How does the Stingray switch work?

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
This is not such a silly question.
I have acquired a Stingray and the switch has a lot of electrical resistance, despite a thorough cleaning.

I can't work out the current path through the switch.
Clearly the 2 magnets need to be pushed together, but what is the current path between the moving part (which holds the bottom magnet) and the battery tube?
There doesn't seem to be anything making a good contact.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The battery negative constantly touches the wide cup screw threaded into delrin piece that keeps the top magnet in place and the bottom part of the switch slides the bottom magnet into the top magnet by use of a rice pin design. The circuit is closed when those 2 magnets touch. And just like any other tube mech from that era, when the circuit is closed the current travels from cap to body since the cap is threaded into the body.

You can take the switch assembly apart to see all this, just be careful and don't lose that rice pin or magnets.

If that's not what you're asking, I'm stumped.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Are you saying the rice pin is the current bridge between the bottom magnet and the battery tube?

No the rice pin is more or less a guide to keep the bottom part of the switch more on the stable side when you depress it (though the design is less than ideal). The "current bridge" is the magnets. Then the current flows from there to the threads on the inner part of the battery cap/button which then flows to the body.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    Looks like it is just us.
    The "current bridge" is the magnets. Then the current flows from there to the threads on the inner part of the battery cap/button which then flows to the body.

That is the part of the path I am questioning.

The magnet is on piece 1, the threads are on piece 2.
    The 2 pieces "touch" each other, but don't seem to be pushed together, and thus could provide a high resistance at this point.
    I've read that some people fill the gap between the pieces with grease.

I expected to find something firmly joining the 2 pieces (electrically).

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The magnet is on piece 1, the threads are on piece 2.

Correction: Magnet 1 is on piece 1 and magnet 2 is on piece 2.

Correction to my correction: Both magnets are on piece 2, if you define piece 2 as the whole switch assembly and piece 1 as the rest of the mod. Like I said before, if you take the switch assembly apart it will become apparent as to how it all works.

The whole idea of a magnetic switch is that there are 2 magnets push against each other in order to keep the mod from firing without your force. Same principle as a spring, but without the spring.

As far as high resistance due to switch design, well, it's an older mech.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Izan

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    Correction: Magnet 1 is on piece 1 and magnet 2 is on piece 2.
    No.
    The upper magnet is only electrically connected to the battery negative (it screws into an insulator). The bottom magnet is on piece 1. Piece 2 connects to the battery tube via the threads. It is separated from the upper magnet by the insulator.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No.
    The upper magnet is only electrically connected to the battery negative (it screws into an insulator). The bottom magnet is on piece 1. Piece 2 connects to the battery tube via the threads. It is separated from the upper magnet by the insulator.
    see my correction to my correction

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    Forgive my rotten sketch, it it obviously not precise.

ECF-sketch.JPG

Lets not define P2 as the whole switch.

As shown in the sketch P1 is not connected to P2. Of course in real life the gap between them is much smaller, so the 2 pieces "touch".
    But they don't seem to be pressed together to make a "good" contact, and if they have a film of grease even worse contact.
    Unless, I am missing something.

I expected some permanent connection between P1 and P2, shown by the dotted line. But there doesn't seem to be anything.

The switch I have has a lot of electrical resistance, either this is at the connection between P1 & P2 OR across the magnets.

Last edited:

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    Did you take the switch apart?
    Yes, I had to to clean it.

Also, do you have a clone or authentic?

Not sure, but I'm guessing a clone. It came to me from a friend of a friend.

They were not happy with it, and after some testing I discovered the resistance issue.

My original thought was that a part of the switch was missing, eg a leaf spring between P1 & P2 or something. It seemed that the current across 2 "touching" parts was unreliable. Probably why they were not happy with it.

Hense my original post to ask What path the current took between P1 & P2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread