Infant

Oakly96

Feb 7, 2024
Hello! New to this forum so looking for answers! Have been scrolling some post on the same subject but can't really find my answer so I'll make a new post. Me and my girlfriend just got a child which is 6 weeks old (atm) and she is telling me I'm not allowed to vape because there can be dangerous things stuck to my clothes and face/hands. She's not really that into vaping and I'm just trying to find information that it's fine just as long I'm not vaping around the baby. (vaping without nicotine BTW) is there any "proof" or information that says it's fine to vape, as mentioned, just not around the baby? I'm grateful for any answers with information!

Reactions: Falconeer

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
In years of reading reports on the topic I never saw anything about stuff getting on clothes or hands. Opinions vary about vape pollution in the air. Anti-vaping campaigners claim that second hand vapor can be dangerous but they never provided any evidence. Tar from cigs sticks to clothes and walls and everything else around, but there's no tar in vapor.

Honestly, even if you could produce reams of scientific reports by Nobel prize winners saying second hand vapor and clothes are 100% safe it wouldn't make any difference to your situation. No quantity of facts will change her mind.

Proposing a compromise might work. Maybe offer to vape outside. Anything coming from your vape would blow away before it got on your clothes. Promise to take a few deep breaths before you come back in to clear it out of your lungs, and wash your hands after a vape. Stop using flavoring, if you do that. Just so she feels like she is getting something.

Good luck

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin (PG and VG), the two most common ingredients in vapes (besides nicotine) are commonly used in various baby products due to its properties as a humectant, solvent, and preservative. However, its presence and concentration may vary depending on the specific product and brand. Some baby products that may contain propylene glycol and vegetable glycol include baby wipes, lotions and creams, diaper creams, baby shampoos and washes, and teething gels.

Oh, and don't forget laundry detergent.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    What you are referring to is third hand vape, nicotine found on surfaces and clothing. Going outside will eliminate second hand vape in the air the baby breathes and vape on the surfaces in the house, but it will be present on your hands, your clothing and your hair. It is much less than cigarette smoke residual, but it's still there. Infants are susceptible to nicotine in regards to brain development, but whether the amount on your clothing is enough is still undetermined. You could cover your hair with a cap or a do-rag, have only one set of clothing which you change into for vaping (outside only), and of course wash your hands afterwards. This is a lot of trouble and may still not satisfy the new mommy. In that case, it sounds like you don't have a lot of options except to quit. Another issue is when the child gets older. Nicotine poisoning in young children has become more frequent because of e-cigarette use and carelessness of adults leaving nicotine in a child's reach. Don't rely solely on the child resistant caps. Keep your juice and ecig out of reach, starting now. That baby will be into things sooner than you realize.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    She's a new mother and being protective (good thing). You won't sway her. Good luck trying, though. I hope your couch is comfortable.
    Your girl is just looking out for you and the baby, you are lucky to have her. Figure out which is more important, vaping or your family. Since you are not addicted to nicotine should be an easy decision.
    I had many things to say about this, many things that can take away the worries, however.....I think these two answers are the only ones that are right. But maybe this helps

Most flavorings (not all) are food flavorings and are found in many of our foods.
    VG >> always use the full name with the emphasis on Vegetable!!! Vegetable glycerin is not only safe for use in baby products, but it also has wonderful benefits and advantages that keep a baby's skin and hair healthy. Still you need to be careful the kids can not reach it of course!
    PG Never use the word Propylene glycol, sounds scary and is generally considered to be a safe chemical but you should be careful with infants.

But then again, it also would not be good if a baby drinks babyoil

So maybe you can ask her, wat if you only vape VG with some food grade flavors?

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    It's a difficult situation.

I'm father of four children ( now grown up ) who when they were born and fully grown was still an avid pipe smoker, but who used to go outside to smoke.

Were this now and I were vaping - I'd go outside and hang my outside jacket in the shed before I came in and I'd wash my hands and face when I did get in.

The mother's instincts have cut in; the child's lungs are small and delicate so there is nothing you can do or say that will change that, no matter what facts you can marshall and present. I'd try the compromise already mentioned.

Believe it or not now, the child will be fully grown all too soon, so enjoy things while you have the chance and remember the old saying - "Happy wife, happy life."

By the way isn't PG used as a propellant in some sprays used by folk with asthma?

Last edited:

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    By the way isn't PG used as a propellant in some sprays used by folk with asthma?
    And for air zanitation
    Wich is a cool one>> With heavy concentrations of air-borne streptococci (more than 3,000 cells per cubic foot of air) most of the control mice died from streptococcal pneumonia and septicemia, while propylene glycol vapor protected them completely and ultraviolet irradiation failed to prevent death only in the cubicle containing the atomizer.

I was more talking about being careful kids dont drink it.

However i did find a article in the past of a PG mister/sanitizer that could be used in restaurant kitchens. So they sanitize the air while not being dangerous when it gets on food. But can't find it anymore.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    personally, i would not vape around an infant........... that's Common Sense

make your girlfriend unhappy at your own Peril............

as has been said previously, what's more important to you............ your GF and baby OR something as silly as vaping............

Choose Wisely Grasshopper

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    And for air zanitation
    Wich is a cool one>> With heavy concentrations of air-borne streptococci (more than 3,000 cells per cubic foot of air) most of the control mice died from streptococcal pneumonia and septicemia, while propylene glycol vapor protected them completely and ultraviolet irradiation failed to prevent death only in the cubicle containing the atomizer.

I was more talking about being careful kids dont drink it.

However i did find a article in the past of a PG mister/sanitizer that could be used in restaurant kitchens. So they sanitize the air while not being dangerous when it gets on food. But can't find it anymore.
    My wife, a a double qualified nurse, nurse teacher and retired Depute Matron (Scots Title and Spelling) thinks it is also used in operating theatres in the UK.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    personally, i would not vape around an infant........... that's Common Sense

make your girlfriend unhappy at your own Peril............

as has been said previously, what's more important to you............ your GF and baby OR something as silly as vaping............

Choose Wisely Grasshopper
    This discussion is not about vaping around an infant.
    His girlfriend wants him to stop vaping. period.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    .......has many opinions and thoughts.

Mine are as valid as any other person here.

but, thanks anyways........... :greengrin:
    I am sorry, I did not want to sound harsh, sometimes I just do my reactions too quick when I am also working. And you are absolutely right!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I was advised ( can’t remember who or when) not to vape in the same room as my cat and dog are in. Especially the cat because they lick their fur and vape particles like the crud on windows and walls build up on their food.

I do vape indoors now but I use a high powered air filter/purifier in the two rooms that I vape in making sure to exhale towards those units.

No hard evidence but I’m at least taking care of indoor air quality.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    I was advised ( can’t remember who or when) not to vape in the same room as my cat and dog are in. Especially the cat because they lick their fur and vape particles like the crud on windows and walls build up on their food.

I do vape indoors now but I use a high powered air filter/purifier in the two rooms that I vape in making sure to exhale towards those units.

No hard evidence but I’m at least taking care of indoor air quality.

There is some evidence. Not only because cat's lick themselves, but also because cats are more susceptible to PG. Dogs can handle it better. And that is also the reason dog food can still contain PG, The FDA prohibits the use of propylene glycol in cat foods. In dogs, 9 mL/kg(weight of dog) (4.1 mL/lb) can be fatal. That is a lot. That means that bigger dogs need to slobber up between a quarter to a third of a litre.

VG has been deemed save for dogs and cats.

Of course, Nicotine is a whole other discussion.

That being said. I live in country with cold winters. When it is cold, I do have a significant deposited of vape condensate on my windows. Especially when I switch to the big clouds (but that is 100% VG).The reason for this is that the windows are the coldest place, that also means most of the vape will condense there. But still it is possible some of the vapor will fall down on other stuff and pets. How much? I do not know. Filters and Purifiers can help. Maybe ventilating is enough.

Last edited:

JaxonWalsh

Moved On
    Mar 13, 2024
    • Deleted by Misty

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    she is telling me I'm not allowed to vape because there can be dangerous things stuck to my clothes and face/hands. She's not really that into vaping and I'm just trying to find information that it's fine just as long I'm not vaping around the baby. (vaping without nicotine BTW)
    To hopefully appease her...I'd vape outside where the moving air should prevent vapor residue from clinging to your clothes. But, you could also just take your shirt off and put on a clean one when entering the house after vaping. I'd also wash your hands and face then, too.

There's no worry/concern at all about nicotine in your eliquid...since you said the above (in bold) in your post.

It's likely all been worked out already though....since you started this thread February 6th, and had received numerous responses by February 10th. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread