Not open for further replies.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
tobacco artificially stimulates the endocrine system, including the thyroid which is the metabolic control system. An imbalance in the thyroid can cause exhaustion, brain fog, muscle aches, etc. I'd suggest getting your thyroid checked as well as the hormone panel mentioned above. Have your vitamin D and ferritin tested as well, as these can be low with thyroid problems and exacerbate symptoms. For thyroid tests, make sure you have Free T3 and Free T4 ran as well as a TSH. Don't let any doctor tell you that the TSH test is all you need. If you have questions or need more info feel free to PM me.

I understand the need to feel better and going back to tobacco. I quit cold turkey for 7 months and started smoking again, both from the need and from feeling like garbage because my thyroid was crashing. Rather than going back to cigarettes though, you might try using swedish snus. They have a decade of studies behind them proving that they are many times less hazardous than smoking. There's a subforum here for smokeless if you're interested in learning more.

Best wishes to you, whichever road you travel.

Edited to add that pamdis' post above is also a possibility and all things should be investigated. Good luck!
I developed thyroid issues when I quit smoking. Could have been completely unrelated to that- but you can always get your thyroid checked.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
A bit TMI but want to prove a point....the thyroid is no small matter.

Not saying the issue is thyroid related, but many people actually have thyroid issues without knowing it as it may only be a slight issue that diet can fix.
Thyroid is/can be caused by 1. hereditary 2. injury to neck area 3. stress (mine was all 3)

I developed thyroid issues when I quit smoking. Could have been completely unrelated to that- but you can always get your thyroid checked.

not to pry but what age range were you?

Most commonly people tend to develop thyroid problems when they hit their 30ies.

as a teen I was finally diagnosed hyperthyroidism/graves' disease...rare/never heard of in children, had had it all my life but symptoms were always over looked and disregarded as being a kid/teen until my throat swelled to the size of a softball then they couldn't deny what it was and an aha moment of my doctor playing connect the dots to all my life's symptoms coming together.
In my case I was above and beyond text book case (actually I was a case study and rewrote some of the "known" rules of hyperthyroid/graves' disease)

When 20 I had my thyroid radiated and became hypothyroidism. I will admit being hypo I smoked more as the nic and other chemicals in smokes aided a bit in keeping me leveled and less foggy headed...but that is no replacement for proper medication.

The thyroid is no laughing matter...it in one way, shape or form, controls everything in ones body....
with me it aggressively attacked my adrenal gland which attacked my heart causing me at the time under 20 years old to have had 5 heart attacks and 4 strokes...so let me be the first to say, if you are even the least bit thinking your thyroid is out of whack even slightly, get it tested, it never hurts...a simple blood test can save your life and if taken care of before out of control can save you a lot of further complications.

Now at 32 yrs old I'm the flip coin and am hypo, riddled with arthritis, memory issues and other problems due to years of untreated thyroid problems, and now over weight...I am much healthier now than when I was younger and thinner....but could have been a lot better off had I known and taken care of the problem...but as stated back then it was never heard of kids having thyroid issues and then well not having money for proper medication all of the time...my body aged faster than it should have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread