Hypocrisy? US Congress Upset at Canadian Tobacco Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
Only read on if you want to see how easily I can miss-read something. :oops:

I almost couldn't believe what I was reading. They are really upset when it's the same thing they signed into law. :rolleyes:

Jared A. Favole said:
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--A move by the Canadian parliament to keep flavored cigarettes away from children is coming under fire from members of the U.S. Congress amid charges it essentially bans certain tobacco exports to Canada and violates trade laws.

A bill pending in Canada's House of Commons seeks to ban companies from selling tobacco products with cherry, milk and chocolate flavorings amid concerns the ingredients are added to lure children and teens to smoke.

U.S. Senators and Representatives as well as business lobbies say the bill would essentially ban the export of burley tobacco, grown in states such as Kentucky and Tennessee. Burley tobacco contains flavoring ingredients that mask tobacco's harsh taste. The tobacco industry says the flavoring in burley tobacco isn't detectable by smokers and is different from the candy-flavored cigarettes that carry names such as "Twista Lime" and "Chocolate Mocha."

Article - WSJ.com

Indonesia has every right to claim that the banning of clove cigarettes in the US Tobacco bill violates those same trade laws (World Trade Organization). Can they not sense their own hypocrisy?

This is at the end of the article:

Congress recently passed legislation that would allow the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate tobacco products in the country. The bill bans candy- and fruit-flavored cigarettes, but not burley tobacco.

If burley tobacco contains these flavorings, I would think those flavoring would have to be removed here also (if made into cigarettes) according to this:

‘(1) SPECIAL RULES-

‘(A) SPECIAL RULE FOR CIGARETTES- Beginning 3 months after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a cigarette or any of its component parts (including the tobacco, filter, or paper) shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee, that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to limit the Secretary’s authority to take action under this section or other sections of this Act applicable to menthol or any artificial or natural flavor, herb, or spice not specified in this subparagraph.

Where in there does it say that the cigarette has to actually taste like those ingredients. It says "as a constituent". I may be confused as to what constituent means but I'm pretty sure it means something along the lines as an individual part.

EDIT: If I would learn to read, I could see that that does say "characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke." I'm getting too old...

Last edited:

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I almost couldn't believe what I was reading. They are really upset when it's the same thing they signed into law. :rolleyes:

Article - WSJ.com

Indonesia has every right to claim that the banning of clove cigarettes in the US Tobacco bill violates those same trade laws. Can they not sense their own hypocrisy?
welcome to hypolitics 101

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
welcome to hypolitics 101
You know, even after I finally understood what I had read several times, it seems like they are only worried because of the money the US would loose. What about countries such as Indonesia that sold the US the clove flavored cigarettes?

I really need to stay out of politics. It confuses me more than I already am. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread