Is the DNSchanger going to effect the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I think it is a Windows problem. I don't know what servers ECF uses (haven't bothered to check). It will mostly be an end user problem, in that you won't be able to get lookup. It's like you have a book, but they tore out the table of contents. You can be online, without being able to use it all. You can ensure that you will be able to get to ECF by bookmarking this link: http://72.52.242.206/forum/ I don't know if ECF has failover servers, but right now that IP works.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
This is all about malware that some users will have on their PC, that will take them offline on July 9th, when the FBI shut down their DNS assistance for infected machines.

Currently, those who are infected don't know it, as their botnet-controlled machines are federally-assisted to find the correct DNS (routes around the web). The FBI rolled up the botnet and installed their own public DNS servers to help the large numbers of infected machines that were being re-routed to the malware authors' sites.

When the feds finally shut those DNS servers on July 9th, some people's PCs will just take them into a blackhole, as their internet won't work. They'll know about it at that stage, and will finally have to disinfect their computers. An estimated 350,000 people will be affected.

It has been estimated that 20% of all PCs globally (that's 1 in 5) are botnet slaves. This means that, unknown to the owner, their PC goes to unauthorised websites without them knowing. This is done for all sorts of reasons, such as PPC click fraud, DDOS attack armies, and collection of personal data for CC fraud. The owner is completely unaware their PC is being used by a 3rd party.

It's hard to offer people advice about it, as they just don't take it, or think they know better. If their PC stops connecting to the web on July 9th then they'll have to fix it. That won't be possible for the majority of those affected, so they will need to take the computer to a professional. At that stage they will get the proper advice and with luck will take it.

My advice: go to Gizmo's Freeware and fix your problems by using proper security software, before July 9th :)

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
definitely an enduser problem!

''DNSChanger is a Windows and Mac Trojan that’s been around since 2007. What it did was to cause Windows PCs and Macs to use rogue Domain Name System (DNS) servers. First, it changed your computer’s DNS server settings to replace your ISP’s good DNS servers with rogue DNS servers''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread