How many FDA officials do you think like dunkin donuts coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiff

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
Arizona
Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, so I slapped it here as it relates to e-cigarettes.

One of the FDA's largest concerns with e-cigarettes is the propylene glycol in it being unsafe for consumption (even though it has a GRAS rating). Well, I work at a dunkin donuts while I'm going through college, and the other day I was filling flavor shot machines.. guess what I found out? ALL of the flavor shots are made with propylene glycol. ALL of them. french vanilla, caramel, hazelnut... ALL of them. It makes me wonder how many FDA officials are sitting at their meetings about how to ban e-cigarettes sipping on cups of coffee containing the very substance they are arguing as unsafe.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
One of the FDA's largest concerns with e-cigarettes is the propylene glycol in it being unsafe for consumption (even though it has a GRAS rating).

Actually, this is a persistent misunderstanding Jiff. It is important to note that the FDA was NOT referring to PG (propylene glycol) as a problem in eliquid. They were talking about a tiny amount of DEG (diethylene glycol) when they condemed that one SE cartridge as having a "toxic chemical" found in antifreeze. Here, in fact, is a quote from the infamous FDA press release of last year:

"In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines."
FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes

There has, unfortunately, been a LOT of confusion here about that - probably because we do know that a special non-toxic antifreeze IS made with propylene glycol, whereas the normal toxic kind is made with ethylene glycol (and I guess the FDA thinks some kinds have DEG too, although that's not commonly seen).

But, the FDA's scare tactics have always been about the DEG (and TSNAs and nicotine), and not the PG. Other uninformed or deliberately ignorant opponents of the ecig have complained about the PG in eliquid, but not the FDA.

The FDA could not get away with condemning the ecig use of PG actually, precisely because it is in such common and ubiquitous use, not only in flavoring and foodstuffs, as you have found, but also in literally dozens of FDA approved drug products of all types, in percentages ranging all the way from 1 or 2% all the way up to 99%.

I only post this because it is important, I believe, to understand what we are fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread