How do you keep wire spools from unwinding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I take a drill to the outer portion of the spool somewhat away from the metal itself. On a large spool I usually put four around like 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Thread the wire through the hole at the amount you want and then snip it off.

I do something similar, I use a box cutter to make thin slits at a few places around the edge of the spool. I unwind what I need, then pull the wire into the nearest slit until it's snug, cut off what I want and the rest stays put. It's free, easy, and it works.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Beadalon Spool Tamers, it's all I use, pick them up at Michaels.

Designed to keep wire on the spool with easy access.
maxresdefault.jpg

Perfect! Wish I had known about these 3 or 4 unwound coils of spools ago lol!! Just ordered from Amazon for a few bucks.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Have known about Beadalon Spool Tamers since they first came out. However, I've never bought any before. The spools of Beadalon jewelry-making wire I've used for 18 years...always come with a wide, clear plastic, wire keeper on them. It flexes enough to just slip it on and then it stays pretty tightly around the spool. It isn't a complete circle, so there's a gap to pull out what's needed each time while keeping the rest from unwinding.

You'd think that the makers of coil-building wire could easily put one of those on each spool when they make it. Wouldn't cost them but maybe 2-3 cents.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Who would'a thunk Michael's sells vape supplies...o_O

They carry them because of the spools of jewelry wire they sell. Some people don't care for the plastic ring that comes with the spools, or they break it. I'm sure Beadalon and the vendors, don't mind the additional purchases from vapers at all. :thumbs:

In fact, I just bought a set of 3 Beadalon Spool Tamers on eBay, from a jewelry supplies seller I've dealth with for years. Cost me a whole $.35 including S/H since I used a surprise pop-up $5 off eBay coupon. Interested to see if they're really any better than the free plastic ring.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Have known about Beadalon Spool Tamers since they first came out. However, I've never bought any before. The spools of Beadalon jewelry-making wire I've used for 18 years...always come with a wide, clear plastic, wire keeper on them. It flexes enough to just slip it on and then it stays pretty tightly around the spool. It isn't a complete circle, so there's a gap to pull out what's needed each time while keeping the rest from unwinding.

You'd think that the makers of coil-building wire could easily put one of those on each spool when they make it. Wouldn't cost them but maybe 2-3 cents.
So I immediately googled those tamer things because daaaamn! and I ran across this video in the “related” section from an ecig fourm in South Africa of all things. Me likee
The setup.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I use an old trick that I learned from someone here (I think) back in the dark ages...
I cut a piece from an eraser, the kind some of us used to have in our school supplies, to wedge in the spool.
It's not as elegant as the wire tamer, but it works to keep it from unwinding. Recycle & re-use LOL.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I can't watch it to see what it's about, unfortunately (Windows 10 updating processes, internet connection speed, etc.). Got any "Cliff Notes" on what it shows? :D
The title is “lazy ... Claptons”. It shows how using a guide made out of an empty coil cartridge, one of those coil tamer devices and a weight, one can create an automatic Clapton coil winder.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's just a rubber band with a loop twisted in it.
Sort of. It’s also got a handle and a hole. Would such a thing be makable with a rubber band and some cardboard or something? Sure. Which is why I suspect they’re so cheap. Anyone who needs one is already a DIY type. They need to be cheap enough to not be worth the trouble of building yourself.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Sort of. It’s also got a handle and a hole. Would such a thing be makable with a rubber band and some cardboard or something? Sure. Which is why I suspect they’re so cheap. Anyone who needs one is already a DIY type. They need to be cheap enough to not be worth the trouble of building yourself.
No, my post saying it was just a rubber band with the loop was in response to CMD Ky's question about this pic I posted, not the Beadalon or other devices.
upload_2019-3-6_18-51-31.png

Me, I just use the slot already in the spool, cut one myself, or just push it thru a hole in the spool. Since I usually make my coils a dozen or so at a time, I don't really need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread