How durable is the color finish on a Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I have the blue finish ProVari and after 3 months of continual use the finish is perfect. But... I also have the black mini with an extension cap and have noticed that the finish has worn to the bottom edge.
I would have to say that the extension cap appears to be the weak spot for wear but they are replaceable.

undefinedera

Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
California
I was thinking about getting a blue mini Provari, but I want to know how durable the finish is first. Does it chip or scratch easily? :confused: If so I'll just get the standard (silver) color.

I have owned a Black Provari Mini for a while now and have dropped it countless times. Color finish is still intact with no chips or scratches, but the bottom cap and top have scuffs. The inner components, button and LED screen are still working perfectly!!! Definitely worth buying...Pure Quality!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My Provari is Satin Stainless and has worn remarkably well for the number of times it has rolled out of the car onto concrete. I always wondered about the color finishes and whether they were paint, rubber dipped, or stain on steel. The latter would be more durable, I think. I"m sold on SS as a metal for mods. It's tough stuff.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I believe the colors are ceramic coatings... The take wear very well. The satin silver is not the same type of coating (hence the lower price tag, they coat the satin silver in house and outsource the coating on all the others), I think it's a powder coat, but it also is tough as nails. You can't go wrong with any of the available choices.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
The only provari finish, out of the three I have, that didn't hold up: chrome. The satin black and the plain have held up great, but the chrome only lasted about a month, it looked horrible. But, when I just recently ordered my mini, I noticed they have wraps for them now 8) So my old chrome one that looks horrible, is now carbon fiber.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My guess on the satin is that it is a finish produced by air blasting with fine powder to soften the finish. Mine has one scratch that you can see and a few others that require light reflected to discern. There are no finish chips anywhere and it has fallen on concrete multiple times.

My only peeve with the design is that it is top heavy. When I reach for it and it falls over on a wooden table top, it makes a loud THWACK that makes people jump! I added a thin black nitrile 0-ring at the top of the main tube just under the beveled part that holds the atomizer connection. Now, when it falls over, the first thing to hit is the o-ring and it just makes a muted thump. My wife hasn't jumped in surprise in days!

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
I personally like the aged, worn look .. kinda like some sort of well used Alien science fiction futuristic device .. or a lightsaber .. ;)

I've had my black one for a month now and it's showing lots of wear. I guess some of them don't hold up very well at all. I'm skinning mine anyways, so no matter. I've never dropped it or had it fall over... Yet, but it's wearing just from holding it and I don't have sand paper fingers!

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
i have a black provari mini and have used it everyday for over 3 months and it still looks brand new

Well, I don't know why mine is showing wear so fast, but it's not something I'm going to email them on... Or should I? Hmmm...

Sent from my phone with an identity crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread