How long and how to properly dry burn coils what wattage to use? New to RBA (HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    I am having some weird issue. I am not sure how long to dry burn coils for and what wattage to use to dry burn on my RBA PRO Deck. The first coil build with 0.3ohm coil was very flavorful and sweet tasting (ejuice) but the second and the third coil build don't taste anything like the first "Magical" built I made.
    This is really first time owning an RBA deck. I am not sure if I am dry burning too long but the last 2 coil builds using the same exact coils and same exact cotton with same juice just taste nasty.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

TARTARA

ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2023
    I don't know what are you vaping on exactly... ! But probably you should do it on low wats and you have to stopped when it's almost "glowing red" But if it's a handmade simple single wire coil, i think it's better to make a new build... !? Im doing mostly SS316 with temperature control i prefer to make a new build after 8 - 10 or 12 - 15 MLS of juice ! Just my opinion and how i do it on my rebuildable atomizers !

Plus, sometimes we end up to getting used the juice that we are doing very often, so once in a while we should change the juice with something else so we can have our taste back... !

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    I don't know what are you vaping on exactly... ! But probably you should do it on low wats and you have to stopped when it's almost "glowing red" But if it's a handmade simple single wire coil, i think it's better to make a new build... !? Im doing mostly SS316 with temperature control i prefer to make a new build after 8 - 10 or 12 - 15 MLS of juice ! Just my opinion and how i do it on my rebuildable atomizers !

Plus, sometimes we end up to getting used the juice that we are doing very often, so once in a while we should change the juice with something else so we can have our taste back... !
    I am using pre-built coil with Mr.Freeze ejuice. Yeah I think I was overdoing it then I was letting mine get very hot for like 5-6 seconds on like 40watts which is the wattage I use to vape the 0.3ohm coils.
    I might have overdone it.
    Are these coil salvagable after this? is there a way to bring them back to life? I just ordered them but its a rookie mistake I am thinking of probably boiling them?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I am having some weird issue. I am not sure how long to dry burn coils for and what wattage to use to dry burn on my RBA PRO Deck. The first coil build with 0.3ohm coil was very flavorful and sweet tasting (Ejuice) but the second and the third coil build don't taste anything like the first "Magical" built I made.
    This is really first time owning an RBA deck. I am not sure if I am dry burning too long but the last 2 coil builds using the same exact coils and same exact cotton with same juice just taste nasty.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Hi Alphantor.

I dry burn my coils every time I change the wick. My process goes like so...

• remove old wick
    • run the coil under some water
    • dry burn at low wattages
    • repeat as needed until the coil is clean
    • gently brush the coil

When doing a dry burn you do not want your coil glowing bright orange or red. Only hit the fire button until your coil is a dull, or faint, looking orange color.

You do not want to be hitting your coil with the same wattages you vape at. 10w-16w is sufficient in getting to a faint orange.

Another member asked about this in another thread the other day. Much of what you will read is applicable to dry burning your coils. Just skip past all the TC information. Here is the thread:

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Yeah I think I was overdoing it then I was letting mine get very hot for like 5-6 seconds on like 40watts which is the wattage I use to vape the 0.3ohm coils.

That's way too much wattage for doing a dry burn. See my last post.

Are these coil salvagable after this? is there a way to bring them back to life? I just ordered them but its a rookie mistake I am thinking of probably boiling them?

No there is no way to salvage a coil if you dry burned it at high wattages. If the coil reached bright orange or red - - - trash it. There is no bringing them back to life. Boiling them won't help.

Write this off as a lesson learned.

Install a new coil. Do a dry burn on it before you wick it for the first time.

Good luck!

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    Hi Alphantor.

I dry burn my coils every time I change the wick. My process goes like so...

• remove old wick
    • run the coil under some water
    • dry burn at low wattages
    • repeat as needed until the coil is clean
    • gently brush the coil

When doing a dry burn you do not want your coil glowing bright orange or red. Only hit the fire button until your coil is a dull, or faint, looking orange color.

You don't want to be hitting you coil with the same wattages you vape at. 10w-16w is sufficient in getting to a faint orange.

Another member asked about this in another thread the other day. Much of what you will read is applicable to dry burning your coils. Just skip past all the TC information. Here is the thread:

Well super appreciate the heads up. I just burned 3 coils lmao I just checked and they all lost their silver original color and now are dark/blackish I was dry burning at 40Watts and letting it get ember red for like 6 seconds. I repeated this (Not knowing at all) 3 times with the coils.
    Lesson learned! gonna order some new coils now and start the process over.
    Appreciate the heads up!

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    That's way too much wattage for doing a dry burn. See my last post.

No there is no way to salvage a coil if you dry burned it at high wattages. If the coil reached bright orange or red - - - trash it. There is no bringing them back to life. Boiling them won't help.

Write this off as a lesson learned.

Install a new coil. Do a dry burn on it before you wick it for the first time.

Good luck!
    indeed! lesson learned! I ruined 3 coils by doing it the wrong way. They were silver now they are dark/blackhish color.

Lesson learned! ty

TARTARA

ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2023
    I don't really know if you can bring them back... !?

As a general guide, try to vape more friendly - cleaner juices and don't chain-vape with the one puff behind the other, you end up building a lot of pressure on your coils ! Plus, when you are "burning - glowing " the coils with a lot power you end up to destroying the characteristics of the metal ( fror example : "a simple iron is going to be like a steel if you over bo it... !" )

So in general i don't agree with the dry burning, but i think on your new coils it's way better to try and bo it with low watts (10-15W !?) and with short presse on the fire button so eventually you will reach the almost full glowing point, then you leave it for a couple of seconds and right at the time that is going to fade the glowing part, you dive your coil as it is upside down into a little glass of water (without pressing the fire button since the glowing stage) !

Just my personal opinions and how i do or will do some things... ! I hope to not confuse you... !? If you want anything else just let me know... !?

Reactions: Alphantor

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    Yeah it's way better to do it as smoothly as possible !

Have a good man !
    For sure! I am astonished at the difference. I am vaping Custard Vanilla By Mr.Freeze and Now I can taste the sweetness and the flavors. Its amazing!

Time to order more coils tho since i did burn 3 out of 5 lol

Thank you, you as well!

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    Yes whatever you like - prefer, but probably you can take and some wire-s so you can make your own coils and if there is any bad situation again you will be able to keep on vaping... !? Plus it's a nice thing to make your own... just saying... !?
    Just had the RBA for 12 days I def plan on getting to the next step and making my own coils but for now I am gonna stick with pre-built for a little while. I'll start watching Tutorials on how to build your own and read information on it.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I have read in this thread at least once:

"When doing a dry burn you do not want your coil glowing bright orange or red. Only hit the fire button until your coil is a dull, or faint, looking orange color."

Well, if you, just like me, are not especially good at coil-building, even after over 5 years of 'practice', a "dull, or faint, looking orange color" is just hardly enough to eliminate reliably all of your hot spots. And in my experience, a hot or cold spot can really mess with your temperature control, and certainly in the same way with the variable wattage. Of course it's not wise to let it glow red or even white hot for seconds at a time, but I usually need more than a "faint looking" orange color.

And I not only build my coils myself because it's so much cheaper, but also because I enjoy it...even though I kind of s*** at it...lol

Alphantor

• Dec 29, 2022
    I have read in this thread at least once:

"When doing a dry burn you do not want your coil glowing bright orange or red. Only hit the fire button until your coil is a dull, or faint, looking orange color."

Well, if you, just like me, are not especially good at coil-building, even after over 5 years of 'practice', a "dull, or faint, looking orange color" is just hardly enough to eliminate reliably all of your hot spots. And in my experience, a hot or cold spot can really mess with your temperature control, and certainly in the same way with the variable wattage. Of course it's not wise to let it glow red or even white hot for seconds at a time, but I usually need more than a "faint looking" orange color.

And I not only build my coils myself because it's so much cheaper, but also because I enjoy it...even though I kind of s*** at it...lol
    ty for that!
    Just wondering what are hot spots? Reason I was dry burning was because I noticed a weird flavor when I didn't do it the first 2 times but after I dry burned that flavor went away. Not sure what Hot spots are tho could you explain?

TARTARA

ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2023
    The hot spot happens when your coil isn't build evenly - correctly - has some imperfections, so the current meets the specific spot and the current finds more resistance in there and it can't pass freely like in the previous part of the coil (in other words you end up with a much shorter coil that really is) and your coil doesn't heat up evenly, you simply burnng the coil in a specific spot ! And that's why when you are building your coil you have to test it almost slightly right before the glowing part, so you can see that is heating up evenly... !

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Just wondering what are hot spots?

A hot spot happens when one, or more, areas of a coil heats up faster than the rest of the coil.

Hot spots look like this on a coil that is being dry burned.
    coilhotspots.jpg

You do not want that.

If you see one or more hot spots on your coil take your tweezers and very gently strum across the coil the coil. Gently!!! ---> you don't want to damage the coil!!! Pulse the coil to see if the hot spots are gone. If not then strum the coil again. Repeat as needed. That will work out any hot spots. Like so:
    Screen shot 2023-01-23 at 6.59.36 AM.png

When you dry burn a new or used coil - you want to see a smooth, or even, glow from the inside wraps to the outer wraps.

When you clean your coils, and dry burn, between wick changes, use a brush to remove any gunk from the coil. Do not use a metal brush as those will damage a coil. I use brushes like these.
    koil-3-resize.jpg

Those are excellent for cleaning both the outside and inside of a coil. Don't use those on a hot coil!!! Run some water over your coil to cool it down, then use the brush. After brushing pulse your coil so any remaining water evaporates (dull orange).

And again, when dry burning a coil, depending on the coil 10w - 20w is plenty. Any more than that is total overkill. Exotic coils will require a higher wattage versus simple round wire.

When doing a dry burn... pulse the coil 0.5 - 1 second at a time... until you see the coil getting to a dull orange color. At that point run the coil under some water and repeat the dry burn.

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread