HK Urges Public To Stop Using Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riffmaster

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Thanks for posting that official response. It's very well reasoned and leaves nothing for argument unless it's zero-nic carts (in which I personally have zero interest, as would most smokers seeking an alternative to cigarettes).

Of course, all a regulatory agency has to do is a cursory Google search to turn up outrageous and false claims of these being healthy, a way off cigarettes, etc., all which fall under the outlines presented in the Hong Kong statement.

Thanks again for getting some insight into what seemed a rather arbitrary action.

Tropical Bob,
Yes that was exactly what my reply email to the Health Dept ! Asking specifically if the e cigarette contains "Zero" nicotine, it that still require prior approval/registration. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I know it doesnt look very promising, do you think there is slim chance of passing the health dept approval process ?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The arguments apply less to a device that doesn't deliver nicotine. But such a device would still be used to treat a medical condition -- nicotine addiction. There's a chance an e-cig without a nic cart could be allowed, but authorities can find a legal clause to ban even those. Such a device would be little more than a "pretend" cigarette -- but Mexico banned those! No bubble gum cigars in Mexico!

It's tough because every government depends on tobacco taxes. E-smoking doesn't have heavy taxes and they won't be easy to implement, unless the type of device is made a single-unit, tamper-proof tube with regulated nicotine content (say, 2mg maximum).

I think at the least we're in for vapus interruptus while things get sorted out.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
The arguments apply less to a device that doesn't deliver nicotine. But such a device would still be used to treat a medical condition -- nicotine addiction. There's a chance an e-cig without a nic cart could be allowed, but authorities can find a legal clause to ban even those. Such a device would be little more than a "pretend" cigarette -- but Mexico banned those! No bubble gum cigars in Mexico!

It's tough because every government depends on tobacco taxes. E-smoking doesn't have heavy taxes and they won't be easy to implement, unless the type of device is made a single-unit, tamper-proof tube with regulated nicotine content (say, 2mg maximum).

I think at the least we're in for vapus interruptus while things get sorted out.

I know this is hard to say, but I've seen you use your crystal ball before TB :)

Are you thinking any kind of ban would come down in weeks or would it be more like months. I know Canada is set to make a ruling on this by the end of the month, but what about in the US.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
I don't want to get all...conspiracy theory...in here but...

Anyone else think Big Tobacco is paying fro some of this resistance?

I think big tobacco is clearly behind it. Wasn't Phillip Morris on of the companies behind the FDA bill? I said it in another post and I'll say it again, this whole situation is going to create some strange bedfellows.

Riffmaster

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Hong Kong

Tropical Bob,

Guess what, I received another reply from the Health Dept following my email asking if Nic free e cig is legal. I hope i am not pissing them too badly, I just cant help but to get to the bottom of it as i refuse to go back to smoking regular .......yuk !!! From their reply i sense they are trying to kick the ball out of their court, here is the reply in its entirely.
Appreciate everyone's thought on this, I am not quitter.....;)

I refer to your emails dated 5 , 9 and 11 March 2009.
There are two factors upon which our office decides whether a product
is considered as a pharmaceutical product and they are the composition
of the product and the usage claim made in relation to the product.
Therefore, information on a product in addition to just 'non-nicotine
containing' is required before we can advise on its pharmaceutical
product classification.
If you wish to seek our advice on the classification of a particular
non-nicotine containing electronic cigarette product, please provide
the following information:
(a) Complete master formula of the product issued by the manufacturer,
providing the names and quantities of all ingredients and stating their
Latin Botanical/Zoological name (s), if applicable.
(b) Actual or prototype sales pack of the product for use in Hong
Kong.
(c) Package insert or promotional material of the product, if any, to
be used in Hong Kong.
(d) Documentation evidence issued by the Health Authority of the
country of origin confirming whether or not the product is classified
as medical device.
Regards,
Grace W Wong
Pharmaceuticals Registration Section
Pharmaceutical Service
Department of Health

caywen

Mar 4, 2009
I, for one, support FDA regulation of tobacco. Someone should force the tobacco companies to not add chemicals that cause cancer and increase addictiveness. Cigarettes are too easy to get, and I wouldn't want my kids ever getting their hands on one. FDA should kick tobacco's ....

I even support the FDA regulating e-cigarettes. They really should test the devices and the juice, and set some guidelines on what claims they can and cannot make. And also set some guidelines as to how much nicotine is safe to put in the e-juice.

I've put aside my e-cig and have decided to just quit until something can show me that the Chinese didn't stick lead in the atomizer. Pity, because I just ordered a lot of JC juice as a stockpile. But after reading a lot about this, I think a little caution with these things is warranted.

The thing that just plain irritates me, however, is that our government would presume to ban e-cigs instead super addictive, deadly cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread