do you? What ohms are your atomizers that need 20 watts? Because I've yet to meet the person who needs to vape 15 watts, let alone 20 watts... because for starters, you would be vaping burnt unless you used steel mesh wicking. And that in itself is really gross.

Which juice can handle 20 watt vaping btw?

And what's your battery life like at 20 watts continuous vaping? With which ohm coil?

Last edited:

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
It's a name brand? You mean like Chi Yus? Or Nemesis? And name brands can't be cloned?

You are a newbie vaper that read a lot of confusing stuff huh:)?

And... you vape at 20 watts do you? What ohms are your atomizers that need 20 watts? Because I've yet to meet the person who needs to vape 15 watts, let alone 20 watts... because for starters, you would be vaping burnt unless you used steel mesh wicking. And that in itself is really gross.

Which juice can handle 20 watt vaping btw?

A .88 ohm coil in a mech on a fresh battery is 20 watts. Does that sound extreme to you?

Mechs like a nemisis or chi you aren't status symbols. They are good functioning mech devices that look nice.

Heck I think the biggest reason people like the nemesis is the art work on it. Which is unlicensed use of an actual artist's work. Ironic when people complain about it being cloned. The logo on the device is intellectual property thieft.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've vaped a Provari a bit. It literally isn't capable of putting out enough current for my vaping.

You kind of have it backwards... When I started vaping over 3 years ago, many of us were wanting to drop mechs like the plague, and ran with open arms to the Buzz Pro, ProVari, ect... There was no such thing as sub-ohm vaping. We got by just fine with 901, 801, 510, and 306 atomizers.. That's about all there was except for cartomizers.

I own many mods.. Have you owned a DNA20? I just sold my Hana v2, and have a v3 DNA30 due to arrive on Tuesday.. Guess what? Both the ProVari and DNA mods have their place, and I use them for different builds. I own some mechs too. This is 2014, and folks (including myself) are paying $200.00+ for mech battery tubes which have no electronics, no safety protection unless one uses a Kick or fuse, and a guaranteed steady voltage drop-off as soon as you hit the switch. (non-kicked of course)

Safe, variable voltage / regulated power is really where it's at IMO. I just play around with the mechs since I have no need or desire to sub-ohm.. If I do find the need, I'll use a DNA device, or mech with a Kick 2 (genuine deal.. not the $12.00 Chinese rattlesnake "Kick".) In this day and age, mechs to me, is kind of like going hunting with a spear and flint knife. :)

Right now, I'm running a 1 ohm AWG 28 dual-coil on my ProVari @ a nice, regulated 3.8v.. Exactly where I like it until the battery is drained.. :vapor:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
A .88 ohm coil in a mech on a fresh battery is 20 watts. Does that sound extreme to you?

Mechs like a nemisis or chi you aren't status symbols. They are good functioning mech devices that look nice.

Heck I think the biggest reason people like the nemesis is the art work on it. Which is unlicensed use of an actual artist's work. Ironic when people complain about it being cloned. The logo on the device is intellectual property thieft.

AHHA!!! So you don't even have a DNA20, you are talking about mech mods. I have mech mods too. And... you realize that a DNA20 can't handle sub-ohm vaping right? I'm not able to get into the electrical part of that, but by all accounts, there's NO point in going sub ohm on a DNA20, only on a mech mod. So why are you talking about DNA20s?

And I just bought the greatest most simple mech mod for $16. Here's the difference... DNA20 and Provari VV are REGULATED chips that deliver consistent power from the first vape to the last of the battery. That's up to 12 hours of continuous identical vaping. Mech mods drop off continously, so your first hit is the best, then gets progressively worse til the battery's dead.

Why would you even compare a Provari OR a DNA20 to a mech mod? The one is a VV chip, other is a VW chip, mech has NO chip.

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
AHHA!!! So you don't even have a DNA20, you are talking about mech mods. I have mech mods too. And... you realize that a DNA20 can't handle sub-ohm vaping right? I'm not able to get into the electrical part of that, but by all accounts, there's NO point in going sub ohm on a DNA20, only on a mech mod. So why are you talking about DNA20s?

And I just bought the greatest most simple mech mod for $16. Here's the difference... DNA20 and Provari VV are REGULATED chips that deliver consistent power from the first vape to the last of the battery. That's up to 12 hours of continuous identical vaping. Mech mods drop off continously, so your first hit is the best, then gets progressively worse til the battery's dead.

Why would you even compare a Provari OR a DNA20 to a mech mod? The one is a VV chip, other is a VW chip, mech has NO chip.

A dna 30 fires down to .5 ohms. I'm building multiple dna devices as we speak. But a high power related device eliminates the need to sub ohm to get the power we need. Now 5 volts at 1.25 ohms gets us the 20 watts but we save .76amps of draw.

One with a stainless box and carbon fiber inlay. Also with wireless charging and a micro usb.

Material cost is still substantially less than a Provari.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I'm confused. You think that a $179 Provari that is always available is a status symbol? Compared to DNA20 mods that cost $100-$300 more money and are only made in limited runs? Really? Dang, Provari is good:).

As for material cost being less, of course it is, you are building it yourself. That doesn't mean you can buy one for less than a Provari, because unlike your own time, no one else will sell you theirs free.

As for the sub-ohm, seriously, WHY do you need to do it at all? What kind of battery life are you getting at 20 ohms using a .88 coil? I made a 1.1 coil on a kayfun and it was such a harsh throat hit I couldn't stand it. Sub-ohm vaping from my perspective is a novelty. But I'm not that familiar with it, so explain why you like it?

Can we see a pix of your box?

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I've stayed out of this thread until now, so forgive me the old wall o' text as I comment on various posts. :)

I will attempt to play devils advocate and try to put forward a reasonable and fair counterpoint...

Feature Set

The Provari, when it first came out, had an amazing feature set. The rest of the vaping world has caught up and even surpassed it. Let's look at some of the things that ProVape really needs to look at "improving"

a. Threading. 510 Threading while still essentially a standard is not a great one. There are tons of stories of 510 connectors getting broken or bent or cross threaded. The Provari is a 510 only device. Ego Cone threading, IMHO solves a lot of the issues with 510 threading. It allows for better airflow and typically provides more surface area so that it is less likely to snap off. While you can get an eGo to 510 converter, there is no excuse why Provape has not modified their device to have eGo and 510 threads standard...
For $6.99 + shipping, you can buy the best 510 to eGo converter out there. Stainless steel, full delrin insulator and adjustable solid brass center post. The only catch is that ProVape is the only one who makes them. I have three. If you want to test drive ProVari quality, $7 will get you there.

2. How many new ProVari owners start threads because their Provari crapped out? I saw at least three different customers complain on these threads of DOA units in the two weeks surrounding the holiday's alone. Their concerns were pooh poohed by the Provari owners as "due to high volume during the holidays"

...But I just wonder why is it, that ProVari owners are so insecure in their purchases that they have to bash everything else out there, (while secretly buying them)
I didn't see any DOA's. I did see more than a few people sending their ProVari's back in for repair because the circuit board wasn't glued properly, allowing it to shift; but they still "worked." ProVape fixed them. Perhaps QC slipped for a week, perhaps they got a bad batch of glue. It happens, ProVape took care of it.

for the other point, when you buy two things and one breaks, but the other doesn't, you don't tend to speak favorably of the one that broke. Case in point, I think that the Vamo is a decent "starter" mod, but I also think it should be considered as disposable as an eGo twist.

...Fourth: nope, Provaris won't become highly sought after collector's items, simply because too much of them have already been produced. Even worse, no limited editions whatsoever...
Good point. That must be why they are "Elite," everyone else has mods with serial numbers. :p
...Then the electronics. Maybe 10 bucks a chip to produce in volume...
Hand built chips, using parts that were chosen for reliability and durability.
...Heck it's actually faster and more intuitive to adjust a kick as well...
Have you ever had to dig a tight fitting Kick out of the bottom of a mech mod? Faster isn't the word that comes to mind.
I thought the reason people moved to mechs was because they thought the FDA was going to shut down vaping? I remember the hysteria.
A dna 30 fires down to .5 ohms. I'm building multiple dna devices as we speak. But a high power related device eliminates the need to sub ohm to get the power we need. Now 5 volts at 1.25 ohms gets us the 20 watts but we save .76amps of draw.

One with a stainless box and carbon fiber inlay. Also with wireless charging and a micro usb.

Material cost is still substantially less than a Provari.

Did they ever fix the lack of a down step in the DNA? I know that one of the problems with the DNA20 is that you could never vape at less voltage than what the battery had in it. So a fresh battery limited you to vaping at 4.2 volts or above. Not everyone wants to have vape coming out their ears, you know. :)

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
I'm confused. You think that a $179 Provari that is always available is a status symbol? Compared to DNA20 mods that cost $100-$300 more money and are only made in limited runs? Really? Dang, Provari is good:).

As for material cost being less, of course it is, you are building it yourself. That doesn't mean you can buy one for less than a Provari, because unlike your own time, no one else will sell you theirs free.

As for the sub-ohm, seriously, WHY do you need to do it at all? What kind of battery life are you getting at 20 ohms using a .88 coil? I made a 1.1 coil on a kayfun and it was such a harsh throat hit I couldn't stand it. Sub-ohm vaping from my perspective is a novelty. But I'm not that familiar with it, so explain why you like it?

Can we see a pix of your box?

When it's completed pics will go up absolutely. I'll probably make a video as well. I'm not sure anyone else has really done the inductive charging thing. I'm going to like setting it on my night stand at night and having a fully charged mod ready to go. No battery swapping, no plugging it in.

You may say it's a novelty, but it's how I like to vape. I get thick dense vape like the smoke I always enjoyed from pipes. In the right atty I can get vape very similar to a hookah as well.

Thin whispy vape is for the nic junkies. I vape for enjoyment just like I smoked. Well I still do enjoy a nice tobacco product. Just now for special occasions rather than nightly.

I said more than once, the Provari is fine. It's a quality device. It's just not my cup of tea.

I laugh at the "you don't own one" I've used it enough to know if I like it. Same as the dna. The Provari won't get me off a mech. The dna will I'll like getting those fresh battery hits every time.

I can list device after device that I prefer to the Provari. Even a vtr. At half the price I still prefer it.

I can respect that it's a good device for a low power vaper that is well made.

Why is it so hard for the Provari crowd to accept that a Provari isn't the end all device for everyone?

Kinggrond

Feb 17, 2013
Romania
The top cap, threading, atty 510 port, and bottom cap are all made from US steel. You cannot have adequate QC with minimum wage shop hands. 20 dollars for the steel parts and press fitting of the body is an absurdly low number.

Yeah, sure you can't, like iPhones or Intel processors are not made in China. QC has nothing to do with the minimum wage.

@ glassgal: look, a dna20 box which doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's 136 dollars locally and 200 for the rest of the world, hand assembled in very small batches:

dna1_zps51bb7fcc.jpg

dna2_zps7a04d88d.jpg

dna3_zps5767c122.jpg

Solid as a rock and a good price compared to similar devices.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I am not fond of that design... it's why I didn't get a Reo... I just don't like that super boxy look for some reason.. although I DO like boxes.

I just bought (and paid for, so I'm in shipping que):
Microstick from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pplier-forum/433469-mods-chels-mini-ecig.html

ms-26-500x500.jpg

and BilletBox #1643 : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/357383-billet-box.html

Group_Photo.jpg

and are on the list for a Pdib: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-supplier-forum/511889-pdibs-making-mods.html

IMAG4473-1_zps285e2650.jpg

There's just no DNA20 that looks as interesting as the above...

Rancor0681

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Belle Rive, Illinois, United States
:pop:

Just watching :D

Provari Threads, if nothing else, ALWAYS turn interesting.

Personally I do not believe anyone needs to justify their Vape Gear choices.
They just need to enjoy their Vape.:2cool:

From what I've seen most Provari owners don't seek to justify they seek the attention of owning a provari

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Did they ever fix the lack of a down step in the DNA? I know that one of the problems with the DNA20 is that you could never vape at less voltage than what the battery had in it. So a fresh battery limited you to vaping at 4.2 volts or above. Not everyone wants to have vape coming out their ears, you know.

There are certain limitations, but it will step-down.. Here's a pic when I had the Hana v2:

IMG_1954_zps41223342.jpg

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
I am not fond of that design... it's why I didn't get a Reo... I just don't like that super boxy look for some reason.. although I DO like boxes.

I just bought (and paid for, so I'm in shipping que):
Microstick from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pplier-forum/433469-mods-chels-mini-ecig.html

View attachment 296607

and BilletBox #1643 : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/357383-billet-box.html

Group_Photo.jpg

and are on the list for a Pdib: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-supplier-forum/511889-pdibs-making-mods.html

IMAG4473-1_zps285e2650.jpg

There's just no DNA20 that looks as interesting as the above...
Those are great looking mods. I've been thinking about the microstick a lot myself.
Well, I really don't see the point of 20 watts when I don't even do 15 watts. Actually, I rarely go over 8 watts no matter what I'm vaping, so I don't even see the need for 15 watts.

The above are all mech mods, so I'll play with sub ohms more when I get them:).
That's the difference isn't it? My fiance likes 4.5 watts on a 1.4 ohm micro coil in a mini protank.

If I grab it to vape I put it on 11.5 watts and it's good for me. The airflow limitation forces you to stay so low. In general for me the tighter the draw the lower the wattage I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread