Not open for further replies.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Hello Vapers,

I'm back with another product to cover; the iJoy Genie PD270 Box mod. I've had it for 3 weeks now and for the most part, I love it!

I must start with a disclaimer to say that the Kit was sent to me by Urvapin for review, but as always, my coverage is honest and from the heart. I am not a salesman or pitchman, and I have no affiliation with iJoy or any of their distributors or resellers. No device is perfect, and the Genie is not either, but it does have some points where it really shines (pun intended).

I must say, too, that I am not a reviewer who has extensive test gear to show the performance details and results that some people have, so I'm leaving those details to two reviewers that I trust implicitly, being DJLsb Vapes and Phil Busardo. My report is based on doing the same kinds of things that the average vaper has to work with. That is, how well a device works as compared to other well known and trusted devices with a near-excellent reputation.

I will not make a video because the Mod and its packaged Kit have already been covered in numerous first looks and somewhat detailed reviews, though not yet by one of the two men that I put the most faith in these days for full coverage, with details that can be trusted as accurate. Again, they are Daniel DJLsb Vapes and Phil Busardo. I anxiously await a review from Daniel because he is known to work directly with iJoy.

PURPOSE

The purpose of this review is to directly compare the Genie PD270 to the Captain PD270 (along with some other known and trusted Mods), to see if iJoy fixed some of the things that made the Captain so unreliable. It has been claimed that most of the problems with the Captain are hardware related, so when I learned that the Genie had been released, it was my hope that any and all hardware issues had been addressed before releasing the Genie. So I asked Urvapin to please send me a Genie to test, to see if I could prove it, one way or the other. Urvapin did not have the Kit in stock, as it was on Preorder, so they sent me a Genie PD270 with two iJoy 20700 batteries and an iJoy Captain Subohm Tank. The Kit includes an iJoy Captain S Subohm Tank, not an iJoy Captain Subohm Tank.

After receiving the package and using it exclusively with the included tank for two weeks, I felt certain that the hardware issues had been addressed and a quality Mod was in my hand. The only thing I noticed was that if the Temperatures in TC were off, they were higher than expected. The numbers in the chart below will show this, and it is my hope now that this can be fixed as well if iJoy will make Firmware Updates for the Genie itself, and stop using Firmware written for the Captain. I say this because the out-of-the-box Firmware was v1.5 (the same as the current Captain Firmware), but no Genie Firmware can be found on the iJoy Software download webpage.

$57.69 iJoy Genie PD270 234W NI/TI/SS Mod Full Retail at Urvapin
iJoy Genie PD270 234W NI/TI/SS Mod

$85.79 IJOY 234W Genie PD270 Kit with 4ml Captain S Subohm Tank at Urvapin
IJOY 234W Genie PD270 Kit with 4ml Captain S Subohm Tank

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
fOkZbyL.jpg

3jP7CLr.jpg

c5iKUR7.jpg

OcFc4lf.jpg

HgjD9XQ.jpg

0CZg048.jpg

5I5qHAl.gif

cshvG6b.jpg

vwz8jjv.jpg

eo2ejlx.jpg

0EsXPmC.jpg

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
So, can I recommend the Genie PD270 right now? If you want a Dual Series 20700 Mod for Wattage Mode Vaping; Yes. If you want TC Vaping; No, or at least not yet. It's up to iJoy now to get it working properly with its own Firmware.

My Initial Reaction (written when I first got it)

I put the batteries on to charge and immediately put in another charged pair that I had. I was very impressed with the form factor, shape, feel in the hand, and how light it is. I primed a CA8 Coil Head with my ADV juice, installed it and filled the Captain Subohm Tank, and set up the Genie for SS316L with the TCR setting of 0.00120 given by DJLsb Vapes for the Captain PD270, screwed on the Tank and locked in the Ohms, and set the Genie at 60W and 420°F. Took a vape and said Wow. Took another vape and said Wow! Had a third vape and said WOW!!!

From this limited experience, it appears to me that iJoy has fixed all of the hardware issues that the Captain has in the design of the Genie. Instead of getting a weak vape, it was more like Kanthal in Power Mode. After vaping it for a short while, I decided to set the TCR to the standard SS316L setting of 0.00092. Took another vape and said Wow again. Took the Genie out of TCR and set it to TC with SS selected, and it worked exactly the same as TCR 0.00092, so I was enjoying it with TC, the SS selection, 60W and 420°F. After a little while, I noticed that the vape was a bit intense, so I decided to play with the Degrees and Wattage for TC. I settled on 50W and 400°F. That's 12.5W per dual coil of the 4 coil chambers in the CA8 Coil Head. I'm getting a flavorful vape that is very close to another RBA build's single 26g coil in a Crown II with the Rafale VRBA at 40W Power Mode. I am finding this Fantastic!!!

If the Temp Control is off any, it gives a little hotter vape than the setting, but I don't have the electronics to show this stuff. All I can go by is the fact that I wanted to turn the Temp down from 420°F to 400°F with 10W less to get what I'm calling a very satisfying TC Vape with about the same clouds as 40W from the other tank's build. The performance is about the same with an older Youde Bellus (V1) with a dual coil 26g SS316L build, except that the 40W setup gives me better flavor. However, this seems typical of TC vaping, at least for me. With that said, the flavor gets better as the coils heat up from frequent use. Not chain vaping, but often. And this is true of the Crown II as well, so I may be off base here. I haven't used the Genie enough to know. But I can't get this kind of performance in TC with other Mods, so I am very happy with the Genie and Captain Subohm Tank.

To me, there's a lot to like about the Genie. The LED colors are cool and the Flashlight was a great thought. I saw a comment by one reviewer who said that he wished the Flashlight button was somewhere else, because he sometimes hit it while looking for the Vape button. I haven't had an issue with that, but maybe it's because he mentioned it.

The only Cons I've noticed so far are something that most reviewers would mention. I find no rattling with the Genie, but the battery door moves around a bit on the magnets when handling the device. It does it in all directions, up & down and left to right, and it's rather clicky when it gets to an edge and stops. The movement is less than 0.5mm, but it's there. The fit isn't perfect enough to prevent that. Some might say that it makes the device seem less "solid". It doesn't really bother me, but it's there. While changing the batteries today (for the first time), I noticed that it would have been great if there was a ribbon behind at least one of the batteries to help get them out, so that's something to get used to, but I was able to get them out without damaging the wrappers. And there's a certain way to install the batteries to prevent damaging the wrapper at the (+) post of the battery, but that's not a big problem when you do it right, and I'll be sure to mention this in the review. Finding the Vape button under dim light conditions is something to get used to because of the shape of the Mod, but this comes with time. However, some of this stuff is a Subjective Con, and none of these things should be considered as bad enough to prevent someone from loving the device otherwise.

These were are all mostly first impressions.

I installed a ribbon under one battery by removing the 4 screws that secure the battery tray. I cut a piece of black ribbon, sealed the threads with a lighter on one end and made a stop on the other end by burning it and clamping it into a Stopper. I pleased the Stopper end inside the battery tray and screwed it back in placed with the ribbon toward the bottom. I place the (+) Up battery on top of the ribbon and bring it up and out, so the 2nd battery doesn't cover it. When I insert the 2nd battery, the ribbon is between the two, and this makes getting the batteries out much easier.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I recently bought an iJoy Captain RTA and have been using it exclusively on the Genie PD270 for about two weeks now. I have to say that this is a great RTA that I learned to build properly in a video review from Vaping wit Vic. I have a simple 0.24Ω dual coil build of SS316L. The Genie is set to 65W, 420°F, and a TCR of 0.00098 (the ideal TCR for SS316L). This is saying a lot for the Genie, that it works so well with these standard settings! :thumb:

Here's the video...

The iJoy Genie PD270 Box Mod and the iJoy Captain RTA... a great pair!!! :thumbs:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
PS...

I forgot to mention that the Genie's Temp Control is working very well with the build in the Captain RTA, IMHO. It has protected my build numerous times as the tank runs dry, preventing burned cotton and any foul taste. The vape just seems lacking, so I look to see that the tank is empty... exactly like what is expected of a TC Mod. :)
:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread