I am suing NYC over the Bloomberg vaping ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
I should be mad cuz I had other stuff to do, but wow, just listened to that and what a great show! So many good points of discussion regarding vaping in general. And that letter you read in the beginning...one of the best commentaries I've ever heard, a modern-day cry for freedom.

One point I noticed missing not only here but in most discussion about all these regs being rushed through. I truly think that at the end of the day, this is still all about the taxes. If they get the regs through, it's an instant verification for dollar for dollar taxes based on cigarette sales being "lost". The common thread of all of them is to define vaping and all it's associated wares as tobacco products, which will in turn justify taxing it all as they do cigarettes. This is how these idiots work...they ultimately write their own BS to sell to themselves and their constituents. They'll be able to say they HAVE to tax it...because the law says it's a tobacco product, and will act totally oblivious to the fact that they made the law that declared it. Frustrating how all this works.

Which is why I agree, we do need to plan for civil disobedience. To echo the points of that letter, we are being pushed too far. As smokers, we allowed the facts to push us into the corners of society, and accepted the fact that we were social lepers because of it. Now we have found our answer, and that's not good enough either. Well, it is, but it's unexpected and dammit they've got our tax monies allocated for the next 10 years already...we CAN'T go quitting on them cuz then they'll have to tax regular folks to make up for it, and in a very big way to boot.

So I'm all for those civil disobedience ideas. We can not let this be accepted, period. It essentially damns us for life, no longer are we lesser citizens for smoking, we are being permanently targeted for having ever smoked at all. And you guys were right, they can't keep enforcing these bans on a large scale. It's one thing when they're going up against a few disenchanted vapors, it'll be another if press articles start showing grandmothers and soccer moms being hauled out of the local mall for sucking steam.

BTW, if you want to make the vaping in town hall thing more interesting, use cigalikes and find a way to remove the cartridge guts but keep the LED going. A tube with a light that glows when you suck on it. I'd love to see what trumped up charge they could muster for that one lol.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
lol ok, had to follow this up. Took like two minute? Maybe less. Anyway, I had a brand new cigalike here, got it free in a bag of tobacco a while back. Using a corkscrew on a pocket knife, it came apart very easy. Pull the rubber plug on the "mouth" end, then a filter (I admit, that impressed me), then the guts. Surprisingly, very similar to a "PV" really. A wick soaked in liquid...but no liquid, the coil, the air-activated switch, the battery, then the LED. Cut the coil wires so it's now just a battery with the air-operated switch and LED, which I pushed back into the tube. Put the rubber plug back in place. YES! Sucked on it, and it glows like a charm! The perfect ecig spoof! No heating element, no fluid, nothing more than a fake cigarette with a light. Awesome.... :)

*edit*...on a side note, with some spare wick, I just noticed it would be tremendously easy for the most part to change the flavor in these things to something enjoyable :)

...and the thing I thought was a "filter" is a sort of sponge lightly soaked with liquid, though it's placement could serve as a filter of sorts as well.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
BTW, if you want to make the vaping in town hall thing more interesting, use cigalikes and find a way to remove the cartridge guts but keep the LED going. A tube with a light that glows when you suck on it. I'd love to see what trumped up charge they could muster for that one lol.

That's easily done. You just don't have any liquid in the cigalike. It would be kind of funny to see hundreds of people "lighting up" and putting them to their mouths. Unless they ban small flashlights, what are they going to do? Put it in your mouth as the light is lit, take a breath and hold. Since nothing would come out either whether you inhaled niquid or air, it would be a good demonstration of the insanity of the law. Talk about placebo effect.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
lol ok, had to follow this up. Took like two minute? Maybe less. Anyway, I had a brand new cigalike here, got it free in a bag of tobacco a while back. Using a corkscrew on a pocket knife, it came apart very easy. Pull the rubber plug on the "mouth" end, then a filter (I admit, that impressed me), then the guts. Surprisingly, very similar to a "PV" really. A wick soaked in liquid...but no liquid, the coil, the air-activated switch, the battery, then the LED. Cut the coil wires so it's now just a battery with the air-operated switch and LED, which I pushed back into the tube. Put the rubber plug back in place. YES! Sucked on it, and it glows like a charm! The perfect ecig spoof! No heating element, no fluid, nothing more than a fake cigarette with a light. Awesome.... :)

*edit*...on a side note, with some spare wick, I just noticed it would be tremendously easy for the most part to change the flavor in these things to something enjoyable :)

...and the thing I thought was a "filter" is a sort of sponge lightly soaked with liquid, though it's placement could serve as a filter of sorts as well.

Gosh, we were doing that (refilling) 5 years ago grasshopper. :toast:

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
That's easily done. You just don't have any liquid in the cigalike. It would be kind of funny to see hundreds of people "lighting up" and putting them to their mouths. Unless they ban small flashlights, what are they going to do? Put it in your mouth as the light is lit, take a breath and hold. Since nothing would come out either whether you inhaled niquid or air, it would be a good demonstration of the insanity of the law. Talk about placebo effect.

yeah seeing a lot of people doing this would be a riot. And it does demonstrate the insanity of the law and trying to enforce it. They'd have to confiscate and disassemble every one to search for juice and/or coils. I like ripping apart the premade one though, on a technicality in some places it would still be illegal for having a coil as some proposed codes prohibit using any device with a heating element. Tube, battery, switch, and an LED...would drive 'em nuts. I'd bet half of them would tell you they could smell it. I was super surprised at how little actual juice is in one of these things, can't be more than a few drops. The way these idiots and now the press are freakin' out, you'd think there was a gallon of poison crammed into each one.

*edit...and if you REALLY wanna mess with these idiots...go to youtube and search "How To Make Smoke From Nowhere", first vid should be a kid in a purple/white stripe shirt. I just tried this and it WORKS, I'd imagine with practice one could make a respectable looking "hit" lol.

Last edited:

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Haven't had news that made me so happy in a long time! I am so in awe of Audrey Silk, CLASH, and Russ W.! Kudos to CASAA for entering the fray. I contributed to the legal defense fund and hope others will be able to as well; every penny counts!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I am SO stoked about this!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

ETA: This should have a sticky, or a banner!

Where do I send money to help? We have many customers in NYC.

Please post the following:

names on bank account
routing number'
account number

And we will wire you 10 grand.

You can also call 704-237-4061.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah well...info moves slowly up here lol. Plus, I'm a transplant from Qtown, the height difference might've affected my brain. Then again, living there for 35 years coulda too.

No way! I live in the "suburbs" of Sumneytown, just down the street from Green Lane. How long have you been gone?

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Moved up to Slatington 7 years ago, just got too expensive and hectic living down there. Moved to Quakertown in '71 when I was a kid, that's still where I'm "from" as far as I'm concerned. Still spend plenty of time down that way though, inlaws still there, work puts me in Pennsburg, Hatfield, and Conshy each one day every week. And the occasional trip to the Q-Mart :)

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Russ, we are ALL counting on you and your GOOD work!!! I am in NJ fuming over what is going on with this legislation. We are keeping a close eye on this case. NJ may need a reality check next! Many Vape stores don't want to step up for some reason and fight. Looks like it is up to the consumers. I do hope some shops are ponying up some dough to help with the legal fund! Please keep all of us posted!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I listened to the broadcast and it's very interesting. One is the fact that during the city council meeting, the council assured all the people who came to testify against the ecig ban, that the law wasn't meant to include ecigs. Well that put on record the city council's agreement that ecigs have a seperate definition than cigarettes. She's got a ton of quotes from the council meeting. That's why they can't just add "and ecigs" to an existing law per NY constitution.

It pays off to testify against these bans.

Even if it's not scientific / technical, this could play a role in distinguishing that vaping is not smoking.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Could not get PayPal or credit card to work. Check for $10,000 in the mail to Clash, Inc. Good luck.

Randy
As consumers we have to make wise decisions on who we give our money to. I applaud this gesture, and will show my appreciation with my wallet. I suggest others do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread