Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I really don't understand battery charger stuff, and I forgot which chargers go with which kits. :( What is the critical information I need to look at?

I have both Ego Twists and an Ego Clone. And I forgot what chargers go with what, except maybe they can be interchangeable so I'm going to post the specs here so you guys can straighten me out.

All have the USB cable that plugs into the Wall Charger, and they "fit" screwing on the ego twist and ego clone batts but I don't want to plug in til I know what goes with what.

1) One wall charger says:
Jieshibao Power Adaptor
Model JSB-003-C
I/P AC 120V 50/60Hz 0.15A
O/P DC5V 0.5A

(the usb that fits into this is unmarked)

2) Other wall charger says:
AC/DC Adaptor
Model KY2112
Input 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.5A
Output 5.0V 2.0A

(usb that I "think" goes with this says Input DV 5V 500mA, Output DC4.2V, 420mA)

3) 3rd wall charger says:
Input 90-250VAC 50/60Hz 100mA
Output 5V 500mA

there is no usb so wondering if one of the above usbs can work with it.

Thanks, I'm so confused!

What is the information that is the important part here? :)

JordanL

Aug 27, 2012
Santa Monica, CA
Anything that has identical connection points and output numbers (V & A) is interchangeable. Most electronic devices will say what the output of their charging device is in the manual or you can always find that information online.

That said, the eGo chargers are all 4.2V outputs... the A outputs on the chargers will affect how fast they charge.

The eGo clones will probably work on both. Generally speaking you're safer stepping down in voltage from design than stepping up.

But you should, (probably), be fine with all of these chargers on both devices. Except perhaps the 5.0V 2.0A charger... that thing will charge a 1000mah battery in 30 minutes... not sure how well the batteries will take it.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Anyone? I really need help on this. I'm kinda brain damaged when I start to see numbers. :)

What you are referring to as chargers are actually wall adapters. USB voltage is 5 volt DC. The wall adapters only function is to transform 110 volt AC to 5 Volt DC. The eGo rapid charger converts the 5 volt DC to 4.2 volts at 420 mA to charge the Twist. Usually the wall adapter is 1500 mA, which is fine, however if you wish to vape on a pass-through (which the Twist is not) you should use 2000 mA (or more) to ensure there is enough power to vape and charge at the same time.

Any of the adapters you have listed can be used with your USB chargers. Your chargers can be used for the Twist or eGo clone.

The part the e-cig screws onto to charge is the actual charger. What you look for on it is that the output of the charger is not more than the mAh of the battery you are charging. This means that the small 510 stick batteries may be damaged if charged by the 420 mA charger. (If you have any of these batteries.)

What plugs into the wall is the voltage adapter. What goes on the eGo is the charger. One ampere (A) equals 1000 mA (mA). Wall adapters are rated in mA or A, batteries are rated by mAh.

Just to reaffirm, you can use the chargers you have with all of the wall adapters you have listed. The 2.0A wall adapter would probably work best because it would not be working near its maximum output.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
This only refers to the charger dongles, the part of our setup that actually screws onto the battery:

I would like to point out CLEARLY that a JoyeTech charger dongle, for JoyeTech eGo batteries is 4.2 V output. Those are the only ones you have that should be used with your JoyeTech batteries.

If you have a charger dongle where the output is unlabeled and you don't know what it is - don't use it. On any battery until you can figure out what you have and what battery it was designed to work with. There are some knockoffs that use a 5.0 V output charger dongle - for both mini and eGo size batteries - and putting that on a JoyeTech battery can damage it. Those products typically have disclaimers on reputable vendor sites telling you to not use the particular charger in question with any other battery for good reason.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I just give you credit for

1) Typing all that in.
2) Being smart enough to ask.

Also, you could look at the web sites for em and see if you can order parts (like chargers). They often have have specs or pics that may help match them. Put a label on em noting the device in the future.

I assume the above is correct and that the chargers (that screw onto the e-cig) are all compatible and any of the power adapters will work. Can't always be 100% sure though. And one was unmarked you said. So ??? I've even heard of some having reversed polarity.

I'd try to match em on the web if I could. Just to be overly safe. Also charge em in a safe place. :)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
YA'LL ARE THE GREATEST! Thanks for the classroom time. :)

USB voltage is 5 volt DC. The wall adapters only function is to transform 110 volt AC to 5 Volt DC.

Okay, makes sense why they all the wall adaptors say 5V.

The part the e-cig screws onto to charge is the actual charger. What you look for on it is that the output of the charger is not more than the mAh of the battery you are charging.

Okay, makes sense. I understand the part about 4.2 VOLTS.

But when the USB charger says output 0.4A or 420mA is where i get confused what they mean. that's the "at" part of the equation, so that is just about time?

For instance, one wall adaptor says Output 5.0V 2.0A and another says 500mA as output.

I don't know what that means.

I'm glad I'm learning this because I've been thru it before with telephone chargers,not knowing what I am doing!

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
But when the USB charger says output 0.4A or 420mA is where i get confused what they mean. that's the "at" part of the equation, so that is just about time?

For instance, one wall adaptor says Output 5.0V 2.0A and another says 500mA as output.

I don't know what that means.

mA = millamperes. Edited - sorry for confusion previously.
The important thing is to have a wall charger that won't be outpaced if you use your battery as a passthrough with it. So if your usb charger or usb charging cord needs at least 1.0A, don't use a wall charger less than 1.A output.

If the usb charger says 0.4A or 420mA then use it with a 0.5A or 500mA wall charger.

The lower the mA on the charger the longer the battery will take to charge. If you're just charging - you can use any of the wall adapters you listed in the OP. But the 420mA is going to mean longer charging than a 2.0A.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Uhm... mA is for milliamps. (no hours). mAH is milliamp hours. Just a minor FYI.
It's the # of electrons flowing by per second. Like volume of water in a pipe (more amps would be a bigger pipe). Voltage is like water pressure. The two work together. In fact multiply volts * amps and you get watts.

The amps are either what it draws (on input) or max allowed draw from what it outputs (on output). Having more amps available on output than the connected device needs is OK.

So you can use a wall-wart that has output of 5v 2 amps (2000 mA) output just fine. Or you can use a wall wart that has 5v and 500 mA output and it's still OK assuming the charger doesn't draw more than that. USB is a 5v standard and the charger will only draw from the wall-wart the # of amps it needs. Given the same charger on either wall-wart... it will charge the same.

The charger, OTOH, is specific to the e-cig so match em up. If you don't have the e-cig that goes with the charger...that's a caution right there. I think all chargers should be labeled so you know what's what. Alas, it isn't so. There are known compatibilities, but I generally can't keep track of em. I mach em up. And you should try to charge in a safe place.

There are 1000 mA in one amp. .5 amp is = 500 mA for example.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Uhm... mA is for milliamps. (no hours). mAH is milliamp hours. Just a minor FYI.
It's the # of electrons flowing by per second. Like volume of water in a pipe (more amps would be a bigger pipe). Voltage is like water pressure. The two work together. In fact multiply volts * amps and you get watts.

The amps are either what it draws (on input) or max allowed draw from what it outputs (on output). Having more amps available on output than the connected device needs is OK.

So you can use a wall-wart that has output of 5v 2 amps (2000 mA) output just fine. Or you can use a wall wart that has 5v and 500 mA output and it's still OK assuming the charger doesn't draw more than that. USB is a 5v standard and the charger will only draw from the wall-wart the # of amps it needs. Given the same charger on either wall-wart... it will charge the same.

The charger, OTOH, is specific to the e-cig so match em up. If you don't have the e-cig that goes with the charger...that's a caution right there. I think all chargers should be labeled so you know what's what. Alas, it isn't so. There are known compatibilities, but I generally can't keep track of em. I mach em up. And you should try to charge in a safe place.

There are 1000 mA in one amp. .5 amp is = 500 mA for example.

Got it. Yes, I'm going to label everything now. Won't take a chance.

If the usb charger says 0.4A or 420mA then use it with a 0.5A or 500mA wall charger.

The lower the mA on the charger the longer the battery will take to charge. If you're just charging - you can use any of the wall adapters you listed in the OP. But the 420mA is going to mean longer charging than a 2.0A.

Perfect edited response for what I need to know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread