hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome. Today I will be doing my best to provide you with a fair, honest, and hopefully informative review on the new Innokin Endura Apex Kit that was sent to me by Innokin. The Apex is a tube style mod starter kit that includes the Apex mod and the Endura Apex tank. The mod has an internal 20500 battery rated at 1800mAh/6.66Wh/3.7V and has a 5V/800mah charging rate. It does not have a display screen but instead uses two indicator lights located in different places on the mod. The Apex tank has a diameter of 22mm to match the diameter of the mod. It has a liquid capacity of 3ml and is made of stainless steel and glass. It is compatible with the T20S coils.

VPzRaie.jpg

Xf077Aj.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1ea Endura Apex battery

1ea Endura Apex tank

1ea .9 ohm Prism S coil (Preinstalled)

1ea .8 ohm Prism S coil

1ea Spare o ring set

1ea USB charging cable

1ea Quick guide

1ea Warning booklet

1671111550763.png

MOD SPECIFICATIONS:

nKYmJR1.jpg

APEX TANK SPECIFICATIONS:

XrN12vn.jpg

FEATURES:

New Mesh Coil

The new T20S mesh coil delivers enhanced flavor and more vapor compared to previous T20S coils. Experience the true potential of your e-liquids, with maximum nicotine satisfaction.

Easy Top-fill

Our simplified top filling system allows for easy, mess-free refills on the go.

Adjustable Power

Spin the bottom cap to select from two power levels, indicated by colored LEDs. Whether you want a cool and stealthy vape (red LED), or something more intense (green LED), the Endura Apex has you covered.

Precise Airflow Control

Our precise airflow system allows you to find the perfect MTL draw, from a tight airflow that closely mimics the experience of a cigarette, to a looser setting that produces more vapor.

Long Battery Life

Powered by a premium-grade 1800mAh built-in battery, the Endura Apex delivers all-day vaping on a single charge.

Satin Finish, 6 stunning colors

Our new satin finish gives the Endura Apex a premium feel in the hand, while highlighting all six of the bold colorways available.

USB-C Charging

USB-C allows for more convenient and reliable charging, with all of Innokin’s industry leading circuit protections.

vrxYEdo.jpg

LWSuV2H.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Endura Apex Kit is made of the same recyclable materials that we’ve become used to seeing from Innokin all the way down to the little paper pouches that the accessories come in. Instead of the usual two part box with an outer sleeve, the Apex comes in a box with a hinged lid that flips up. The front of the box has a color picture of the device contained inside as well as the device name and some features listed. The back side has a contents list, company information, authenticity code, and warnings. Both the front and back have a large warning on the lower end of the box. This seems to have become common place for samples that I have been receiving that are marketed for sale in the U.S. as far as I know.
    b36smml.jpg

Once the seal is broken and the lid is flipped up then the Apex is visible. The tank with coil pre-installed is located in a smaller box that you can see below the Apex. The other accessories are underneath. I feel like Innokin did this type of packaging to save space and materials always keeping in mind that they are trying to be as environmentally conscious as possible. On the inside of the top cover is a sketch of the Apex and a smaller picture showing how to fill the tank.

VFS3RBL.jpg

It has been a long time since I have used a tube style mod so the Apex made me feel a little nostalgic. I’ve been vaping since 2009 and I have gone from the original 510 cigalikes thru the tube mods and up to today’s full featured mods. It’s been quite the journey. It has been so long ago that it felt strange holding a tube mod.

The side of the Apex that has the fire button on it has the Endura Apex name on it while the opposite side of the tube mod has the Innokin name on it. I received the gray and purple versions for my review along with a spare box of .9 ohm coils. The fire button has a lighted ring around the square button that indicates the battery level. The color indications for the battery level are as follows.

• Battery >30% = Green
    • Battery 10-30% = Yellow
    • Battery <10% = Red
    When charging, the indicator will be Red if the battery is less than 90% and it will turn Green when it is charged more than 90% but not fully charged. When fully charged the indicator light will turn off.

Besides the battery level indicator around the fire button, there is also a light indicator ring around the bottom of the tube. This indicates the output power level. You can turn the black ring on the bottom to change between two output levels. They are as follows.

Lower output level indicated by Green indicator light = 3.6v/14.5 watts

Higher output level indicated by Red indicator light = 3.85v/16.5 watts

The Apex mod has an 1800mah battery with a charging rate of 800mah. I think this is a really good size battery capacity for a device like this and would think that most people could get at least a day’s use out of it with the higher resistance coils that come with it. I think it’s interesting that Innokin tells us that it is a 20500 battery inside the Apex. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a manufacturer tell what battery they are using for an internal battery device.

tE9dMDQ.jpg

Da1mmqH.jpg

The top of the Apex has the standard 510 connection with a gold plated spring loaded center pin. The ring around the 510 connection seems to be some sort of hard plastic. The USB-C charging port for the 1800mah battery is located on the bottom of the mod so can’t be stood up while charging. In general, tube mods seem to be easily knocked over so it doesn’t really seem like a big deal that it can’t be stood up while charging. The charging rate is 800mah which means it should take possibly up to a couple hours to fully charge the Apex. This charging rate seems a little low when most pod devices can charge at this rate or higher.

bLHhbpb.jpg

MJkXstQ.jpg

The tank included in the starter kit is the Endura Apex tank and it comes in six colors to match the colors of the Endura Apex mod. It has a diameter of 22mm and can hold 3ml of liquid. As always, disassemble and clean your tank before its first use.

Like the Zenith tanks, the Apex tank has two notches in the base of the tank that can be seen once the base is removed. There are two flats on the T20S coils that you have to align with the notches on the base when inserting a coil. Much like the Zenith coils, the T20S coils have the 510 connection built into them. However, they are quite a bit longer and it appears that the chimney is part of the coil in this design.

The top cap for the tank seems to be made of the same hard plastic that I mentioned earlier and uses a 510 drip tip. The top cap is knurled and is easy to unthread. It is threaded rather than the bayonet style we see on a lot of tanks these days. There is a large black gasket on the underneath side of the top cap that makes the seal to keep the tank from leaking. The fill hole in the top of the tank is a fairly large kidney shaped hole that should allow most bottles to be used to fill the tank.

When I first received the Apex kit, the airflow control ring built into the base of the tank was very hard to turn. I set up both samples I received and both were very hard to adjust the airflow. Once the tank was installed on the battery then it was nearly impossible to adjust the airflow without the entire tank turning. I ended up removing the tank from each, removed the airflow control ring, and put a drop or two of liquid on each of the o rings and re-installed the control ring. This made a world of difference and I could then adjust the airflow as needed. It made them useable without making the control ring too loose. There are four air inlet holes available to allow the user a very tight to loose MTL experience. I tried several different ways but could only capture three of the holes in my picture due to lighting and the shape of the airflow control ring.

llRQQoj.jpg

GNhNNTm.jpg

1671112265682.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

As I mentioned earlier, it had been a long time since I had used a tube style mod. It was a bit awkward at first but grew accustomed to it after a week or two of testing the Endura Apex kits. I like that the battery indicator is separate with the lighted ring around the fire button and that the power level indicator is a separate lighted ring around the base. The bottom turn knob is stiff enough that it won’t be moved accidentally taking the mod in and out of a pocket or purse. The 1800mah battery seemed to provide very long battery life with the included higher ohm coils. At least these days I consider anything above about a .6 ohm to be a higher ohm coil. It’s hard to believe that we used to use two and three ohm coils back in the day.

I think the Apex kits have a nice appearance and offers enough colors that most people can find one that they like. The matchy matchy of the tank and mod will surely appeal to some. I personally vape quite a bit when driving and kind of wish that the fire button either protruded a little more or had some sort of texturing as I found myself feeling for the fire button while driving because it’s never a good idea to take your eyes off the road.

I have to admit that initially I was disappointed with the flavor production from both the .8 and .9 ohm coils. I even mentioned it to the Innokin rep that I deal with. I tried three different recipes that I commonly use for reviews and wasn’t very happy with the flavor production with any of them. I tried Dinner Lady Purple Rain, RY4 Cream, and Dinner Lady Berry Blast. The samples were sent to me weeks prior to the review so I didn’t give up and kept using them. It was suggested to me by Innokin to close the airflow down to one hole and turn the power adjustment to the high position. This did seem to help and over a period of a week using the same coils the flavor did improve. I don’t know if I was just being impatient or it just takes a few tanks to break in the coils but honestly I was never impressed by the flavor production even after following their suggestions. If I had to rate the flavor production at the time of writing this review then I’d probably give it a 6.25 out of 10. This was a difficult one for me because I’ve used Innokin coils a long time and normally flavor production is pretty good. All of that being said, I think this would still be a great starter kit for someone looking to quit smoking. If I was going to use this kit long term then I would have to mix higher flavor percentages in my recipes to be happy with the flavor production. A smoker making the switch would probably just buy commercial liquids which usually have higher flavor concentrations than what I mix at normally.

I’d like to thank Innokin and Nicole for sending the Innokin Endura Apex Kits for this review. As usual it has been a pleasure. Thanks to you the readers. I hope you enjoyed my review. Below is a link to the Innokin website where you can find the Endura Apex and many other quality made products from Innokin.

Endura Apex - Vape Kit | INNOKIN®

1671112429908.png

Attachments

• 1671112354442.png
      1671112354442.png
      2.5 MB · Views: 15

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Very nice and honest review. Been years since I’ve used a tube mod. No big interest for me.
    Thanks Fran. I honestly had a little higher hopes for this one. It was kind of fun using a tube mod again but I felt the flavor was a bit weak while using the liquids I normally mix and use for reviews.

Reactions: FranC

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Honest review, lack of flavor is a turn off for me, considering flavor is my #1 priority. Haven't used a tube mod in a long time and doesn't appeal to me now. Thanks!
    Thanks. I like the mod ok but wish the flavor would have been better
    Nice Review Hitt :thumb:
    Thank you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread