How to test Ohms on an atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ngspotts

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
Mission Viejo, CA
Ok I'm not sure if I'm doing this right on my multimeter. I set it to the omega looking type symbol and put the positive in the center of battery side of atty and the negative to the outside threading. I get no readings on all of my ohm settings except for the lowest setting. And my 510 atty reads 5.3, then on a 510 carto it reads 3.8? This doesn't sound right. Any input people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
You need to test your meter before you go any further. Is this an analog meter? If so, you need to zero out the ohm scale. This is done by holding the two probes together and usually turning a dial until you manually reset the needle until it gets to zero.

If it's a digital meter, and if you're not getting your finger INTO the circuit, check the batteries. Probes shorted you should get something close to zero (on the lowest possible scale -- your meter is NOT an auto-range).

this may help...

Multimeter Tutorial - Measuring Resistance

PGVG

Sep 16, 2010
Alta Loma, CA
Ok I'm not sure if I'm doing this right on my multimeter. I set it to the omega looking type symbol and put the positive in the center of battery side of atty and the negative to the outside threading. I get no readings on all of my ohm settings except for the lowest setting. And my 510 atty reads 5.3, then on a 510 carto it reads 3.8? This doesn't sound right. Any input people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohms measurement is a measure of resistance (how well (or not) electricity flows through something) not voltage or plus or minus. In ohms, there is NO plus or minus (no polarity {neither power nor ground}). It is simply a measure of how easily (or how difficult) power will flow from one probe to the other. The higher the needle reading, the lower the resistance. Which means power flows easier from one contact to the other. Conversely the lower the needle reading, the higher the resistance. Which means it will take more MaH to 'push' power from one contact to the other. AND REMEMBER that when you test, there is no power (voltage) flowing through your circuit (errant readings).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread