I'm abusing my kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
I think before the next family event you should have a planned response to her next lecture. IMO, part of the response should include the fact that not only do your children know to not touch things that are not theirs and they are polite enough to a) stay out of all personal business that is not theirs and b) would never attempt to cast another in a negative light particularly when they were using a known carcinogen and leaving said carcinogen within reach of every child in the room. Then I would add, can we now get back to having a lovely time? And of course, cast a condescending grin her way. :D

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Oh boy if I was your husband I would have lost it! Especially coming from a smoker. I was reading this and the whole story was unfolding in my mind and how in a sense you were bullied by a highly clueless naive person in front of your family to boot.

You're too kind, I would have used a little profanity and asked her to stop. If that didn't work ask her to leave. Yes there is some unknowns, but children could drink or eat many dangerous things within their home. I'm a mild mannered guy who doesn't mind a little confrontation once in a while lol. I've mellowed over the years, this would have made me snap though.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Well done, OP, keeping your cool under the circumstances. These sorts of ignorant self-righteous zealots always know how to push the anger buttons.

As for the real dangers of eliquid, I wouldn't rank them in the top 100 of dangerous things in your house. That is, unless we're talking about cats, who are very sensitive to PG; even then, ejuice isn't even close to top 10 most hazardous things one routinely keeps around the house.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Wow, how hypocritical of her. I'm sure many thought the same who witnessed this onslaught. Has anyone who did hear it have anything to say? I know I would not have anything to do with someone who accused me of abusing my child while performing a worse abuse. Makes me crazy just even trying to comprehend where this woman thought she had a foot to stand on.

My mother in law commented on the way home. She agreed that sister in law was out of line. She knows how I am about my ecig stuff. I maintained hers while she tried to quit. She's still smoking, but knows I'm not putting anyone in danger with this stuff. She does believe the media stories about eliquid being dangerous, but she also has some common sense and knows full well that most parents are well versed in keeping kids from ingesting things they shouldn't.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Sorry you got bushwacked by your inlaw.

There's a guy at work, a vaper, that insists that vaping is carcinogenic. I try to get him to stop with that. That if it is it is on the order of the carcinogens in nicotine patches, etc.; that there do need to be more studies; that there is the possibility of formaldehyde being present in some juices at high temps, but again at levels far below that of cigarettes, but he just will not knock it off.

Not all the stupid is on the other side. I freely admit that I am not in possession of all the currently known facts regarding vaping. But then: who is? Not enough is known at this point.

Here's a blog covering some of the recent "facts" trundled out to go after e-liquid and some of the recommendations that have been coming out of the EU from researchers who are taking the time to try and ascertain the actual dangers involved in handling or ingesting eliquid.

http://blog.rursus.de/2013/12/attempting-to-commit-suicide-with-e-liquids-witless/

BTW, The suicide in this country? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that it was pure nicotine, not eliquid, involved in that one. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

AquaJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Northeast, Pa
As a social worker my self, I am embarrassed to have people like that call themselves a social worker. But I guess you have bad apples in any profession.

I think she was just jealous that your not a smoker anymore and she still is. So she was just putting you down to rationalize her smoking to herself.

Also, social worker is broad title. Not every social worker works in child protective services. She is obviously one that does not. Otherwise she would know that keeping e liquid in your house is not child abuse. Yes it is dangerous if swallowed, but so is 100's of other household cleaners.

Sorry you had to deal with someone like that. Hopefully you won't have to see her again anytime soon!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
If I read correctly she is you husbands brother in laws sister. So Your husband has a sister who is married. The man she is married to has a sister.

She is your sister in laws sister in law BUT she is in no way yours.

You would be correct! I wasn't sure what to refer to her as.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
I could offer several ideas but I'm a Mod and have to act accordingly.

;)

HAHHAHA!!!! That is close to what I was going to say except for the mod part.. More like as a member I do not wish to get banned :)

KurptSenate, you make a really good point. If that women wanted to have a conversation she would not have started out by attacking Tinkie. For reasons none of us will ever know the woman just went off like some rabid dog. Making a fool of herself in the process. I do wonder how many adult beverages she had that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread