Is it PG or is it the flavoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
When I first started vaping, I found that standard 70/30 mixes gave me issues - they irritated my throat and gave me headaches. However, I stuck with it, assuming it was just my body adjusting to the change, and it went away.

This past month I purchased some orange tic tac flavored juice, a 60/40 mix. It gave me a headache and made it hard to breath. I ditched it.

I also got some 70/30 mandarin orange juice, and loved it, so I've been switching between it and my 60/40 RY4 for when my RY4 starts losing taste (I find the orange flavor reawakens my taste buds so I can taste the RY4 again). But something odd I've noticed is every time I switch to the orange, I start getting a headache and it seems harder to vape/breath.

Now I'm trying to figure out if this is a PG sensitivity, or some weird sensitivity to orange flavoring. Just so you know, the two orange juices were completely different in flavor. The orange tic tac had an artificial orange taste while the mandarin has a much more natural orange flavor to it.

Any ideas?

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
Are you having any other side effects?

I would keep trying different mixes and flavors. If you haven't tried many PG/VG ratios and flavors, I would say it could be either, but you won't really know until you experiment, more than likely. That's how I figured out I was PG sensitive (I had shortness of breath, irritated throat, cough, headaches, rashes & acne-like breakouts, tightness in my chest, etc.). Once I started vaping all VG juice, all my issues cleared up, or were greatly improved, in a few days. But, if I vape something with PG in it, other than dripping to taste a new flavor, they all come back.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
I've been vaping more 70/30 mixes... none of them have had the same effect. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the flavoring...

I don't know why the mandarin gave me a headache and all that, but even though the flavor was natural tasting, I could tell it was artificial, and it did seem to be the main contributor...

I can say right off the bat the orange candy probably did it because of the menthol... even when I was smoking most menthol cigarettes gave me issues...

I don't respond well to artificial flavors/processed foods in real life... so is it possible that could carry over in to my juice as well? If so, does anyone know of some vendors that use nothing but natural flavoring in their juices so I can test them out and see if I fare better?

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
I'm returning to this thread happy to report that I have figured out what my problem was... and ALSO figured out one that I didn't even realize I had to begin with!

I was both PG sensitive AND sensitive to a lot of artificial flavors!

I'll spare you the details on all the juices I tried to figure this out. However, I figured out the PG thing when I started lowering the PG content of my fluid over at MBV after figuring out I had an issue w/ artificials. I DID have PG sensitivity issues when I started vaping, but I toughed it out until they died down... guess I just got used to being slightly miserable all the time though, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread