Information Overload- REQ for help from a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to a friend here showing me his LavaTube I had no idea e-cigs / vaporizers had come so far. I smoke Djarums, so the choice of flavors etc means I may finally be able to make an upgrade from one use cancer sticks to vaping. :)

He recommended I look at the ProVari and went into a very technical list of reasons, and without the background many were lost on me, but he also reccomended this site. Now I am suffering a little bit of information overload on here and hope someone can help…

Like I said I smoke the Djarums as a regular smoke, and when back in the states a pipe or a mellow cigar. I like a nice mouth full of flavor, and a cigar does give me a ‘new smoker high.’ Regular cigs don’t do it for me in terms of taste or amount of volume. For me it has always been about the flavor and that relaxing “ahhhhhh.” Perhaps there are a few former cigar / pipe smokers out there saying “exactly”?

Hoping there is someone out there that is willing to give me a few hints on what is a good set-up. I have always been a ‘buy it once’ kind of person; and would rather get a good quality product first try. I see the ProVari has a very good reputation and unless convinced otherwise plan on going with that for the base; however I can see that the 4,000,000 variables that go into getting that perfect vape (tanks etc).

So any helpful hints? Also being in the Army overseas if there are any little parts and pieces that I may want to have on hand ‘just in case’ I would love to know sooner rather than later!

Also glad to hear any suggestions on flavors .. looking forward to some of the licorice and cinnamon options I see out there, also a total coffee-holic. (This site has already helped since I also saw the info that those flavors may damage a normal tank)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I have always been a ‘buy it once’ kind of person; and would rather get a good quality product first try.
You could buy a less expensive PV but the Provari is prolly the most reliable PV available.
As for juice delivery systems in regards to acidic juices you could either go with a Kanger ProTank- about $15 BUT you can change the heads (wick+ coil)

Next post I'll talk about cartomizer+ glass tank.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Next is the cartomizer (with a hole in it) in a glass tank
IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us!
Carto Tank.jpg
Cartomizer+Tank- a Carto with a hole punched in it. Carto is than placed in a glass, metal or plastic tank which is filled with juice- juice saturates Carto by way of hole in Carto. My Cartos with a tank last before tight draw occurs: light juices- 80-90 ml. dark juices- 50-60 ml.

You're welcome

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
If you do go the route of carto+ tank I highly recommend you purchase a "Slap Yo Mama". Protects the Tank O Rings when refilling the tank and, more importantly, makes the refilling of the tank an easy task. Without this tool the rubber tank rings eventually become damaged and leak. Also without this tool refilling the tank can be a messy affair.

Overall I would suggest the carto+ tank as some LOVE their ProTank while others have had to fiddle with them.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Realize also if you purchase the Provari there are MANY different configurations of the Tube itself to consider. There's the Mini Provari, the 18490/18500 battery setup and the 18650 configuration. 18650 will give the longest amount of vape time before recharge is required. Realize 100 mah= 1 hour normal vaping before recharge is needed BUT if vaping at a higher voltage this number will go down.

http://www.provape.com/provari-variable-voltage-ecig-s/36.htm#

What I really like about the company that manufactures the Provari is they will upgrade older models if a new version is released.

WoW. Thanks V :) and hiya and thanks El_tecolote!

I am so smacking my head about forgetting Y-Tube. Not used to using it as a legit reference source.

Next question(s): As I plan, what are some of the things I will want to get now; realizing that it takes 1-1.5 weeks for the mail to get to us over here. Nifty little 'ooops I dropped a...' o rings? cartos? Those little things you may take for granted being able to run to the store for? (smack yo mamma on the list for sure!)

Already know I'll need to get a few different level resistance carto's to find my level of 'ahhhhhh'.

Anyone with similar smoking history / preferences have any flavor suggestions?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
WoW. Thanks V :) and hiya and thanks El_tecolote!

I am so smacking my head about forgetting Y-Tube. Not used to using it as a legit reference source.

Next question(s): As I plan, what are some of the things I will want to get now; realizing that it takes 1-1.5 weeks for the mail to get to us over here. Nifty little 'ooops I dropped a...' o rings? cartos? Those little things you may take for granted being able to run to the store for? (smack yo mamma on the list for sure!)

Already know I'll need to get a few different level resistance carto's to find my level of 'ahhhhhh'.

You're welcome. It's the least I can do for Servicemen/ women stationed overseas and glad to help :thumbs:
First you'll have to decide on the size of Provari you need. Realize battery info: 100 mah= 1 hour normal vaping before recharge.
Also take care in the type of charger you order making sure it matches up with the country you're in. If going for carto+ glass tank I'd say at least 2-3 tanks. Cartos minimally last 2 weeks.
Also make sure to buy a 510 atomizer to test new juices- much easier to clean if the juice is yucky.
Here's a reputable ECF listed/ verified Chine based Vendor you could buy stuff from in a pinch. I've ordered from them many times and have been very pleased. They're also having a sale beginning May 11:
Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail
Also find out what the Ecig laws are in the country you're stationed in....just to be safe IMO.

ProVari ordered =) Last min. change and I get to go on R&R next week!!!

I saw someone mention that there is a big vape store about an hour from my parents in puyallup WA so I am looking forward to visiting it and prob. getting a tad excessive with extras.

My parents have been 1 1/2+ pack a day for ever; and I hope I can get them to switch right along with me.

mdbsat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2013
San Antonio

I saw someone mention that there is a big vape store about an hour from my parents in puyallup WA so I am looking forward to visiting it and prob. getting a tad excessive with extras.

My parents have been 1 1/2+ pack a day for ever; and I hope I can get them to switch right along with me.

Congratulations and good luck!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

B&M are great cuz you can sample the juices before buying.
Congrats. I was a 1 1/2 PAD smoker for 44 yrs and quit at age 59. MANY seniors here at ECF that have had great success.
Best of Luck and enjoy your visit home :thumbs:

trailguard

May 7, 2013
Denver, CO
CS, welcome to the vaping community and ECF. I completely understand wanting to be prepared when it's all said and done over there, never know when something will break and where to get it from so you don't have to resort to analogs. I know everyone loves their Provari's, but I think the eVic might be a better option for you as you can charge from USB - who doesn't have a laptop to charge from over there? Or the wall charger it comes with is dual voltage, so that worked for me. Any you should really look at a Kanger Protank or two, and I would say 5+ replacement atomizers for the protanks. The only down to the protank is that it is pyrex. Make sure you get 2 of em up front - Murphy strikes often downrange, and get at least 30ml of liquid per juice you like. I was using ~4ml of liquid a day over there. Last, but not least - your ESS/Oakley case from RFI will work nice to hold your APV. Kept it on my non-firing side of my vest and it worked great.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA

Former cigar smoker here. Many places have a cuban juice that is pretty mellow. I've also seen a Black and Gold juice but I haven't tried it yet.

Also a +1 on the ProTanks. I'm currently using a eVic and loving it but I still eyeball everyone's Provari. And then my checking account says "No fatboy! Not yet!". :)

Army? What MOS?

Former M60 Gunner - USMC.
Semper Fi!

Trail- Thanks for the tip about the case =) I ordered two protanks at the same time ordered the PV, and the Smack Yo Mamma. The videos that Vapoor added sold me. Hope when I get to B&M they have some of the metal tanks, if not thats next on the mail order list.

I tried to skip the R&R to save up the leave days but the infamous 'they' insisted. Sounds like you remember 'they'. So once I get back here I will only be here about 2 months ish. Hopefully Mr. Murphy can behave that long but lord knows I will probably do the typical NCO thing and have a little bit extra of..well everything. The short time here (and the extra pay allowances) are why I figured I'd go all in. LOL and after dropping 300 in one pop there is a mighty incentive to stick with it and not cave.

Bost- 25P and a lot of numbers and letters after that. Signal Corps, backbone commo (my radios go on big trucks or buildings, not backs thank God). When I was young and energetic I had to carry a pig myself, fun to shoot but I hated life on the long fun walks! Now as the old fart I just trundle along with my M4 and tell my PLT gunners to suck it up =)

And thank you for YOUR service! My best friend from HS just retired from the USMC; and I have been privileged to be in several joint units and work with my brothers and sisters in all the branches. Heroes all.

How much time? lets put it this way.... I had to submit the change of raters for the NCO's I rate this morning ;) MUWAHAHAHA! :toast:

And hell yeah.. OMG I have so much crap.. after PCS TI to come here I still had the full RFI... and they gave me another bloody full kit when I got here!! I mean who needs 2 IOTV's? Like they realized it costs them money to have it in a warehouse so they issue it out so we can find a place to stash it.

Oh.. steeping. See lots of people talking about it, not may explaining (and the forum search turned up every conversation about it) Is it as simple as it sounds.. ppl soaking the carto in the fluid for a few days prior to use?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread