How does one exactly sand down contacts of the mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyice

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Cali
I have a K100 right now and its performing decent. However I have heard from numerous people, both on this forum and in my general area, that it is possible for me to sand down the contacts of this mod, internally? To produce a less voltage drop, or less power?, as opposed to keeping the mod have chrome plated contacts...

My question then is, how exactly do I do this? What exactly are the "contacts"? What should I use to sand down these said contacts, sand paper? Haha, I really feel I lack information on how exactly to do this process as well as the information needed as to why I should do this.

Any help would be appreciated, feel free to post some pictures and videos to help a fellow vaper out!
Thanks!

icyice

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Cali
The "contacts" are the posts that touch both ends of the battery. And you "sand" them by rubbing them with sandpaper. use about a 200 grit.

is it really as simple as that?

So if I am understanding correctly, there are only 2 pieces I need to sand down to increase my voltage output, correct? Both pieces which are circle shaped and touch both ends of the battery???

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
is it really as simple as that?

So if I am understanding correctly, there are only 2 pieces I need to sand down to increase my voltage output, correct? Both pieces which are circle shaped and touch both ends of the battery???
there is 1 thing to consider when doing this, your contacts are currently shiny smooth, in a real way that also helps to keep metals from rust. once you begin sanding (which is just another word for scratching) you make micro homes for moisture excelerating the rust, not to mention after the rust begins to set in you started a nasty cycle of sand and rust, soon your contact will become shorter making for an even worse mech connection. if you do sand it might be better to go no lower than 600 grit, at that level you are more polishing than sanding. helping more than hindering.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
there is 1 thing to consider when doing this, your contacts are currently shiny smooth, in a real way that also helps to keep metals from rust. once you begin sanding (which is just another word for scratching) you make micro homes for moisture excelerating the rust, not to mention after the rust begins to set in you started a nasty cycle of sand and rust, soon your contact will become shorter making for an even worse mech connection. if you do sand it might be better to go no lower than 600 grit, at that level you are more polishing than sanding. helping more than hindering.

This is very helpful as it answers the grit question I've been wondering about. I got some 3M medium sand paper and it just seemed to be way too coarse. Didn't seem like all those scratches could be good for a connection, and your insight about what goes on with such a rough surface makes sense to me. I'm going fine grit from now on. Thanks for the info.

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
This is very helpful as it answers the grit question I've been wondering about. I got some 3M medium sand paper and it just seemed to be way too coarse. Didn't seem like all those scratches could be good for a connection, and your insight about what goes on with such a rough surface makes sense to me. I'm going fine grit from now on. Thanks for the info.

my pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread