Is It Necessary To Inhale Into Lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
I enjoy the feel of a good long exhale. I remember from my days of smoking breaks, that the deep exhales from everyone (including myself) were typically followed by a smug self-satisfied smirk or grin.

So, I vape to my mouth, maybe with a priming puff that goes out my nose, enjoy the flavor, deep inhale and then that long exhale which is like a sigh of satisfaction. Works for me, but folks should do what they enjoy best.

Giant Squid

Aug 24, 2013
UK
I exclusively mouth inhale and I feel the full effects of the nicotine. I inhale fairly slowly with a rda to produce a thick vapor. I swirl the vapor around my mouth so it reaches a large surface area. I hold the vapor for a long time like with "stealth vaping", so minimal vapor is exhaled. I think a lot of nicotine is wasted if you exhale too soon. I only exhale a very small amount of vapor through my nose, which is more sensitive to burnt tastes so I can be sure I'm not overheating anything.

I also avoid drinking immediately after inhaling, to avoid washing nicotine into my stomach where it will be less effectively absorbed, and which will allow some to be destroyed by first-pass metabolism in the liver before it reaches the blood. Nevertheless, some is inevitably swallowed, but I think the lack of waste in exhaled vapor probably makes up for this.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
"or is it just wasting the juice and battery?" YES!

The whole point of starting to vape, for me, was health and after a while I saw that that included not lung inhaling. I actually get MORE nic not lung inhaling via ejuice than I got smoking. I discovered that my main satisfaction whether smoking or vaping is TH and I can get that without taking vapor all the way to my lungs.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Wikipedia :"There are few reports confirming what additives smokeless tobacco contains, and it is very likely that brands vary in the kinds and amounts of additives used. There is a rumor that fiberglass is added to smokeless tobacco to increase the efficiency of nicotine absorption.[13] Although small, glass-like particles can be seen, this is due to the formation of salt crystals.[14]"

So it has "glass like particles"

Congratulations, you got one thing half right

snicker (-:

It's all good Tre, you'll get there eventually.

Giant Squid

Aug 24, 2013
UK
I find it weird that there are vapors who don't want to inhale, due to potential extra risks or other agendas, yet at the same time seem to get up in arms when they read about a non-smoker not wanting to deal with the vapors.

Are you sure those are the same people? I wouldn't vape near somebody who hasn't clearly stated they're happy with it.

MMcQ

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dunno if its necessary to take a deep lung inhale. I certainly didn't do it while I was smoking because every time I tried I would cough like crazy. The drawing into mouth and then mixing it with air was how I smoked for 15 years. Its my habit and e-cigs fit into it like a glove. Someone else might have a different method that worked for them. Whatever method one uses the point is that its an individual thing. Whatever keeps you from smoking an actual cigarette is what one should use. Nicotine is just one aspect of smoking and there are plenty of people who use no-nic juice. I think we're all just trying to replace a very harmful habit with a less harmful one. (Wo)Man needs a vice of some sort I think. Otherwise we all tend to be a little too preachy to each other.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I find it weird that there are vapors who don't want to inhale, due to potential extra risks or other agendas, yet at the same time seem to get up in arms when they read about a non-smoker not wanting to deal with the vapors.

I didn't see that in this thread, but people don't inhale for any number of reasons. We have a lot of members with health issues, COPD, etc. and inhaling isn't necessary for them, they're still getting the nicotine they want. Some non-smokers that vape don't inhale. Some just don't.

If you chose to (I do!), inhale till the cows come home.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Seems like to me some people need pharmaceuticals added to their daily regiment in order to really enjoy vaping. After smoking for 40+ years and trying everything known to man to quit, no matter which way I absorb my nic...........it must be working or I would have returned to cigarettes or be in jail. I'm just sayin'.....

TreVader

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: keep comments civil-save the snark

TreVader

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: keep comments civil-save the snark

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
I didn't see that in this thread, but people don't inhale for any number of reasons. We have a lot of members with health issues, COPD, etc. and inhaling isn't necessary for them, they're still getting the nicotine they want. Some non-smokers that vape don't inhale. Some just don't.

If you chose to (I do!), inhale till the cows come home.

Wasn't talking about anyone specific. I've just seen on the forums vapors supporting people who don't want to inhale their own vapors, yet get combative over non-smokers not wanting to inhale other peoples vapors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
So because you're unable to actually find one single article with one quote saying e-juice is absorbed anywhere but the lungs you're going to paint me as foolish as if you know how i look?

Zoe, here's a clue... If anybody here is foolish it's you... you're trying to argue against everything everyone knows about e-cigs, because in the end what i'm telling you is that you are smoking your e-cig wrong.

I suggest you pick up your e-cig, inhale, and stop trying to argue against the fluid dynamics, physics, chemistry, and most importantly common sense.

Just because your avatar says "hate" does not mean you need to act with hate and disrespect. You're attitude towards people speaking from experience and through reading NIH articles shows you to be the "foolish" one.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Hey CJ, certainly hope none of the preceding scared ya off, LOL!
I swear, kids these day's... send em' to school and they burn their books and eat their teachers....

So, all day today I've been making it a point to only bring the vape into my mouth, exhale through the nose.
Like I said early on, thanks for getting me to rethink what I'm up to sir!

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Just because your avatar says "hate" does not mean you need to act with hate and disrespect. You're attitude towards people speaking from experience and through reading NIH articles shows you to be the "foolish" one.

Don't worry about the doubters, hon. Science rules and we know it!!

;)

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
For me, it IS necessary to inhale. Why? Simply because I've never been able to smoke anything without inhaling. It's just not satisfying to me to not inhale. Tried to quit smoking analogs once by smoking cigars. Not only was it not satisfying, it completely deadened my taste buds. Plus, it's still dangerous to smoke cigars on a routine/daily basis. I'm sure the occasional cigar isn't going to kill anyone however.

Not inhaling seems very unnatural to me. But that's just my bad. Why would I care what anyone else does. If ya don't want to inhale, don't inhale. Who cares? If I feel the need for a little nic kick, I just vape some higher strength juice. Don't need no stinkin' science to tell me that! Say's the guy that's worked in laboratories for over 40 years. lol. Do we really need to vape a certain way to maximize our nic intake though? What happened to just enjoying quitting smoking cigarettes and havin fun vapin?

So put that in your e-pipe and vape it! (just kiddin).

best regards, larry mac

p.s., that wasn't a dig at you Zoe, just couldn't resist!

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Hey CJ, certainly hope none of the preceding scared ya off, LOL!
I swear, kids these day's... send em' to school and they burn their books and eat their teachers....

So, all day today I've been making it a point to only bring the vape into my mouth, exhale through the nose.
Like I said early on, thanks for getting me to rethink what I'm up to sir!

No, I had to go to work and just got back. I can smoke (sorry, vape, not smoke, lol) while working so was experimenting and it seems to me the best way is to slowly draw a thick cloud into the mouth, let it linger there for a while, then do a little inhaling so that it just slightly goes into the lungs but still comes out the nose rather thick. This seemed to me to be the most efficient way to get the nicotine kick. Inhaling deeply did NOTHING additional and was actually less efficient since the smoke (oops, vape, vape, vape!!) thinned out and came out thin. To me it seems pulling the vapor deep into the lungs doesn't have much benefit but didn't harm me either in any way. Also, doing the thick mouth draw increases the taste ten-fold, but just leaving it in the mouth without drawing it back at least a little into the lungs didn't deliver the same kick.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
No, I had to go to work and just got back. I can smoke (sorry, vape, not smoke, lol) while working so was experimenting and it seems to me the best way is to slowly draw a thick cloud into the mouth, let it linger there for a while, then do a little inhaling so that it just slightly goes into the lungs but still comes out the nose rather thick. ...
You described it to a T.
Another positive aspect of this thread you started CJ is that it brought to my attention the fact that there are more than a few folks that do not inhale into the lung. Again, I prolly knew that already but I wasn't aware of it.

Into the lungs or not, there is no "right" way. Rather it's all in what works for the individual.
Is it more efficacious one way or the other? I'm of a mind that that too is largely an individual determination.

Good vapes ya'll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread