How to know when to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StartLifeEndLife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Chicago
I'm new to vaping and use blu and blue cartos. These are the newer cartomizers and when you open them they have the rubber O ring in them.

What I am wondering is how do you know when you should stop using one in order not to burn out the atomizer in the carto. I have had a few burn out now, but they were all producing some vapor when they died.

I am hoping to refill my cartos so i need to know how to figure out when they are almost empty but not quite so that the carto will remain usable.

Also, if anyone has a clear link to how to refill and or clean these cartos in particular that would be helpful.

I get the method of dripping on the sides to hit the fill material, but some people say 15 drops and some say five, so im a little confused there. And cleaning an electronic device by boiling it just seems plain scary to me. --so any tried and true methods would be helpful--thanks!

sharpi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Indiana
I haven't used Blu cartos but in general for cartos (std sized) they take around 20 drops to fill then you can top off with 5 or so drops when the flavor/vapor start to diminish. That doesn't mean when it is gone...just when u start to see less vapor or taste less flavor.

As far as cleaning them...some people do, but in reality a carto is a consumable product. So when they stop performing or get hard to draw just chuck them and get some new ones. If you feel that you must clean them, then u can boil them, or just a nice hot water rinse. PGA (pure grain alcohol) will remove residual flavor to a point so a soak in PGA would work. Then a thorough rinse in hot water again. They will take a LONG time to air dry so set them in a baking dish and put them in an oven at 175-200 for a few hours. If you let them air dry it will take days...and in that time you will grow bacteria/mold etc.

Ok so there is a how to do it...but honestly I suggest replacing them when they stop performing for you as they are consumables. When I first started vaping I wanted to clean my cartos too...seemed a waste to throw them away. But I found that after cleaning they really never worked well again and for 1.50/each it was better to toss them and start with fresh blank cartos.

Good luck!

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
The new cartos seem to work really well for refilling. I have gotten a week out of two of the newer ones -- they keep performing well.

What I did to get them to work well is, even before using them the first time, pop off the end piece with a push pin and use the same pin to remove the o-ring. I toss the o-ring. I top off the new cart w/ 5 - 8 drops of juice. Some have taken more. They come underfilled. I let the cartos sit battery side down (threads down) for a few mins to make sure the juice is soaked into the filler. Then I blow through the mouth end, into a paper towel, and make sure all the juice is off the battery end. The carts work great. I tend to keep carts in rotation. So when a battery dies I top off the cart (fill it with juice until there's a thin layer of liquid on the top, usually 10 drops if I've been chain vaping for a half hour) and switch to another.

I picked up some juice from Tasty Vapor (36 mg juice, all PG) and mix in my own VG in a small mixer /dropper bottle. I probably do a 30% - 40% VG mix. Gives nice vapor, very strong throat hit, good flavor, and the carts haven't been getting clogged.

All in all I like the Blu, except for the battery life. I only get 30 mins of heavy vaping. Not surprising given the small battery size. So I just purchased my first Ego kit :) I'll be keeping the Blu as a backup.

StartLifeEndLife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the tips! Have you found any flavors to mix well with the pre-existing blu flavors? Or does the new flavor eventually just take over?

And i agree, I like blu, small size, looks and feels alot like a cig..I expected the battery life, but didnt realize it was going to be an issue until my fiance decided she wanted to use it too. Two batterys going at the same time means two batts dying at the same time, which is just as frustrating as someone taking your last cig without asking lol.

I plan on something ego sized in the future, but im currently looking for a usb pass through for the blu to solve the issue short term...so far only volcano seems to have something that will work.

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the tips! Have you found any flavors to mix well with the pre-existing blu flavors? Or does the new flavor eventually just take over?

And i agree, I like blu, small size, looks and feels alot like a cig..I expected the battery life, but didnt realize it was going to be an issue until my fiance decided she wanted to use it too. Two batterys going at the same time means two batts dying at the same time, which is just as frustrating as someone taking your last cig without asking lol.

I plan on something ego sized in the future, but im currently looking for a usb pass through for the blu to solve the issue short term...so far only volcano seems to have something that will work.

I usually pick up the Cherry Crush and mix flavors into that. The Johnson's Creek base flavor (I'm not sure what it is -- a very earthy flavor, pretty good) mixes well with everything. I bought cherry, tobacco + coffee, and tobacco + peach from Tasty Vapor. They take over the Cherry flavor pretty quickly. I've also run Johnson's Creek Original and Summer Peach through it. The JC flavors are wonderful, but too pricey.

stahrman

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
ohio
I just picked up 3 of these suckers!!! These Pure pass-throughs work very well with Blu and Volcano carts! They also have the manual button on them!! At $4.99 a piece.....how can you go wrong??? LOL. (not sure how long they will stay at this price??) HAPPY VAPING!!!

plug-puff-usb-passthrough.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread