is 100 percent cotton considered to be organic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA

Not sure if I follow. 100% pure cotton is not saying it's organic.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    True 100% cotton does not mean it was organically grown. Look for organic cotton grown using organic nutrients otherwise you will need to boil it so that your not vaping insecticides or something they used when farming.

True. But if you don't boil regular cotton, you're still 99% better off than smoking; none of that is organic whatsoever (except American Spirit, maybe).

BigDaddyQ

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Anything "Organic" means that the grower adheres to the rules that the USDA has set forth for agriculture. Generally it controls what pesticides and fertilizers the grower can use. This is not to be confused with real cotton versus synthetic "cotton." Synthetics are made using polymers like polyester, nylon, and other polymers (plastic.) Real cotton is harvested from the cotton plant. I've seen in the drugstores around here both blends, which is a mix of real and synthetic, as well as straight synthetic as well as 100% cotton. Q-Tip brand cotton swabs are 100% cotton but not labeled as "organic" because let's face it, most of us don't eat cotton so it doesn't matter (though some claim to have allergic reaction to their skin from anything not "organic.") Whether organic or not, the only reason you would boil it is to help remove dirt, dust, machine oil or anything else that might get into it during the process or cleaning and packaging and sitting on the shelf in the store. All of which can cause hot spots on coils or, for those with a good taste palette, a funny taste. Cotton itself doesn't have a "taste" which is why a lot prefer it to use as a wick material. I don't use it because if you forget to keep it well juiced, it will burn producing the nastiest taste I've ever had in my life and causing me to have to clean everything and rebuild. I prefer twisted or braided silica due to it's higher burn point. As for synthetic cotton or blended cotton, well, you know what happens to anything plastic when it gets hot. It melts. So never use it for wick material. I hope this answers your question.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    You want to use either organic 100% cotton yarn or sterile USP cotton balls. Reason being non 100% cotton will contain some synthetic fibers= not good to vape.
    As for non organic cotton it may contain pesticides and/ or bleach= not good to vape.
    Realize some organic yarns have been treated in peroxide- that's the reason I always boil them.

From another Forum:
    "Hi people,
    I see a lot of people talking about how Organic cotton is good to go straight from the bag, but I was curious why it was so white if it wasn't bleached. I contacted Macdonald and Taylor (who make the 'Simple Gentle Organic' line that John Lewis and Holland and Barrett sell) and they confirmed it is still treated with the nasties. *Always* boil your cotton! E-mail copied below.

Hi Dave
    We use a Hydrogen peroxide bleach as prescribed by the Soil Association , the traditional method is using chlorine which we do not do.

Kind Regards
    James Gartside
    Managing Director
    Macdonald & Taylor Limited
    "

InTheShade

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    Vapoor eyes er makes a good point. 100% pure organic cotton - not bleached is the best to use in my opinion. It can be hard to find. It's actually a slightly off-white color and looks a little 'dirty' to some - which is why they bleach it.

I know I should probably boil mine in distilled water - I'll get around to it before I finish this 80 count of large cotton balls :D

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    You guys DO know what hydrogen peroxide is, right? Meh. Besides, when exposed to air (or even over time) it degrades to pure water.

Not that you'd want to vape it. It's probably an irritant...if it survives in the cotton at all after treatment (doubt it).

Kind of agree and it all depends on the concentration used in the process. Store bought 3% no big deal but...
    "Corrosive. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide (>50%) is corrosive, and even domestic-strength solutions can cause irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes and skin.[41] Swallowing hydrogen peroxide solutions is particularly dangerous, as decomposition in the stomach releases large quantities of gas (10 times the volume of a 3% solution) leading to internal bleeding. Inhaling over 10% can cause severe pulmonary irritation."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread