I have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
I've been holding off on using a mechanical MOD for quite a while, and have been using various RDA and regulated mods to build. I recently bought does a noisy cricket, due to its cost and the way that it hits. I absolutely love it, but I have a question about series, I had a colonial and didn't use it very much because I couldn't even get a lot of heat from it or much flavor Cloud whatever, that would correlate with high-wattage regulated devices, my question is the noisy cricket being a series mechanical mod, Fires at a constant high voltage, which translates to a high wattage on a regulated. If I were to buy another mech, that is also series comma does it need to be horizontal as the noisy Cricket or can it be like a stacked tube mod like the omega. And my other question is if it's stacked batteries, is it the exact same as a series dual 18 650 box, or is it more unsafe than something like the cricket. I like the noisy Cricket because it fires at a high volt, and I can get quite as satisfying Vape from it as if I had a 200 watt mod firing at 120. I neither know how to get the same satisfying Vape from a single nor if I need something in a box like the noisy cricket, I would like the Omega but I don't know if that would be really unsafe or not. I am I'm used to building on RDAs, but I don't know as much about the way mechs fire, so I don't know how I could get a certain heat a certain hit, a certain amount of flavor on a Mech like I could have regulated I know how to keep them safe but not how to make them satisfy me. The cricket is easy satisfaction, series is where i am happy, i dont know how to achieve it on low watts or on a single 18650 at 3.7v, the cricket batteries are separated, but still series, is that the exact same as having the two make direct contact? Is it just as unsafe? Is the cricket no different than say a dimitri, or contacting dual 18650s? What ohm would provide decent heat, gauge of wire, on a single? Colonial mod was not enough to take away my sigelei. Reaching for my cricket constantly though, no love less switching between the two. I love the delrin button not burning my finger as well. I would buy another Cricket, but I want to increase my collection with different mods, just not shelf pieces, I need them to actually satisfy me in terms of a vape.

Apologies for the haphazard construction of the paragraph, I am trying to clean the kitchen while I talk through voice to text

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I generally discourage stacking batteries in mods unless it is a regulated mod specifically designed to use stacked batteries. Stacking batteries in a mech mod increases safety risks. You must decide whether you are willing to accept those increased safety risks.

Stacked or unstacked?

In some mods, you can fit two 18350's when the mod is configured for an 18650. This boosts the voltage output from 3.6V to 7.2V which means more vapor. Yay. BUT, you should NEVER do this. Unless you are familiar with matching batteries, you are only endangering yourself and others.

You may think, "Well, shucks, laptops have multiple batteries in them, why can't my e-cig?" Laptop batteries are specifically designed for stacking and are paired for use at the factory. When using un-matched batteries, they will discharge and provide current at different rates. This means one battery will continuously take more of the stress than the other.

You may not notice any trouble at the start, but as the batteries age with use the problem will become more severe. Push the batteries a bit further and now you've entered the realm of thermal runaway. Downside being that one battery entering thermal runaway will push the other battery into thermal runaway. Now you have two small, flaming explosives only inches from your face.

Should you decide to stack two batteries end to end (series), you must "marry" the batteries to each other as a set. This means that these two batteries should not be mixed with other batteries you may have, because stacking batteries can cause them to drain at unequal rates and one battery may end up being weaker than the other. Therefore, mark the two batteries as "A" and "B", and insert them in the mod in alternating order each time you use them. This will help prevent one battery from becoming weaker than the other.

Serial vs Parallel Dual Battery Mods
Some mods are designed to use two 18650 batteries simultaneously. Series (batteries stacked end to end) will double the voltage output, but the capacity (mah) and amps will stay the same as using only one battery alone. Parallel (side by side) batteries will double the amp and mah capacity while the voltage output remains the same as using single battery. Serial and Parallel Battery Configurations

Series.jpg

When a mod is hooked up in series, the voltage is added, while the amperage (current load) and mAh remains the same.

proxy.php

When you have a mod hooked up in parallel, the voltage is the same and the amps and mAh are added.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
I generally discourage stacking batteries in mods unless it is a regulated mod specifically designed to use stacked batteries. Stacking batteries in a mech mod increases safety risks. You must decide whether you are willing to accept those increased safety risks.

Stacked or unstacked?

In some mods, you can fit two 18350's when the mod is configured for an 18650. This boosts the voltage output from 3.6V to 7.2V which means more vapor. Yay. BUT, you should NEVER do this. Unless you are familiar with matching batteries, you are only endangering yourself and others.

You may think, "Well, shucks, laptops have multiple batteries in them, why can't my e-cig?" Laptop batteries are specifically designed for stacking and are paired for use at the factory. When using un-matched batteries, they will discharge and provide current at different rates. This means one battery will continuously take more of the stress than the other.

You may not notice any trouble at the start, but as the batteries age with use the problem will become more severe. Push the batteries a bit further and now you've entered the realm of thermal runaway. Downside being that one battery entering thermal runaway will push the other battery into thermal runaway. Now you have two small, flaming explosives only inches from your face.

Should you decide to stack two batteries end to end (series), you must "marry" the batteries to each other as a set. This means that these two batteries should not be mixed with other batteries you may have, because stacking batteries can cause them to drain at unequal rates and one battery may end up being weaker than the other. Therefore, mark the two batteries as "A" and "B", and insert them in the mod in alternating order each time you use them. This will help prevent one battery from becoming weaker than the other.

Serial vs Parallel Dual Battery Mods
Some mods are designed to use two 18650 batteries simultaneously. Series (batteries stacked end to end) will double the voltage output, but the capacity (mah) and amps will stay the same as using only one battery alone. Parallel (side by side) batteries will double the amp and mah capacity while the voltage output remains the same as using single battery. Serial and Parallel Battery Configurations

Series.jpg

When a mod is hooked up in series, the voltage is added, while the amperage (current load) and mAh remains the same.

proxy.php

When you have a mod hooked up in parallel, the voltage is the same and the amps and mAh are added.
proxy.php
Thank you for the reply, Yes I marry all of them, regulated or not. I have two mechs, a colonial and a Noisy Cricket. Currently have 7 HE4s and am checking every charge cycle whether or not my married cricket batteries have any wrapping defects before I place them back into the mod. I have plenty of regs to keep me satisfied as to my style of vaping, 80-120 cruising on a 22g parelell build around 0.15 to 0.18. When using the cricket I am doing the same build as a 24g and it comes to around 0.4, as the cricket files under series, 8.4v is satisfaction plenty on this build. My question is, this Cricket, is it just as unsafe as a stacked tube? The 18650s dont directly contact each other, but through the circut and copper, negative to button and positive to atty. Have had no problems as of yet, but if I were to buy a second series mech, would the cricket be the safer option or are they are just as inherently dangerous? The way the cricket works is different than stacking or the same? Regs are my go to, but I truly wan5 to learn the way of mechanical mods. Not for cloudsbro purposes, but an experiment to understand them (In a geeky way) and to find a satisfying way to get my flavor from them, albeit, that wasn't difficult on the cricket.

uploadfromtaptalk1457783807119.jpg

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Series mods like noisy cricket are fine, and not unsafe if knowing what you're doing and your gear(read up on it, or stop using such, simply...). You don't need a series mech to get a good warm vape however. The nice thing about series mechs, is the same as regulated high-powered mods, and that is that since you have more voltage available, then you can build using higher surface area, without loosing heat or have long ramp-up-time, for better flavor/vapor, but you can for sure also get a good vape with a single or dual-parallel mech, especially the later, as you can run much lower in a safe way. In general you need 4x more resistance from a series mech than a single or dual-parallel mech, for same output...

Keep experimenting and use steam-engine, and very important, read, read and then read some more, on the topic and safety aspects...

What you probably had issue with, is that remember a dual parallel build, although having great surface-area, works in reality as a quad-core-coil-build, meaning the wattage produced is split between 4 coils, so 100 watts is 4 x 25w. I haven't myself yet mastered dual-parallel builds on single or dual-parallel mechs, because they are not hot enough for my taste, but i'm sure it's my own mistake, and I just need fewer wraps and more experimentation, or higher gauge, and of course use steam-engine more :) Try a regular dual 22 or 24 gauge build, around a 2.5mm mandrel... Use IDs of 2'ish mm to 3.5'ish mm. The lower end is hotter and gives more vapor quicker, as not cooled with as much juice'n'wick, but the lower resistance used, the bigger ID is possibly needed for not getting dry-hits, as it possibly cannot draw juice fast enough into coil). Keep safety in mind and build below or at CDR.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Series mods like noisy cricket are fine, and not unsafe if knowing what you're doing and your gear(read up on it, or stop using such, simply...). You don't need a series mech to get a good warm vape however. The nice thing about series mechs, is the same as regulated high-powered mods, and that is that since you have more voltage available, then you can build using higher surface area, without loosing heat or have long ramp-up-time, for better flavor/vapor, but you can for sure also get a good vape with a single or dual-parallel mech, especially the later, as you can run much lower in a safe way. In general you need 4x more resistance from a series mech than a single or dual-parallel mech, for same output...

Keep experimenting and use steam-engine, and very important, read, read and then read some more, on the topic and safety aspects...

What you probably had issue with, is that remember a dual parallel build, although having great surface-area, works in reality as a quad-core-coil-build, meaning the wattage produced is split between 4 coils, so 100 watts is 4 x 25w. I haven't myself yet mastered dual-parallel builds on single or dual-parallel mechs, because they are not hot enough for my taste, but i'm sure it's my own mistake, and I just need fewer wraps and more experimentation, or higher gauge, and of course use steam-engine more :) Try a regular dual 22 or 24 gauge build, around a 2.5mm mandrel... Use IDs of 2'ish mm to 3.5'ish mm. The lower end is hotter and gives more vapor quicker, as not cooled with as much juice'n'wick, but the lower resistance used, the bigger ID is possibly needed for not getting dry-hits, as it possibly cannot draw juice fast enough into coil). Keep safety in mind and build below or at CDR.
Thank you for explaining that in the third sentence for me. That's what I've pondered most, however in regs I do use dual builds, recently however my two velocities have decided they don't want to clamp, as now I'm reduced to only able to do a single coil. So that parallel build i meantioned was a single parallel, or equal to a single strand dual coil. Either way, the surface area part may be my downfall for single 18650 mechs, when I build a single strand dual coil, I wrap both coils around 10 times. When I make a single parallel, I wrap it 5 times. Making both builds somewhat identical. Regs get the 22g treatment, my Cricket gets the 24g treatment. Your saying making less wraps will give better heat and flavor on a single? My only qualm is, I've always imagined a wrap that narrow, say 5 versus 10, would scorch the cotton. It wasn't until recently that someone on another thread convinced me to wrap 2mm instead of 3 on an Rta. I'd assumed again, scorch.

I would add, I didn't begin wrapping parallel until my velocities recently decided they wanted to be a single coil rda.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you for explaining that in the third sentence for me. That's what I've pondered most, however in regs I do use dual builds, recently however my two velocities have decided they don't want to clamp, as now I'm reduced to only able to do a single coil. So that parallel build i meantioned was a single parallel, or equal to a single strand dual coil. Either way, the surface area part may be my downfall for single 18650 mechs, when I build a single strand dual coil, I wrap both coils around 10 times. When I make a single parallel, I wrap it 5 times. Making both builds somewhat identical. Regs get the 22g treatment, my Cricket gets the 24g treatment. Your saying making less wraps will give better heat and flavor on a single? My only qualm is, I've always imagined a wrap that narrow, say 5 versus 10, would scorch the cotton. It wasn't until recently that someone on another thread convinced me to wrap 2mm instead of 3 on an Rta. I'd assumed again, scorch.

I would add, I didn't begin wrapping parallel until my velocities recently decided they wanted to be a single coil rda.

Live and LEARN
Explain Mark Twains' quote;
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know it's what we know for sure that just ain't so?

Answer:
A person who doesn't know something is cautious, a person who incorrectly believes they know something can make a big, confident mistake.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Live and LEARN
Explain Mark Twains' quote;
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know it's what we know for sure that just ain't so?

Answer:
A person who doesn't know something is cautious, a person who incorrectly believes they know something can make a big, confident mistake.
In other words, don't assume. Try and learn.

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
I personally like parallels for single mechs. The ramp up time is near non existent and you get good heat in my opinion. Also you could try dual fused claptons for more flavor. I like 26 g n80 cores with 36g or 36g n80 wrap. Do like 5 or 6 wraps and still good heat and flavor in my opinion. Obviously be aware of battery safety. Your my noisy cricket I really liked doing dual claptons with a 24g core and 36 or 34g wrap or even .4mm ribbon for the wrap. Like 8-10 wraps.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thank you for the reply, Yes I marry all of them, regulated or not. I have two mechs, a colonial and a Noisy Cricket. Currently have 7 HE4s and am checking every charge cycle whether or not my married cricket batteries have any wrapping defects before I place them back into the mod. I have plenty of regs to keep me satisfied as to my style of vaping, 80-120 cruising on a 22g parelell build around 0.15 to 0.18. When using the cricket I am doing the same build as a 24g and it comes to around 0.4, as the cricket files under series, 8.4v is satisfaction plenty on this build. My question is, this Cricket, is it just as unsafe as a stacked tube? The 18650s dont directly contact each other, but through the circut and copper, negative to button and positive to atty. Have had no problems as of yet, but if I were to buy a second series mech, would the cricket be the safer option or are they are just as inherently dangerous? The way the cricket works is different than stacking or the same? Regs are my go to, but I truly wan5 to learn the way of mechanical mods. Not for cloudsbro purposes, but an experiment to understand them (In a geeky way) and to find a satisfying way to get my flavor from them, albeit, that wasn't difficult on the cricket.

View attachment 538670

With .4 ohms on a series much you're exceeding the cdr of 20 amp batteries. As the voltage increases so does the current draw. You're drawing 21 amps per battery.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kprthevapr

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
That's with 0 voltage drop though.

Mind you, it is pushing it and I'm not one to recommend it.
The batteries are still pushing 4.2v, it's just that all the power isn't going to the atty. Otherwise it's be safe to push ridiculous amounts of current as the voltage the battery gives out drops radically.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Ben85 is right... The cell(s) doesn't push 4.2v(single/parallel), or 8.4v(dual-series), and the drawn amperage is determined by the full-circuit, meaning atty/mod/cell-internal-resistance...

This is theoretical btw... For safety the calculation always goes upon max cell-voltage...

As Ben stated, not recommended to go over CDR...

Btw, I not so long ago made a thread to get confirmed that the above was correct, because often disputed...

Amp draw calculation.

Last edited:

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Ben85 is right... The cell(s) doesn't push 4.2v(single/parallel), or 8.4v(dual-series), and the drawn amperage is determined by the full-circuit, meaning atty/mod/cell-internal-resistance...

This is theoretical btw... For safety the calculation always goes upon max cell-voltage...

As Ben stated, not recommended to go over CDR...

Btw, I not so long ago made a thread to get confirmed that the above was correct, because often disputed...

Amp draw calculation.
Cricket hasn't been hot, and I don't over do it like a reg. I end up having to pulse it anyway, it hits hard. So it's in frequent as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread