I think my Kick died...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
First the setup: Grand, Kick, 18490, 2.4 (measured) carto.

After noticing a sharp drop off in vapor with a fresh batt, I decided to to some in depth testing.

I tested the output voltage with Kick under load (button pressed) at 5w, 7.5w, and 10w.

Each time it was 3.47v +/- .05v under load, carto attached.

Battery was resting at 4.00v no load during testing.

I then removed the Kick and inserted a spacer (the spacer for my charger) and measured voltage under load, which came out to 3.93v. The vape was much much better and hotter too. With the same battery.

Ground is good for the Kick, no issues there.

I emailed Evolv about this. I bought it on 4/17, and honestly, Ive only ran 3 18490s through it since then....

Do you think they will help me out on this?

(sorry, couldnt find Evolv forum to post this...):blink:

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Customer service was very responsive to my malfunctioned Kick. I was asked to ship it back and a new one was returned within 2 weeks (they're swamped with building the things).

I spoke too soon, I JUST got an email from saying to go ahead and return it for a replacement, thats pretty amazing for a Sunday!

Pooladdict247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Thawville, IL

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
You might want to run a little sandpaper gently over the bottom and top contacts of the Kick then a small dab of Noalox on them. Once a week I do this and apply a slight film to where the ground of the Kick contacts my Grand and to the firing pin on the Grand. I don't think you can visually tell if the contact points are in good shape. THis might be the problem or it might not but it wouldnt hurt to give it a try before sending it back for replacement.

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
I mailed mine out two Fridays ago, and got it back last Friday. One week turnaround. Don't think I got the same one back, but haven't played with the new one yet... It came in the day after my VV Woodvil, so I haven't been too interested in testing/playing with it.

Mine went from working to not working, just emitting a clicking sound. Brandon told me this was indicative of a bad connection. I checked all of mine, noaloxed everything, and it still did the same thing.

Their customer service is great. They will take care of you.

hubseven

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
New York
Check your battery, too. I've noticed a black-ish spot develops on the positive end of the battery that causes a lousy connection. Rather than noalox, I've used a tiny dribble of VG on the battery to help.

Can these black spots cause lower performance of battery? Have some on my batts and have been noticing inconsistent hits lately. Thanks.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
this is what my kick started doing 2 weeks after it was sent in for repairs it started making a fast clicking then it stopped doing that and did nothing. I don't think they replaced the first I think they repaired it, I haven't sent it back yet I'm dropping it in the mail tomorrow but in my mind I have just given up on it and writing it off as it was a good idea but just doesn't work for me I shouldn't have to send something back twice in the same month.
I mailed mine out two Fridays ago, and got it back last Friday. One week turnaround. Don't think I got the same one back, but haven't played with the new one yet... It came in the day after my VV Woodvil, so I haven't been too interested in testing/playing with it.

Mine went from working to not working, just emitting a clicking sound. Brandon told me this was indicative of a bad connection. I checked all of mine, noaloxed everything, and it still did the same thing.

Their customer service is great. They will take care of you.

Last edited:

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
Indeed... I know I used mine a lot, but two months just isn't long enough for something like that to last. It'd be fine if it was marketed that way (buy 2, they're cheap!). But with availability problems, and the fact that they aren't THAT cheap, it's really kinda sad.

I'll be using the VV Woodvil most of the time now, and the Grand (without a Kick) is just fine as a backup... as long as I have 1.5 ohm atties.

It really stinks for people who bought things like the Silver Bullet/Kick kit though... Hope they came with standard end caps so they can use it without the Kick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread