Is it okay to do this... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
This isn't quite DIY, but I think the members here could best help me with this....

I accidentally ordered a few bottles of 6 mg/mL juice when I wanted 12 mg/mL. The bottles are 15 mL each. The 6 mg isn't doing it for me and I want to make them a little bit stronger without affecting the taste too much. If I buy a bottle of 100 mg/mL strength nicotine, in theory I should be able to add a small amount and make it the desired strength, correct?

Using basic algebra I came up with a formula and figured I need to add 1 mL (1.023 to be exact) of the 100 strength nic to the smaller bottle in order to raise the nic level to 12.

I have gloves, syringes, experience measuring small amounts of liquid in a syringe. Any reason I shouldn't do this? or is there anything else I need to consider?

TIA

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Oh yeah. currently you have 6mg x 15ml which means you have 90mg of nic in your bottle. You need a total of 180mg in your bottle to reach 12ml. So you need an extra 90mg which is .9ml. But you also have to account for the extra .9ml which will yield around 16ml roughly, a total of 192mg of nic roughly. So yeah your 1.023 is probably about right. I haven't done any math on it.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I agree with Sedateme, get some 18mg of the same juices and mix em. No loss in flavor and the end result is what you want.

I do purchase 6mg juice, from ECBlends, in double extra flavor all the time. I then add in 1ml of 36mg flavorless juice to get to 11mg (my perfect nic level). Because the juices are double extra flavor, adding in 1ml of flavorless to 5ml of flavored gives me a perfect amount of taste:) If my juices were normal flavor, this would dilute too much and I would not be a happy camper

In regard to 100mg, I personally would NEVER handle anything this strong. It's just not worth the risk. Google handling that level and you will see that it is NO joke! Stick to 36mg or less with any juice unless you are a professional juice mixer:2cool:

I would look into buying 18mg versions of your 6mg juice and mix them together in equal porportions. You'd be at 12mg final mix with 0 dilution of flavor.

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Well if you get the 100mg nic I will just say be careful. Use as much protective wear as possible such as gloves, goggles, ect. Also use it in a well ventilated area. The fumes from that stuff will make you sick. I DIY and buy 100mg nic but I dilute it down to about 36mg to where I can handle it much safely.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
I'm gonna try it with one of the bottles at least. Thanks to all for checking my math and for the words of caution. I'll be careful with the nic and treat it like the poison it is. I handle dangerous fluids pretty frequently, so I'm aware of safety precautions to protect myself. I'll store it in a glass bottle and lock it up in the safe with the guns. Might be nice to have around in case ..... ever hits the fan ;)

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Well if you get the 100mg nic I will just say be careful. Use as much protective wear as possible such as gloves, goggles, ect. Also use it in a well ventilated area. The fumes from that stuff will make you sick. I DIY and buy 100mg nic but I dilute it down to about 36mg to where I can handle it much safely.

I'll either do it outside or under the range hood... I'm not going to get a lot of fumes from just opening the bottle, transferring it to a glass bottle, filling up a 1 mL syringe, then replacing the cap... right? I'll wear a mask for sure regardless.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Once I get the nic into the juice that I'm strengthening... is there anything I need to do in order to assure it's properly mixed in? any kind of wait time, mixing, heating, steeping, etc? or do I just need to cap the bottle and agitate it a bit? the juice is 50/50 and I'd probably buy the same base for the nic.

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I'll either do it outside or under the range hood... I'm not going to get a lot of fumes from just opening the bottle, transferring it to a glass bottle, filling up a 1 mL syringe, then replacing the cap... right? I'll wear a mask for sure regardless.

Not sure. I have never exposed myself to the fumes. I do it outside with goggles, gloves, and a respirator mask. Then once it is at 36mg I'm not so paranoid. My knowledge is just from research.

Also the 100mg bottles of nic I've seen comes in tinted glass bottles. I assumed nic of that strength normally comes that way but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't DIY and it's because of the danger with high nic components. Is it true that 1 drop of 100mg nic on the skin can take you out?

One day I will try my hand and mixing some juices. There should be some relatively safe ways to obtain the ingredients, mix them, and save a good but of money. Any suggestions on what levels of nic mix to buy to relatively safely mix down to 18mg and 24mg juices? I've heard people talk about 36mg base and then adding the PG and flavors and I've heard others talk about using 60mg base nic.

Is there any significant cost benefit to obtaining a slightly higher nic base in 100% PG and just adding flavors?

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I don't DIY and it's because of the danger with high nic components. Is it true that 1 drop of 100mg nic on the skin can take you out?

One day I will try my hand and mixing some juices. There should be some relatively safe ways to obtain the ingredients, mix them, and save a good but of money. Any suggestions on what levels of nic mix to buy to relatively safely mix down to 18mg and 24mg juices? I've heard people talk about 36mg base and then adding the PG and flavors and I've heard others talk about using 60mg base nic.

Is there any significant cost benefit to obtaining a slightly higher nic base in 100% PG and just adding flavors?

Most say to buy it in 48mg or 60mg because 100mg is deadly. From what I see there is a cost savings to get 100mg. For example I purchased a bottle of 100mg for $20. The vendor had another option of 48mg for the same amount but cost $17. This is a no brainer for me. But I caculated my cost and it is a significant savings from buying juice from vendors. I can lower it more if I buy supplies in high quantities. I bought a low amount at first to make sure it works out. The nicotine is the highest cost in my DIY.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use 100 mg/ml in my DIY. I used to work in a lab and I'm familiar with working with dangerous materials. I've not noticed fumes with 100 mg/ml. I have gotten it on my skin and washed off right away. I didn't drop dead, didn't feel any effect at all really, but I recommend avoiding it of course. If you are going to use it be cautious. Wear gloves, don't leave it uncapped because of potential fumes and the possibility of spilling. Work next to a sink so you can wash anything off of you if it gets on exposed skin. Measure precisely. Keep the bottle away from children and pets, as all nicotine juices should be, but especially 100 mg/ml.

I don't want to trivialize working with it, because it obviously is more dangerous than 50 or 36 mg/ml, but it can be done safely and carefully.

Oh, as far as mixing... It takes quite a bit to get it mixed up well. When I mix 100 ml batches of juice, I do it in a graduated cylinder with parafilm on top. What I usually do is invert gently about 30 times. Then I let it sit for a while. I invert it 30 more times, let it sit. Then usually another round of inverting. You can see the swirly mixing from the different viscosities of the liquids if its not completely mixed. Once I can't see those anymore, I mix one last time and call it good.

Last edited:

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Is it true that 1 drop of 100mg nic on the skin can take you out?

I really doubt it unless you let it ALL absorb into the skin. I was just reading here (before I posted this thread) that a lethal dose of nicotine is 0.88 mg per kg of body weight. So if you weigh 160 lbs (73 kg) that's 64 mg of nicotine. Can't find the post where it said that, but I think it was in one of the stickies in this subforum. Wiki says 30 - 60 mg for an adult non-smoker. In any case, if you get 1 drop on you of 100 mL... and let's say there are 15 drops per 1 mL since that's a pretty common measurement for a drop... that's 1/15(100mg)= 6.67 mg of nicotine, and even still it has to completely absorb into your skin for you to get that dose.

If someone were so careless as to spill 1 mL of 100 strength then lay their bare arm in it on the countertop while they're mixing stuff, then yeah... that might take him out. But with precautions like working over a basin, wearing a mask that covers your nose and mouth, goggles, gloves and long sleeves... I do think the risk is minimal for those who are careful. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've come up with after researching it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread