• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Illegal in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Hey Kat,

Yes I remeber now about the American exemption on nicotine, I forgot where I read that. Maybe you could post the reference here so our American friend can take it with them on their trip. That would solve their problem for sure.

Bit off topic, but, I still have to disagree about it being clearly legal for Canadians to bring nicotine liquids into Canada. If its legal to bring something in on your person, why would it not also be legal to have it shipped to you?

I'm waaayyy behind today - so I'll take the first part of the question now and post the legal reference here a bit later this evening.

Walking in a personal supply of anything will usually get you fair treatment regarding the law. You're there. If you know the law you can quote it, challenge it, etc. So personal use quantities of anything legal shouldn't cause difficulties when you're crossing a border - any border (not including libya at the moment though... lol). That said - I've also seen customs agents do very weird, illogical things at borders. I remember one time I brought in a pet from another country. One agent stopped me and wanted a bunch of papers I didn't have and knew I didn't need. I think he was about to impound my little furry friend when another stepped in. He showed something to his colleague who, it appears, realized he was in error, and let me and my pet through. If I hadn't been there though - whole different story.

Parcels are different. Challenging the way they are handled is more difficult, time consuming and costly. You're not there and anything can happen. Even the most innocuous items can be held for return by Customs. Brokers deal with that all the time. As vapers, we tend to hear about it more often because of what's going on right now with vaping supplies. BUT it can apply to anything from wrenches to dutch cheese.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
... well I went to the source I have on file for that. The US exception "was" on the Canadian Border Services website. It has been removed. The only thing on the site now is a brief reference to being able to bring in nicotine gum.

Assuming the law wasn't secretly changed (and I would personally find that doubtful as the absence of the statement hasn't been replaced with a revision) - it may be buried elsewhere.

I'm going to do some digging over the next couple days and see if I can't find it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread