I'm planning to get my first Mech mod. Recommendations and a final safety check please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
So what i'm currently looking at is the Mage Mech V2 Stacked edition. I know this is a hybrid mech so id like to know a guess at how much i need the insulated connector to protrude to properly make contact. Finally its my understanding that with mechs you build the coils to limit the batteries. So with 2 25A batteries. I'd need a Resistance of .15 to not push The batteries too far correct?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I get a great vape with a 0.6 ohm resistance on a mech. You don't need to go lower than that, especially since you're just beginning, to get a "decent vape".

Make sure your battery's amp rating is accurate. Many companies list the pulse discharge rating on the wrap. Use only the "continuous discharge rating". Mooch has a list of batteries he has bench tested for amp rating accuracy.
Complete list and links for all my battery and charger tests
Mooch's Recommended Batteries

Do you have an accurate way to measure coil resistance? Either a regulated mod or an ohm reader?

$_35.JPG

Something good to know is the difference between a "Hard" 510 pin and a "Floating" 510 pin on an atomizer.

With a hard 510 pin, the center pin in the atomizer can not move, it is fixed. So the amount that the 510 pin extends out beyond the 510 threads never changes. This is a good thing.

With a floating 510 pin, the 510 pin is being pushed out by the coil head or RBA section in the atomizer. So if the coil head or RBA section is not screwed down completely, or if there is any variance in the length of the coil head or RBA section, it can cause the 510 pin to not extend the full amount from 510 threads of the atomizer. This could be a very bad thing.

Last thing. Some atomizers have "adjustable" 510 pins. This is a very nice feature, but can also be a serious problem for someone using a Faux Hybrid connection if the 510 pin on the atomizer works itself back from screwing and unscrewing the atomizer On/Off. If someone is using an atomizer with an adjustable 510 pin, the length that it extends from the 510 threads should be checked EVERY time that the atomizer is screwed onto a Faux Hybrid connection.

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

full

Advise you to read the following:

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Good luck and always vape safe.

Last edited:

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
Do you have an accurate way to measure coil resistance? Either a regulated mod or an ohm reader?

$_35.JPG

Something good to know is the difference between a "Hard" 510 pin and a "Floating" 510 pin on an atomizer.

With a hard 510 pin, the center pin in the atomizer can not move, it is fixed. So the amount that the 510 pin extends out beyond the 510 threads never changes. This is a good thing.

With a floating 510 pin, the 510 pin is being pushed out by the coil head or RBA section in the atomizer. So if the coil head or RBA section is not screwed down completely, or if there is any variance in the length of the coil head or RBA section, it can cause the 510 pin to not extend the full amount from 510 threads of the atomizer. This could be a very bad thing.
Thanks very much for the reply, I'm planning to get an Ohm reader before I buy the mech as my current regulated mod's seems to be a bit inaccurate.
It seems my RDA does have a sufficient pin, but it can be unscrewed meaning its technically a "Floating" pin meaning I need to ensure its properly torqued down when installing it. Correct?

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
Not to be fear mongering, but you should be aware that the only two recorded deaths from vaping were vapers using a hybrid mech mod which exploded.

First vape related death

I really wish you hadn't choosen a hybrid mech as your first mech. Please be safe.
Yea i'm thinking that at the very least it will be a while before i even get it. I'm still making sure i'm well versed in safety and making sure i'm doing every thing I can to be safe.

Any recommendations for a different mod? One that you would recommend as a solid first Mech?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yea i'm thinking that at the very least it will be a while before i even get it. I'm still making sure i'm well versed in safety and making sure i'm doing every thing I can to be safe.

Any recommendations for a different mod? One that you would recommend as a solid first Mech?
Sorry, I reread the link I posted and that was not a hybrid mech which exploded.

I don't have any recommendations. I stopped using mechs a couple of years ago. I get a much better vape with a regulated variable wattage mod, plus they have more protections than a mech can offer. Plus, with a variable wattage mod I can adjust my vape "on the fly"; can't do that with mech.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vicsch

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You REALLY need to understand what you are getting into and learn Ohms law. You aren't even close with the resistance you need. A .16ohm resistance will draw 52.5 amps. You need a .34ohm or higher resistance to be okay with real 25amp cdr batteries.
LEARN AND KNOW OHMS LAW BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF OR OTHERS!

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Yea I realized i did my math really wrong i accidentally thought the 20A CDR doubled with the series. It does not Im still a month or two off getting so i'm going to spend plenty of time making sure i know everything in and out.
Amperage doubles in parallel voltage doubles in series.
Example with .16 build on a series mechanical.
20190816_165255.jpg
IMO a stacked mech isn't a good device to learn on. Many that use them build around 1 ohm or even higher.

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
Amperage doubles in parallel voltage doubles in series.
Example with .16 build on a series mechanical.
View attachment 832585 IMO a stacked mech isn't a good device to learn on. Many that use them build around 1 ohm or even higher.
Yea i'm only getting the Mage Mech so, I don't need to buy a new mod if i want to try a Stacked mod im planning to run it primarily in single for a while. Probably going to buy or build some coils that will hopefully ohm out to around .35-.45 when I get it.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I have a Mage v2 stacker. I like it. I use Samsung 30T batteries in it. It can be a good mech mod for a first mech BUT I would recommend using it in single battery mode to start with. To the OP, what RDA are you using? You're going to need a 25mm with a good size deck. Series coils are twice as long.

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
I have a Mage v2 stacker. I like it. I use Samsung 30T batteries in it. It can be a good mech mod for a first mech BUT I would recommend using it in single battery mode to start with. To the OP, what RDA are you using? You're going to need a 25mm with a good size deck. Series coils are twice as long.
My current Rda Is the VV phobia its a 24MM and i've had no trouble getting it to ohm out to where I want it for when ill be running it for a single bat. Ill probably be upgrading to a 25mm RDA when i decide i absolutely need more vapor. Any Recommendations?

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
My current Rda Is the VV phobia its a 24MM and i've had no trouble getting it to ohm out to where I want it for when ill be running it for a single bat. Ill probably be upgrading to a 25mm RDA when i decide i absolutely need more vapor. Any Recommendations?
I use 3 different RDAs on mine. Carnage is my first choice. Apocalypse is my second choice and Goon 1.5 is the last one I use. If you watch the sales you can get an Apocalypse for a good price. I just recently picked up a copper Apocalypse on sale for $15.

Popular_

Aug 16, 2019
I use 3 different RDAs on mine. Carnage is my first choice. Apocalypse is my second choice and Goon 1.5 is the last one I use. If you watch the sales you can get an Apocalypse for a good price. I just recently picked up a copper Apocalypse on sale for $15.

Ill make sure to start keeping my eyes out thanks!

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Yea i'm only getting the Mage Mech so, I don't need to buy a new mod if i want to try a Stacked mod im planning to run it primarily in single for a while. Probably going to buy or build some coils that will hopefully ohm out to around .35-.45 when I get it.
Cool. Dodn't want to have you get a nasty surprise of 400+ Watts. I would stick with the single cell for a while until you get some experience under your belt. Series mechs especially are for the experienced.
I usually build at .22 to .25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread