is big tobacco intentionally making bad e-cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Big Pharma has significant reasons to protect Big tobacco, and the FDA has significant reasons to protect Big Pharma.

If we all adopted a diet of fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans and seeds / exercised regularly, etc .. which have been proven Health remedies, instead of demanding drugs that made you feel better and/or masked the symptoms you're dealing with because we're a Nation of people that for the most part are unwilling to do these things and expect immediate gratification, then a very large percentage of Pharma profit / and Pharma companies would drop off the map ..

The only logical reason that the FDA would protect Big Pharma is to keep the population at large as chronically ill as possible .. thus providing a ready source of large profits for the Pharmas .. but, if, in fact, we assume this is true, do those large profits being sucked in by Big Pharma not also fuel the R&D efforts on drugs that have saved countless lives over the years .. ?? IOW, maybe it is the tail wagging the dog, but does some good come out of it .. ??

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
Want to stick it to Big Tobacco? Easy!

Who is out there selling these crappy e-cigs? Gas station clerks. Yup, the guy or gal who is behind the counter at the gas station or in the cooler restocking the RC cola when you walk in and dont see a soul.

Sometimes a person doing that job smokes. The ones here I've asked about the e-cigs really dont know about vaping *at all*. Thats the person to show what we all take for granted here: that vaping, while possibly not 100% healthy, is a huge danger reduction strategy versus smoking tobacco.

They have lots of e-cigs for sale in gas stations where I live (currently in the South). We have NO vape store within 75 miles of my city.

Big Tobacco wants folks' money and does not care about their health..this is kinda obvious. They want people to remain in the dark on vaping so that they dont even consider that there are healthier alternatives to their usual tobacco.

Some folks here vape with 0 nic, I think thats really the future of this - folks vaping and not even using nicotine unless they really have a craving or desire to use that chemical.

Vaping is SO much tastier than cigarette smoke, its amazing. Yes there is a leaning curve. Yes you have to really get in there and sort things out or ask questions or be shown what to do (redoing a Kanger protank II mini head for example with Kanthal...im enjoying that lately).

If information is shared from the ground up, to folks who are out there and can suggest alternatives to e-cigs (yuck) when customers ask for them..it will hurt BTs profits.

It will allow more and more folks to have a choice as to what they do: smoke or vape, and I think 95% will choose vaping over smoking.

The amount of chemicals is something like 900 to 1 in favor of juice vs. whats in tobacco (over 4000, including Radon in the smoke and Polonium-210, which are radioactive...im not kidding in the slightest).

The more that the common consumer knows about vaping, is one more nail in the coffin of BT.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Did you read the post I linked to? And yes, it appears to be collusion.

Yes I read it. I also remember it from when it was happening which is more important.

Philip Morris shelved some of the things they were working on to expand their market beyond the traditional cigarettes. Why would a company abandon invest money (even if it was a small amount) in product development? Perhaps it is a matter of knowing if they didn't give in first, they would lose even bigger.

Of course a big plus for them was RJR was on the rise at the time and that compromise kept PM at the top but that doesn't change what they gave up to save some long term losses. Call it collusion if you want but it is an example of the biggest of big tobacco bowing.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is what I would consider to be the worst case scenario...
--No free-roaming nicotine
--No online sales
--No flavors

It seems to me that all concerned parties could get onboard with that...
--The FDA
--Big Tobacco
--Big Pharma
--Most of the ANTZ

That is, of course, assuming that electronic cigarette consumers are not considered concerned parties.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
This is what I would consider to be the worst case scenario...
--No free-roaming nicotine
--No online sales
--No flavors

It seems to me that all concerned parties could get onboard with that...
--The FDA
--Big Tobacco
--Big Pharma
--Most of the ANTZ

That is, of course, assuming that electronic cigarette consumers are not considered concerned parties.

I am not so sure big tobacco would go along with no online sales particularly of the hardware. Blu for example has many things for sale on it's website that simply cannot be purchased in stores.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I am not so sure big tobacco would go along with no online sales particularly of the hardware. Blu for example has many things for sale on it's website that simply cannot be purchased in stores.
Blu is the only one I hold out hope for, but they are the smallest of big tobacco.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Blu is the only one I hold out hope for, but they are the smallest of big tobacco.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Yes, they are going to spend $10's of millions developing and marketing bad products... :facepalm: They have been in business far longer than most on here have been alive, for a reason.

In the real world, cigalikes are what the vast majority of smokers who want to try vaping start with. Some stay with them, some move on. If they were junk, they would collect dust on the shelves of retailers. Cigalikes dominate the market, so that's what they have decided to start out with. They are cheap and easy to use. They will move on to more 'advanced' products as vaping becomes mainstream- as V2 has.

Would I be happy with a gas station cigalike? Probably not. Would the casual smoker? Probably enough to get started vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread