Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
if i could actually see the hole in my luer lock, i'd be able to count the number of angels dancing in it...

but there's probly some variation on that which would be peezy for me as well. thanks!

Now hold on there Dennis. I never said I treaded the cotton in the hole because if I could then I could just thread a coil. :lol: I can't see the tiny hole very easy either but being able to stuff cotton into it doesn't require seeing it....luckily. :laugh:

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I can get 2.5mm through a 1/16 drill bit coil with my technique but it's time consuming thus the reason I switched to cotton.

I need to get some different sized silica...mine's mostly 3mm. The 1mm pulled in fairly easy though so maybe it's not as hard as I'm making it out to be.

My taste buds can't tell the difference between silica and cotton (except very slightly) and I've always enjoyed being able to just dry burn my silica wicks. Hmmm....time to shop for some silica...I have enough cotton to last me...uh...forever!

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
100% sterile cotton is what you want. Cotton balls or rolled cotton from CVS is popular.

Most definitely this. I thried the standard cotton balls in an Igo-L a few months ago, and although that flavor went away mostly, it definitely tasted like a cotton ball. And it was not pleasant.

The sterile rolled cotton is usually in the first-aid section of the pharmacy, instead of in the beauty section. It's like $6 for a box that contains a cartoonishly large roll of sterile cotton that you will still have plenty to pass on to somebody even if you live to be 150 years old. It's a one time purchase, and as long as you keep it squonked / moist, you won't ever taste it. Even if you get a slightly dry hit, you can tell before it gets too funky that you need to get your squonk on.

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State
Thanks everyone :)

I'm having the wife pick me up some sterile 100% cotton tonight and I'll give it another go.

I also ordered a reomizer 2 and a new metallic red Grand to go with it....never hurts to have a backup. I got to thinking today, what if my silver grand got lost or stolen? I would be SOL!!!

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Thanks everyone :)

I'm having the wife pick me up some sterile 100% cotton tonight and I'll give it another go.

I also ordered a reomizer 2 and a new metallic red Grand to go with it....never hurts to have a backup. I got to thinking today, what if my silver grand got lost or stolen? I would be SOL!!!

That's the spirit, Jeff.
Always remember, if you need any hands-on help, I'm only a small mountain range and a medium pizza away.:)

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Now hold on there Dennis. I never said I treaded the cotton in the hole because if I could then I could just thread a coil. :lol: I can't see the tiny hole very easy either but being able to stuff cotton into it doesn't require seeing it....luckily. :laugh:

sheeeeesh... what was was i about to respond with would probably get deleted by the mods...

let's just say that i am now very jealous of you on more levels than one... :)

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
I need to get some different sized silica...mine's mostly 3mm. The 1mm pulled in fairly easy though so maybe it's not as hard as I'm making it out to be.

My taste buds can't tell the difference between silica and cotton (except very slightly) and I've always enjoyed being able to just dry burn my silica wicks. Hmmm....time to shop for some silica...I have enough cotton to last me...uh...forever!

I wrap my coils on a 1/16" drill bit and 3mm silica goes in pretty easy. I clip it at an angle with nail clippers and dip it in VG. Roll it to a point and it will go right in. I've done 3.5mm too but it's a bit more tricky.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I wrap my coils on a 1/16" drill bit and 3mm silica goes in pretty easy. I clip it at an angle with nail clippers and dip it in VG. Roll it to a point and it will go right in. I've done 3.5mm too but it's a bit more tricky.

Well, I'm just gonna hafta give that a try. Much appreciated, unloaded.:)

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa

That sounds worth a try. So, 1/16" is about 1.5mm, right?

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State
Well the wife picked up some sterile, 100% cotton balls from Rite Aid and they work pretty good. Taste is better than the silica to me, so I think I will switch over to the cotton (seems to hit harder too).

The one drawback is that I'm still using a RBA1, so there is no juice well at the bottom of the inside of the atty, so whenever I open the atty up to replace the cotton, juice runs all over. I have a RBA2 coming in the mail, so it looks like I'll retire the RBA1 for backup anyway. :)

Thanks for all the advice fellow reonaughties ;)

Eatenback2life

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
Sugar Grove, IL
I'm one of the very few that still uses Ekowool in my Reos. 1mm (ID) Ekowool w/ 1/16" (ID) micros. I do use cotton but in only my drippers that don't leave the house.

Would you be kind enough to share a picture of your coil? I'm not a fan of cotton but a heavy user of Ekwool in my Reos. I typically just double up 2mm eko & use 4 wraps of 28 g kanthal. Always wanted to try a micro but using Eko for that is a PITA.

Also, I love the RBA you have in your profile pic. Who manufactures that?

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State
Well I got the new Reo Grand and RBA2 in today. First thing I build up a new coil, feed in some of the sterile cotton and WHAMO! it hits like a brick and, after the first couple of hits, tastes pretty darn good. I feel a lot safer now that I have a backup too :)

Now to just get me hands on one of those carto-meters to help ease the build process!

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Well I got the new Reo Grand and RBA2 in today. First thing I build up a new coil, feed in some of the sterile cotton and WHAMO! it hits like a brick and, after the first couple of hits, tastes pretty darn good. I feel a lot safer now that I have a backup too :)

Now to just get me hands on one of those carto-meters to help ease the build process!
You don't have a multi-meter, Jeff?

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I still prefer silica DZ. Have ordered some ekowool, but 2.5 mm - probably won't fit through the micro? Maybe sock it over the 1/16"?

I'm not sure what 2.5mm Ekowool is. Are the half sizes the ones that have a silica core? I have only used 1mm, 2mm, & 3mm. 2mm is definitely too thick for a micro. Remember the Ekowool sizes for their hollow sleeves are the internal diameter.

Sleeving it over the 1/16" may work but I've never tried that type of coil wick setup. I've only sleeved over SS mesh in a genny. The leads of the coil will make it tricky. You would have to bend one lead parallel with the coil, sleeve, then bend the lead back. You might get a lot of fraying before you are successful. Sounds like too much trouble.

Would you be kind enough to share a picture of your coil? I'm not a fan of cotton but a heavy user of Ekwool in my Reos. I typically just double up 2mm eko & use 4 wraps of 28 g kanthal. Always wanted to try a micro but using Eko for that is a PITA.

Also, I love the RBA you have in your profile pic. Who manufactures that?

I do love cotton, just don't use them in any of my Reos. I used to just wrap around 1mm Ekowool using a piece of .039" music wire inserted into the Ekowool cause I always though it would be impossible to thread Ekowool through a true micro. Until I decided to finally try one day & couldn't believe that I was holding back for so long. I can thread 1mm Ekowool through a 1/16" ID coil pretty easily. I also make coils with a .055" ID, getting 1mm Ekowool through that is a bit trickier but not that hard to the point where I wouldn't bother with it. But the .055" ID is borderline choking the Ekowool.

The RBA currently in my profile pic is a blackened RM2.

These are all 1mm Ekowool & 1/16" ID micros
(Excuse the gunk, been vaping this for a while...)
Img_4810_zps4a77380d.jpg

Img_4426_zps6c1ae393.jpg

Img_4445_zps98d8d2db.jpg

Img_4493_zps5f85d992.jpg

Img_4354_zpsf3299da0.jpg

Last edited:

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Yes, a couple of them actually, but not a carto-meter. You know, the small black box device that you screw the atty to, to measure the ohms. It gives you a stable platform to help while rebuiling the atty :)

I made my own out of a block of wood. I set the height exactly where I wanted it. Drilled a hole in the center for the RM2 to set down in. I use a meter to measure the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread